• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Chemotherapy

Will the winch be able to be worked on if it has issues once all the stuff is stuffed in the engine bay?

With a stock crossmember, it's been measured that there's 7/8" between the top of a winch and the HB. The feet of my crossmember are 1.75" farther towards the front of the vehicle, so I should be able to drop it down without issue. I pretty much copied my friend Colin's (Moparmaniac) design. Here's a pic from his build thread (I don't have my engine in to show you :()

IMAG0158.jpg

I just spent forever staring at my engine (on the stand) and moving the M90 around.

I decided a few things:

-I'm missing the output flange & tube
-I refuse to cut the hood
-I'm going to use its factory intake tube with a short ram intake poking out the fenderwell. Reasons this is good: Water is dumb and I don't play in it, it will effectively be a CAI, the factory tube has 4 bungs in it (meaning I have to make one less pipe). 2 of the bungs will be sealed off, one will be a boost gauge, the other will be a BOV or DV
-The rear outside most bolt hole for mounting the AC compressor will be the front center bolt hole of the M90
-I will probably need to relocate the battery, coolant overflow tank, and shimmy the fuse box.
-I hope it leaves room for my front air shocks/coil overs

148754_891239531762_9120626_47534342_3664101_n.jpg

74021_891239471882_9120626_47534341_6368095_n.jpg

77106_891239431962_9120626_47534340_4608985_n.jpg

I think the next step is to drop this configuration into the engine bay and see what it gives me for space.

Edit: Other thoughts
-the HB is 6.5" dia, SC pulley is 3"
-SC pulley has 2 more grooves than the stock xj belt. Oh well, it won't hurt it.

Last edited:
Edit: Other thoughts
-the HB is 6.5" dia, SC pulley is 3"
-SC pulley has 2 more grooves than the stock xj belt. Oh well, it won't hurt it.

I already told you, get another pulley. Smaller pulley + correct belt width = more boost :D

I wouldn't commit to anything until you get the suspension and everything else done.

Looks sweet though!

:thumbup:
We'll see... I'll know more when I drop it in the engine bay for a test fit in this configuration.
Would you just start working on the back already?! :) Ya don't need an ENGINE!
In due time... After the engine and transmission are back in (permanently) the rear will be the next order of business.
I already told you, get another pulley. Smaller pulley + correct belt width = more boost :D
I already told you, I don't want to throw rods.

Last edited:
So, I don't know what I was smoking earlier. Using the intake tube for its 4 bungs won't do me a damn bit of good. :doh:

How well will a vacuum-assist brake booster work with 5+ psi of boost?

I'm giving Colin credit for the solution to this one - hydroboost (whatever the cost).

edit: no, I haven't figured out any of the details.

I'm giving Colin credit for the solution to this one - hydroboost (whatever the cost).

edit: no, I haven't figured out any of the details.

Colin will be reciprocating that credit to me.

I'm going to use its factory intake tube with a short ram intake poking out the fenderwell. Reasons this is good: Water is dumb and I don't play in it.
Agreed, but...
What happens when you have no choice? We do live in NE.
What happens when it rains and the engine is sucking air in?
What happens when you turn and the tire is flinging stuff at it?
What happens when/if you put that fender into a rock/tree?

:thumbup:

Yo check out his edit, apparently he hasn't figured out the details. What details? :dunno: Unbolt vacuum assist booster and bolt in hydroboost. :dunno:

Last edited:
that's what I was wondering... cruise control solenoid isn't gonna work either :wierd: nor the HVAC controls to some degree.

I would do the cowl intake mod - connect intake to a tube going to a cone filter (or even better, a small snorkel) inside/through the cowl vent area. ehall has it in his thread, so do a couple others.

EDIT: how's clearance on the distributor cap? how much of a pain in the ass is maintenance gonna be? Might want to take some of that into consideration when mounting it.

Agreed, but...
What happens when you have no choice? We do live in NE.
What happens when it rains and the engine is sucking air in?
What happens when you turn and the tire is flinging stuff at it?
What happens when/if you put that fender into a rock/tree?
Good points. I can think of one trail in particular that this would be a problem as it is always flooded with several feet.

The fenders will be reinforced with tube/a bit of an engine cage sorta like your fenders are. It will all help to support the coilovers/airshocks.

Mayhaps I'll abandon this idea. I was sort of on the fence for the reasons of 'what if I have no choice' and fouling.

No matter what, I want it to be pulling air from outside the engine bay. I know my engine bay is going to get hot and I want to keep it from knocking. If I need to do a hood scoop, I will (but would prefer not to). Other ideas are a snorkel of sorts or an under-the-cowl mounted cone filter. Using its intake tube for anything other than a short ram seems counterproductive because it points in the wrong direction for a snorkel. Maybe it will all become clear when I do a test fit in the engine bay. Not likely, though.

that's what I was wondering... cruise control solenoid isn't gonna work either :wierd: nor the HVAC controls to some degree.

I would do the cowl intake mod - connect intake to a tube going to a cone filter (or even better, a small snorkel) inside/through the cowl vent area. ehall has it in his thread, so do a couple others.

EDIT: how's clearance on the distributor cap? how much of a pain in the ass is maintenance gonna be? Might want to take some of that into consideration when mounting it.
Haha, I took out the CC system. This thing will be lucky to be street legal, nevermind get on the highway.

I like where your head is at with the cowl mount.

I put wires on the cap while I was mocking it up and seeing if I had room to remove them (I do, but not by much). That's one of the things I was concerned about because it's the only thing (other than the alt) I can't move on that side of the engine bay.

Buy the kit ;)

505 Performance's kit ;)
Ugh, didn't want to build the internals. If I do, it's going to be a hell of a lot more than just that.

Yo check out his edit, apparently he hasn't figured out the details. What details? :dunno: Unbolt vacuum assist booster and bolt in hydroboost. :dunno:
I'm sure it's a bit more complex than that...

Last edited:
I'd worry about upper shock placement first, the intake (well the getting clean air into the charger) is probably the least of the issues you are going to have.
Put the engine in, get an idea of where the shock is going to be (idea, not final mounted) then mount and do the charger.

Other than that, this should be pretty neat.

My CTD has a vacuum pump to operate those kinds of accessories. Not sure how that would help Anthony in an already cluttered engine bay.

I'd worry about upper shock placement first, the intake (well the getting clean air into the charger) is probably the least of the issues you are going to have.
Put the engine in, get an idea of where the shock is going to be (idea, not final mounted) then mount and do the charger.

^This.

Back