• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering MEGA thread

If Billy doesn't mind, maybe we can pool some information from other threads here. Here's an informative quote on Durango boxes from another thread:

I just installed the Durango box with an aftermarket spacer and could'nt be happier. Use 7/16" x 4" bolts and extra washers as spacers for box to frame(unibody) clearance.

I used this information from NWJEEPN.COM

1. "The Durango steering gear is more heavy duty than the XJ" This is a hard statement to quantify. It depends on what you consider to be "heavy duty". The fact is that the Durango gear has the same casting thickness to the housing as the XJ, however the actual size of the piston and bore are a bigger diameter than the XJ. Therefore the Durango gear is better suited for turning larger tires and is the entire reason for changing over to it if you are running larger tires on your Jeep.
2. "The Durango gear has a tighter turning radius" Absolutely not! It's funny to read the forums and see what some people write. Turning radius is determined by where your steering stops are set at the axle not the steering gear.
3. "The Durango gear with the 3 3/8 "stop to stop" is faster than the one with 2 15/16 turns because it is a higher ratio" This is a very common misconception as a lot of guys think of this number as a "Ratio" IT IS NOT A RATIO, it is an actual measurement of number of turns from stop to stop and refers to how many full turns of the steering wheel it takes to go from one steering stop (full left for example) to the other (full right). The lesser the turns of the wheel the "faster" the steering is said to be. Therefore if you have a gear that takes 4 turns from stop to stop it would take 4 full revolutions of the wheel to go from full turn in one direction to the other. The stock XJs gear is 3 3/8 turns lock to lock. The Non-Snow package gear on the Durango is 2 15/16" which is a bit faster but isn't really that big a difference as to be noticeable in everyday driving.
4. "The Durango gear with the snow plow option is heavier duty" The difference between the two options as it was explained to us by our local steering gear re builder is that the gear with the snow plow option had extra ports for the plow lines and also have the larger stop to stop number (see specs below). Therefore the "NON-plow" gear is the one that you want for the XJ swap. There is no difference in the housing thickness or piston/bore diameter.
The questions we see asked most often are these:​
1. "Which year Durango gear do I use?" The answer here is '98 or '99 Durangos, non-plow option. I have not seen a difference in part numbers due to the engine installed but if you are asked, specify the 318 engine. We prefer the non-snow option gear due to the above listed quicker steering response.
2. "What year of XJs does this swap work on?" 1987-2002 model year XJs. The hose size, bolt patterns and steering shaft input are identical for these years XJ boxes to the '98 and '99 Durangos.
3. "Will replacing the steering gear fix the loose steering on my lifted XJ?" The answer here really is no. Several things can contribute to loose steering which can include but are not limited to: Loose tie rod ends, worn steering column shaft or joints, loose or broken pitman arm, ball joints and caster angle. Also, DO NOT think that replacing the steering stabilizer will fix loose steering problems. Replacing the gear gear will rarely fix loose steering either. Usually the gear is replaced when an over abundance of oil is seen leaking from it's seals. Most owners will report that changing from the stock XJ gear to the Durango gear did nothing to fix a loose steering condition.
4. "Can the gear be adjusted to solve loose steering?" Yes and No, there is an adjustment for the gear lash on top of the saginaw gear boxes however they are usually adjusted correctly from the factory or rebuild shop. Improper adjustment of the nut on top of the gear can lead to binding of the gears and destruction of the gear, therefore it is advised that if you don't know what you are doing you leave it to a good mechanic that does. Also from what we have seen, adjusting the gear rarely completely solves loose steering problems.
A few things to consider about doing the Durango gear swap:
If you have a stock XJ there is no real reason to do this swap.​
The major reason for the Durango swap is due to the increased turning power provided by the larger internal piston which is better suited for Jeeps with larger than stock tires (34" or larger)
A word on core returns:

The pimple faced kid at the local Shucks/Checker or Autozone parts store probably knows much less about actual auto parts than he does about loud chrome mufflers for Hondas so you may slide your XJ gear past them as a core return for the Durango gear. However, most knowledgeable mechanics and re builders will check part numbers and can tell the difference. Ask if you can return a stock XJ gear in exchange for the Durango gear BEFORE you buy just in case, otherwise you could be out a lot of money.

The Specifics:
Swap only good on '87 -'02 model XJs
Durango gear needed: '98 or '99, V8 engine. We prefer the NON-Snow gear for it's slightly faster turning.

Stock XJ gear:
Number of Mounting Holes: 3
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 3/8
Input Shaft Diameter: 3/4"
Line Thread Size: M18x1.5; M16x1.5
Output Shaft Diameter: 1.25"
NAPA Part#: NSP277582
Durango NON-Snow Package:
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 2 15/16
Type of Hose Ports: O Ring
Napa Part#: NSP277588
Durango Snow Package:
Number of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 3/8
Type of Hose Ports: O Ring
NAPA Part#: NSP277580

I was just reading back through this thread. I put a YJ box on mine and couldn't be happier. I love the ratio, the effort, the strength, everything... I believe that the short wheelbase negate the need for a faster ratio box on anything other than maybe a street only stock height corner turning type buildup. I also have a Camaro with the 12.7-1 box on it. It will turn so fast that whipping that vehicle into a slide on command isn't very difficult. I think the added turning speed could be dangerous when coupled with the short wheelbase, a lift and the possibility of an evasive manuver at any vehicle speed at all....

Last edited:
So has your YJ box reduced the steering effort? I was under impression that the YJ boxes were the same size as XJ boxes. They just have the extra mount tab, right?

Yes, it did reduce effort. With the power assist the change is probably not noticeable, but without it the change is huge. As for the 12.7 box in my Camaro, it took considerably more effort with or without assist and acted like the pump had trouble keeping up unless the engine was spinning at considerably more than idle RPM's.

edit: Yeah, they are the same physical size but have a 4th tab.

Last edited:
and thus today i have noticed a trend that most if not all stock XJ boxes are what we call "z" boxes or what others would call a fast ratio box....i believe what mr diamond is calling a 12.7 box.....

Last edited:
Sorry to bring up a old thread but there is alot of good info on the Durango steering box. I have one on my XJ with 40's and it works great, I'm now upgrading my steering with hydro assist and want to install either a ems offroad, diy4x, or jkw offroad end cap that replaces the Durango steering boxes stock end cap. But I'm not able to measure my end cap on the durango box, and I wanna make sure that I buy the right end cap. Could somebody measure the Diameter for me? I believe its about 3.5". Would appreciate the help

Mike

Sorry to bring up a old thread but there is alot of good info on the Durango steering box. I have one on my XJ with 40's and it works great, I'm now upgrading my steering with hydro assist and want to install either a ems offroad, diy4x, or jkw offroad end cap that replaces the Durango steering boxes stock end cap. But I'm not able to measure my end cap on the durango box, and I wanna make sure that I buy the right end cap. Could somebody measure the Diameter for me? I believe its about 3.5". Would appreciate the help

Mike
Why are you replacing the end cap. I have rebuilt a ton of boxes and have never needed to replace a cap. I drill and tap in a different place. I you use the end cap to mount a hose, you will have fun putting it in an XJ as the end is up against the cross brace.

Back