• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking up a 1989 XJ Limited this saturday...

spray it either before you drive home (if it's not more than 10-15 minutes) or immediately after getting home. You don't want it to dry before you hose it off.
Okay It's a 45 minute trip so I will do it when I get home.

When you get a chance you need to change the fuel filter..You ran it out of gas..How old was the gas in the tank, it may just need a good tank of gas an some cleaner to run throw it..
The tank was empty and they put some gas in it for me to test drive it. And cleaner as in injector cleaner? Or fuel treatment stuff?

jE7Dm.jpg
GD5HG.jpg

More to come shortly (engine shots and shots of underneath..)

Also still, does anybody know what year range jeep had the rims on this one? And with the 242 TC there is no vacuum disconnect on the front axle correct? (for 4x4)

as far as undercar shots and engine pics, take them from a foot or two farther away-- it'll allow the camera to focus better and show things in relation to other features.

back lighting will make everything look better and lighting from the sides will let true flaws show.

:gag: :roll:

Some more photos here. And yeah I am a photographer. My mom was rushing me and I was using the lady's point and shoot to take a few quick snaps. Anyone know of that "Chrysler valet" thing to the left of the steering column?

1fQ1C.jpg

EtgwG.jpg

XRbaj.jpg

h4An1.jpg

Oh and I believe that is a d35 rear?

Last edited:
Well I hope you all like what you see. I most certainly do. I'm going to have much fun and I have a job so I can more properly keep up with this xj. Off to weed wack all day :p

Save the goggles 'til you're done and throw them away, knowing you can buy 14 more pair before you have spent the same amount as one co-pay at the hospital.
This is the truth.

I calculated it out and I can buy a 4 dollar full-face shield at harbor freight EVERY SINGLE DAY for the next 3.5 years before I even come close to the sum my insurance company ended up giving the hospital to get the metal out of my eye. And that's not even including the fact that I won't have to go through that kind of severe discomfort again because of it...

Wear your eye protection. You only have two of them, make them last.

This is the truth.

I calculated it out and I can buy a 4 dollar full-face shield at harbor freight EVERY SINGLE DAY for the next 3.5 years before I even come close to the sum my insurance company ended up giving the hospital to get the metal out of my eye. And that's not even including the fact that I won't have to go through that kind of severe discomfort again because of it...

Wear your eye protection. You only have two of them, make them last.
Will most certainly wear eye protection. I got goggles for work. But I'd rather mess up a few 1 dollar pairs.

Nice Jeep. I have the exact same one, but in dark blue and with a laundry list of modifications. The full-time 4 wheel drive option is nice cause you can use it on the streets. If it has ABS (check for wires going to the brakes) then I believe it will also have larger u-joints. It is also a non-disconnect Dana 30 which is good. Less power than a HO, I believe the difference is like 20hp, but I have never felt underpowered in mine. Probably a Dana 35 rear, but I cant tell without a clear picture of the diff cover. After looking at your pictures I am glad mine has lived its whole life on the west coast cause it has 220,000 miles and a lot less rust. A good deal for $500.

I plan to spray oven cleaner on all the rust, unibody, engine trans and tcase. Then maybe black rustoleum on the surface rust? I'm figuring it has a dana35. I'm not sure if its a factory hitch. If it is I think it would be an 8.25? I think there used to be a remote too because of the "Chrysler valet" thing to the left of the steering column.

What mods have you done?

They didn't use the 8.25 in XJs till 91 or 92 iirc. It's almost certainly a 35.

Also, if it has ABS (it does not appear to, I don't see the sensor lines next to the rear brake line) you need to rip it all out and toss it before it kills you.

All XJs with the towing package from 1987 -1989 came with a Dana 44, all others that year had a Dana 35. The only good thing about the Dana 35 from that year is that it should be a non c-clip axle. If it is a 35 the diff cover will look pretty much round. A 44 will have more angles to it. Here is a good link to help you detemine what rear end you have http://www.g-body.org/tnt/diffs/diff-housings.php.

X2 to what was said above about the ABS. If you have it tear out the lines and remove the ABS fuse. Ideally I would reccomend replacing the whole break system with a WJ booster and master cylinder (look for writeups on it). I plan to do that eventually but my jeep is not my daily driver so I am still using my crippled ABS system for now. If it did come with ABS I would not be surprised if someone already tore it out.

All XJs with the towing package from 1987 -1989 came with a Dana 44, all others that year had a Dana 35. The only good thing about the Dana 35 from that year is that it should be a non c-clip axle. If it is a 35 the diff cover will look pretty much round. A 44 will have more angles to it. Here is a good link to help you detemine what rear end you have http://www.g-body.org/tnt/diffs/diff-housings.php.

X2 to what was said above about the ABS. If you have it tear out the lines and remove the ABS fuse. Ideally I would reccomend replacing the whole break system with a WJ booster and master cylinder (look for writeups on it). I plan to do that eventually but my jeep is not my daily driver so I am still using my crippled ABS system for now. If it did come with ABS I would not be surprised if someone already tore it out.
On anything 91 and older you MUST remove the whole system and replace it with a new booster, master, etc etc - the Bendix ABS system has been known to *ahem* fail at inopportune times. Not being an arse here, just don't want you guys wadding your XJs up and getting injured...

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

All XJs with the towing package from 1987 -1989 came with a Dana 44, all others that year had a Dana 35.

I have to say your wrong on this..My 89 has the factory towing package with 373 gears in it..I had a D35..I think my build date was like 3/1989..I am the second owner..

Back