• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

peugeot swap and flywheel?

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
OK, been searchin for a few hours...maybe i'm not too good at it...

about to swap in a ax-15 (i've been saying this for about a year) for my peugeot in me '88. I'm at the point where i need to purchase clutch/pp/TObearing stuff and am also curious about flywheel resurface/replacement. The new setup will be external slave.

do i need a new flywheel? or will the stock one on the '88 work with a '94 ax-15 clutch?

I have read about the '94 flywheel being concaved...so machining a new wear surface is out of the quesiton.... is this correct?

I have a '94 flywheel that is all burnt and schmeared and would need some work if possible. Or, i could have the '88 flywheel reworked, or i could go buy a new one...and what year would i buy?

I'm tryin to get all the parts today (my day off) and get started this weekend.

Thanks

As I recall, they're all the same clutch. The RENIX and HO crankshaft position sensors are different - as are, I believe, the flywheels.

So, you would likely not be able to use the later flywheel - you should be able to use your old clutch (less hydraulic bearing) with the old flywheel.

You lucky pup! I've been trying to nail down a cheap/rebulidable AX15 or NV3550 (better) for a couple of years now - I'm on my third Peugeot since I got my 88! The saving grace of the Peugeot is that I can usually get them for free (from people who have upgraded...)

5-90

5-90,

Thank you for the quick response. Considering that the clutch was just replaced about a year ago...I'll most likely open it up and see what i find...if nothing's too bad, i'll just use the old one.

Napa is what i was thinking for a new clutch if i need to...any bad experiences /opinions with Napa replacement clutches on an '88?

THanks

Nah. I've used most clutches, and haven't had any trouble with them. I am, however, seriously considering having a custom clutch made, if I finally upgrade my damn Peugeot while I'm still living in San Jose - there's a local shop that does them. I'm a little "hard" on clutches - not because I ride the clutch or cover the pedal, but because I'm a "spirited" driver (which may have something to do with going through so many Peugeot gearboxes...)

If I like the work he does, I'll be sure to post here, and see if he's willing to do something like the deal I've worked out with San Jose Generator (see my website.)

5-90

You'll need an odd sized pilot bearing from what I've seen.
I believe the diameter of the AX15 shaft is larger than the peugot shaft while the bore of the Renix crankshaft is smaller than the HO crank. (or vice versa)

You'll have to use the renix flywheel & CPS sensor to get it to start/run.

Last edited:
Thanks, I plan to stick with the '88 parts now.

The tranny im going to use is pictured here http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jjvanden/detail?.dir=8a76&.dnm=c8d8re2.jpg&.src=ph
next to another ax-15. The one with the small dia. input shaft is from a '91 and is the tranny i plan to install (note that i have swapped the bearing cover from the '94 sitting next to it) So, im not sure what I'll have to do with the pilot bearing... will that smaller dia. shaft work with the stock '88 renix crank and PB?

-J

looks like the Napa clutch comes with the internal slave...which i dont need...still, it's $220 for the kit.

any sugestions on another brand that i can just buy the clutch and pressure plate? though i will still need a new TO bearing for the external setup...dealer?

This info is not completely accurate, as it has been 7 years since the swap I
did, but IIRC, I used pilot bearing from a '72 cj5 with a 304 and 3-speed.
Could someone else chime in with pilot bearing info?

If you are trying to use a clutch set for an external slave, request a clutch from a 95 cherokee which should be external. What are you going to do about the 91 AX-15 bellhousing not having the setup for an external slave? Are you going to run a 94+ bellhousing?

5-90 said:
As I recall, they're all the same clutch. The RENIX and HO crankshaft position sensors are different - as are, I believe, the flywheels.

So, you would likely not be able to use the later flywheel - you should be able to use your old clutch (less hydraulic bearing) with the old flywheel.

You lucky pup! I've been trying to nail down a cheap/rebulidable AX15 or NV3550 (better) for a couple of years now - I'm on my third Peugeot since I got my 88! The saving grace of the Peugeot is that I can usually get them for free (from people who have upgraded...)

5-90

Too bad you're down in SoCal, otherwise I have a free AX-15 that needs the input shaft fixed and the input bearing replaced. Had a pilot bearing tear up the input and caused the input bearing to go south. Other than that I rebuilt it 30k miles ago with new bearings and brass.

I'm not. I'm in San Jose, which is about 45 minutes (without traffic...) south of San Francisco.

Idaho is still a little far for a train - maybe a relay? Or, I might be taking a road trip in a few months...

I don't mind working on a gearbox, as long as the price is right...

5-90

I'm up in the Idaho Panhandle, about 30 miles from Spokane WA. Still a long road trip.

Worst part about this tranny is the end of the input shaft is chewed up. To fix it properly means pulling the input shaft and getting it into a lathe to true it up and then either sleeving it or running a custom pilot bushing. I decided it was way too much work to pull apart and press everything back off the input shaft, so I swapped in an AW4 I had sitting in the garage.

Damn. I do have access to a machine shop at school, but it would be a bit out of my way (I'm planning on driving to Indiana to visit family again, when I have the time to spare...) I drive everywhere I can, not only because I just despise airline security (which to farcical to even be illusory...) but because the seats on the airplanes are too damn close together...

5-90

bajacalal said:
If you are trying to use a clutch set for an external slave, request a clutch from a 95 cherokee which should be external. What are you going to do about the 91 AX-15 bellhousing not having the setup for an external slave? Are you going to run a 94+ bellhousing?

ahhh...yes...not sure why i didnt think about that.
:confused1

The late model BH and all internals came with the '94 pictured, so no worries there.

Worst part about this tranny is the end of the input shaft is chewed up. To fix it properly means pulling the input shaft and getting it into a lathe to true it up and then either sleeving it or running a custom pilot bushing. I decided it was way too much work to pull apart and press everything back off the input shaft, so I swapped in an AW4 I had sitting in the garage. 13 Hours Ago 22:38

this brings up another possible issue. if you look at this picture http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jjvanden/detail?.dir=8a76&.dnm=89afre2.jpg&.src=ph the surface of the input shaft where it engages the PB is slightly corroded and there is also slight pitting. The reflictive areas are what's left of the normal wear surface. I would think this could be a problem ... Is it something i should worry about?

Thanks

...about to go tear out the peugeot...after i go fix the hydraulic jack(from wallmart) and buy an air compressor.

so three trips to Lowes later...i have a air compressor. OMG...

trip 1: locked keys in car
trip 2: ride back from my house with keys
trip 3: exchanging the compressor for another one because it was a piece and leaked like you know what.

Any thoughts on the imput shaft pictures?

Thanks

...guess I"ll have to tackle the tranny tomorrow.

After i remove the tranny and case, will i need to support the engine in any way? Or, will it sit on the engine mounts?

THe plan is to pull everything in the garage...then push the jeep out so i can park the commuter in there the rest of the week.

Thanks

It will stay on the engine mounts, but it will tip backwards. A piece of wood and jack under the back of the oil pan should help hold it level. If not, it will tip back and stop when the valve cover hits the firewall. I also stick a 2x4 between the back of the engine and the firewall so if the jack kicks out (or it's in my way) the engine will only tip backwards a little.

so would you think that i could just use a piece of wood between the firewalll and engine to hold it there while i roll the jeep out of the garage?

jjvande said:
so would you think that i could just use a piece of wood between the firewalll and engine to hold it there while i roll the jeep out of the garage?

Don't see why not as long as you don't do any sudden stops and go slow. I guess the only real danger is a quick stop and the engine tipping forward and putting something through the radiator. I had mine sitting with just a block between the engine and firewall for quite awhile in the driveway.

Cool,

well I've goe everything down to two upper bolts on the BH, two bolts on the Clayton Crossmember, and the hydraulic line to the slave. I'll have to wait till someone can help me lower the assembly either tonight, or one night this week. I will use a piece of 2X4 about 4" long behind the valve cover to rest the engine. MORE poly mounts shouldnt want to twist very much so we'll see how it goes.

THanks

Back