• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

peugeot swap and flywheel?

It isn't a hard thing to do,looking back on my swap the hardest part was figuring out which parts I needed to make it work.With the right parts it should "fall" together.The cross member(this is a 89) is one of the notable changes made in the swap,on mine I had to move it rearward(instead of the measurement from the lower control arm mount to cross member being 10" it's 14" now)but the holes are already there,they just need to be tapped.The cross member on my 89 even had the a second set of holes from the factory which are the correct pattern for the ax mount.......convenient?Yes.

when ordering clutch parts I ordered 95 parts instead of 89 parts and everything went together fine.

Make sure the ax you have has a vent on it.Some years did not have the vent on the tranny,it was on the shift tower.When I got my tranny from man-trans.com it did not have a vent,which I suspect this is a earlier year transmission(correct me if I'm wrong here)and since the tranny did not come with shifter and shift tower I had to buy one separately,and of course the shifter didn't have a vent built in so I had to make one.All of this I had to realize on my own(hey ma I did it all by myself!!)because in all the searching I did before and during the swap I saw no mention of this important little detail..

Last edited:
jeepdeepfreak said:
The cross member(this is a 89) is one of the notable changes made in the swap,on mine I had to move it rearward(instead of the measurement from the lower control arm mount to cross member being 10" it's 14" now)but the holes are already there,they just need to be tapped.The cross member on my 89 even had the a second set of holes from the factory which are the correct pattern for the ax mount.......convenient?Yes.

I just went outside and looked at my crossmember to refresh my memory (picture me tip-toeing out onto the wet driveway in my socks). Sure enough there is a another set of holes to mount the crossmember further forward. The middle set of holes gets used for both the forward and aft positions. Both the AW4 and the AX15 seem to use the rearward position of the crossmember. I remember from my AX15 to AW4 swap that it bolted back up in the same place. I also remember one of the nutserts spinning in the hole and tack welding it in place.

yup.......there are also another set of holes in the cross member that facilitate the ax15 mount perfectly....I think they are farther to the left or the right than the peugeot mount,but I don't remember right now.Just take a look at your cross member and you'll see what I'm talking about.

When you get around to the linkage, you may want to look at the Novak NP231 Shifter Assembly. I swapped in an AX15 4 years, and my linkage was never really right, until I got rid of the factory body bell crank linkage.

OK,

so i took 1/2 the day off (i love my job) and pulled everything out. This was really easy.

I will have to modify my clayton crossmember to work with the ax-15. So thanks for the tips on the stock CM, good info to have in the post. When i ordered the clayton kit, i sent him measurements for a crossmember that would bolt up to the peugeot and permit the use of the normal 36" arms with his LA kit. THis was back when it first came out and was still in development. It basically jogs forward 4" and the susp. mounts weld in the same location as on the ax-15 XJ. Just will have to weld in a straight section of tube and drill the proper holes. No biggie.

So now that i'ts all out. Im going to rebuild the transfercase, figure out what to do about the hydraulics and transfercase linkage. I've got a one piece hydro slave/master combo from OEM used. I will either see if it's easier to modify the firewall, or get a custom line made to fit the new slave to the '88 master.

It looks like the stock pilot bearing will work with the '91 tranny that I'm using. Also, i've got the vented shifter housing...plan to thread a fitting in there that will let me attach a hose up into the engine compartment. Neither the '94, nor the '91 has a vent on the tranny itself. I think while i've got it all out its time to install some frame stiffeners a la TNT.

Tearing everything out was fun...esp since i forgot to clean the mud off.....

Thanks

-J

Just picked up a tranny mount from an ax-15 jeep so i'm good there.

get this...

just took some measurements:

1)the lengths, including bell housings, are exactly the same (just under 24 inches) between the '88 peugeot and the '91 ax-15...i.e. no driveshaft mods:)

2) the location and dimensions of the stand-off used to mount the transfercase shift linkage are identical, respectively, between the '91 and '88 ax-15 and peugeot... i.e. no mods to the shift linkage.

sweet...

I did the swap 9 months ago and I still havent got my linkage hooked up.....anyone have the plate that mounts to the side of the ax15 to mount the linkage to????

Look at the t/c linkage mounting plate on the tranny hump below the drivers seat. Re-drill one hole for t/c linkage and adjust linkage and linkage is done.

jeepdeepfreak said:
I did the swap 9 months ago and I still havent got my linkage hooked up.....anyone have the plate that mounts to the side of the ax15 to mount the linkage to????

Did the one I mailed last week arrive yet? Post Office said 7-10 days so you should have it middle of this week. I sent the bracket that mounted under the xfercase-tranny bolts, the linkage rods, and the pivot arm.

You might have to redrill the bracket on the tranny tunnel. When I did the AX15->AW4 swap I redrilled the hole 2" further forward. And yes, it's a pain to redrill after the tranny is up in the way. An angle head drill is your friend.

It showed up today,thanks alot...I was starting to wonder if you forgot.Should have had more faith in you,huh?

cool that means I'll finally have 4x4 for 4-6" snow ohio is supposed to get today/tonight......

No problem. It's one less thing cluttering up my garage. One of these days, I make a list and stick it all on the "free-to-good-home" forum.

Update:

Transfercase: I tore it down...installed 23spl input gears..all new pads...and remembered to put the magnet in this time.

Tranny: The '91 tranny is all clean, bolted up to the '94 BH and ready to go.

Now i have some time with this swap because i decided to plate the frame and install full length MJ springs...so i get to make all new mounts for those also. Figure it will be easier while everything is out of the way.

This brings me to the hydraulics. I've got a used one piece unit from the dealer...but i hate to have to dig into the firewall and mess with anything under there. I hate that area on the jeep...so many wires that are old and ready to snap. I also just purchased a napa clutch kit and external slave. This slave has a bleeder, and a threaded fitting for hydro hose.

Does anyone know if I can simply use my '88 master(1year old) with the '94 slave and get an adaptor to make the line work? i seem to remember AA having one...but their site is so lame with no descriptions and details.

Also got a new pilot bearing for the '88, which should fit the '88 flywheel and the '91 input on the tranny.

Thanks

ok, im stupid....purchased a slave for a '94 cherokee...then realized that my BH is from a '94 YJ....does this make me have to use the one piece unit? Napa doesn't list a slave for that vehicle/./ GRRRRRRR

jjvande said:
Update:

Transfercase: I tore it down...installed 23spl input gears..all new pads...and remembered to put the magnet in this time.

Tranny: The '91 tranny is all clean, bolted up to the '94 BH and ready to go.

Now i have some time with this swap because i decided to plate the frame and install full length MJ springs...so i get to make all new mounts for those also. Figure it will be easier while everything is out of the way.

This brings me to the hydraulics. I've got a used one piece unit from the dealer...but i hate to have to dig into the firewall and mess with anything under there. I hate that area on the jeep...so many wires that are old and ready to snap. I also just purchased a napa clutch kit and external slave. This slave has a bleeder, and a threaded fitting for hydro hose.

Does anyone know if I can simply use my '88 master(1year old) with the '94 slave and get an adaptor to make the line work? i seem to remember AA having one...but their site is so lame with no descriptions and details.

Also got a new pilot bearing for the '88, which should fit the '88 flywheel and the '91 input on the tranny.

Thanks

yea that area is a bitch to work in...it will make you feel like a contortionist.A three inch extension and a flex joint and about 10 minuets should have that master out of there and the one piece unit bolted into it's spot but do what's best for you.If you take the time to remove your old master and install the sealed pre bled unit you wont have to worry about an adapter to fit the line and you won't have to worry about bleeding it once you get it hooked up

Last edited:
OK,

so i have installed the tranny and transfercase. At this point they're only bolted in to the engine and crossmember.

I have a few interference issues that hopefully someone can answer for me.

The crossmember is a Claytons crossmember for a Peugeot, so it isn't simply a straight section of 1.5 X 4" tube. It jogs forward 4" to meet the peugeot mount. So, i was able to weld in a support that places holes for the AX-15 mount where i thought they should be...as if there were a straight section of pipe (how the Clayton X-member comes for the ax-15).

It seems as though with the tranny mount level with the top of the 1.5X4" tubing the tranny is too high. I forgot to take some measurements to get it into its original position.

Here is a picture that shows how the Ax-15 shift tower sits in the opening of the tranny tunnel. http://in.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jjvanden/detail?.dir=4280&.dnm=b676.jpg&.src=ph

The top of the shifter housing is protruding up into the cabin about 1" above the sheet metal....is this up too high? You can also see the vent hitting the sheet metal....another thing that makes me think it's up to high.

right now the valve cover is tilted 4* down on the rear...wish i would have taken this measurement before the swap.

Any thoughts? i can get a pic of the crossmember mount if needed.

THanks

Back