• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating, fan clutch?

Where's the temp switch and what does it do?

When I get ready to do the therm/w pump, I was going to go w/ an aftermarket set ... the high-flow kind.

bigalpha said:
Where's the temp switch and what does it do?

When I get ready to do the therm/w pump, I was going to go w/ an aftermarket set ... the high-flow kind.

I believe on years 91+ it is on the T-stat housing and it sends the temp reading to your gauge on the dash as well as activate the electric fan.

Hallo.There are 2 CTS one on the T stat housing for the ECU ( Efan) and the other one is on the rear of the cilinderhead at the driver's side for the cabin gauge or stupid light
But can someone explain to me what freely or free spinning means?
I think my fanclutch is a little bit broken. It spins only 90' by hand when hot.

Last edited:
as the temps increase, the resistance to turning the fan should also increase.
imagine trying to stir a pot of water vs. trying to stir a pot of pea soup. When it's hot, there should be consistant, but higher effort required. If yours turns free for 90* and gets tougher at that point, it has failed.

Well, the E fan comes on right around 210*. So, I suppose the CTS in the therm. housing is working fine.

In regards to the clutch fan - I could spin mine around by hand (when the engine was hot) in either direction. There was some resistance, but not enough to make it difficult.

another thing that I've read says that if you run the engine and then turn it off, the clutch fan shouldn't spin more than once or twice. My old one kept spinning and spinning.

Do you find that after you run the Jeep, the hood is blazing hot? Mine was. I had to wear gloves just to pull the latch to open it. Now, it's nice and cool.

looks like mine is joining the club.

hood scalding hot, squeeking near the compressor, i noticed metal shavings on the engine carpet think near the radiator, and no resistance at all when the fan gets spun.

also recently had overheating problems. ecomike once said it's like the fan clutch and i was hoping i had been able to get by without replacing it, looks like he was right.

looks like i get to learn how to replace that one.

mrpeepers said:
looks like mine is joining the club.

hood scalding hot, squeeking near the compressor, i noticed metal shavings on the engine carpet think near the radiator, and no resistance at all when the fan gets spun.

also recently had overheating problems. ecomike once said it's like the fan clutch and i was hoping i had been able to get by without replacing it, looks like he was right.

looks like i get to learn how to replace that one.

It's not "hard" but as mentioned, getting your hands/wrench between the fan blades to unbolt it is a major PITA. I found that getting the wrench on the bolt at just the right angle to let me squeeze the fan blade and wrench together for leverage helped break the bolts free rather easily with no busted knuckles. Good luck!

I just mention that, because I read the write-up on 4x4expedition and it says it needs a fan clutch; of course, it's not specifically for a an XJ.

mrpeepers said:
this mean the serpentine belt gets to come off?

To check the water pump, I'd imagine so.

Fan clutch (for me), the belt did NOT have to come off. I shoulda taken pics and did a write-up. boo.

now i'm starting to think i'm looking at a water pump problem. the squeek is a chirping sound. Another thread talked about the water pump being the issue when you hear chirping.

The Fan spins with some slight resistance when it's been sitting all day. How much resistance should I get when it's parked? Any try looking at "this" first ideas before I start casually replacing parts?

BTW mines a 90 XJ 4.0 closed system.

Good news is theres a nice write up for it.
http://www.jeepin.com/features/waterpump/

fan clutch write up would be nice if anyones seen one.

Ugh. edit.

Looks like the shavings are coming from idler pulley between a/c compressor and water pump. sounds like an easy fix.

Last edited:
mrpeepers said:
now i'm starting to think i'm looking at a water pump problem. the squeek is a chirping sound. Another thread talked about the water pump being the issue when you hear chirping.

The Fan spins with some slight resistance when it's been sitting all day. How much resistance should I get when it's parked? Any try looking at "this" first ideas before I start casually replacing parts?

Ugh. edit.

Looks like the shavings are coming from idler pulley between a/c compressor and water pump. sounds like an easy fix.

The idler pully is $11 and simple.

The fan clutch really defies diagnoses unless it completely free spins when hot. It's not unheard of for it to "act" fine, but still need replacing. I'd say if it is the original part on there now, replacing it would be a good thing to do when you do the idler. You will easily notice the difference of a new fan clutch as soon as you do it, and it's simple and cheap.

Don't forget to check the lower radiator hose, on the highway with the motor at higher RPM's the vacume from the waterpump will collapse weak hoses (thats why the oem has a large spring in it) You definitely want to check that out!!!

RustStang78 said:
Don't forget to check the lower radiator hose, on the highway with the motor at higher RPM's the vacume from the waterpump will collapse weak hoses (thats why the oem has a large spring in it) You definitely want to check that out!!!

Good call. I completely forgot about that. I should check mine. Maybe that's a part of my overheating problem.

Maybe if I get some free time this weekend, I'll take the fan clutch off and put it back on and take pics and do a write-up.

mrpeepers said:

Ugh. edit.

Do you always get the chirping or is it only when A/C is on? If the A/C compressor/clutch is bad it would cause extra resistance, slowing water pump and fan down while making a nice chirping sound. My compressor/clutch is bad and chirps whenever I turn it on, so I leave it off. Temp also tends to climb and the aux fan doesn't come on like it should.

Darky said:
Do you always get the chirping or is it only when A/C is on? If the A/C compressor/clutch is bad it would cause extra resistance, slowing water pump and fan down while making a nice chirping sound. My compressor/clutch is bad and chirps whenever I turn it on, so I leave it off. Temp also tends to climb and the aux fan doesn't come on like it should.
I think it's always on. I'll look tonight. I saw the bearings were shredded inside the idler pulley. I suspect thats the problem. It could be a result of something else but the A/C system is only 10k miles in. So, I don't know.

I'll edit this as I find out.

definately the idler pulley. can smell what the idler is cooking!

Last edited:
replaced idler pulley bearings, and the chirp is gone car is happy. My temp sits at 210 and my hood is friggin cookin! Anyone know of common issues to cause scalding hot hoods? I am in phoenix, however the hood is really cooking even at nighttime when its 95 degrees out. Fan clutch not doing its job maybe?

Back