• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One Car Too Far

I wonder if the Enviro groups have a few threads about that show.

"Oh, they ran over a bush!"

"Look, they are driving down a river! SUE SUE SUE!!!"

They drove through the stream when they had plenty if bank to drive along. I am convinced this show is preplanned and more fake than a $3 bill

I remember the first time I noticed production values and logistics in a "reality" style show.
It was an episode of "the Crocodile hunter". Good 'ole Steve and the missus were out on some island in a wildlife preserve with the pickup, working through some sand dunes. He was making a lot of noise about how hard it was to get through. I'm watching and this voice in my head says,"There were 3 camera angles on that one pass. There are either 3 full camera crews spotting him, or they did this incredibly hard run two or three different times."
Ever since, it gets harder and harder for me to NOT see it.

I was actually planning on watching the 3rd episode last night, but got distracted by some incredibly dull item on the internet and wasted that time web-surfing.

watching the latest episode, they're talking about how big the boulders are, and they cut to a picture of the suspension bouncing around, the sway bar is still connected.

Well, no real problem with that. I don't disconnect the anti-sway bar when I go wheeling. Makes a difference in articulation, but you can get through most situations without doing it.
They're driving a YJ, right? A bigger difference on the YJ is disconnection or removal of the factory track bars. (Why they even put them on a leaf-sprung vehicle is beyond me.)

It's a TJ and listening to it I swore it had a diesel till they had to mend the spark plug wire. I'm still scratching my head over that one. It was unnessissary but I have to say ingenuous. I would never have thought a stick would work like that.

I doubt he was getting a good spark, if any.

piece of wire: 2k ohms
P9032840.jpg

piece of green stick similar to the one they used: 199k ohms
P9032842.jpg

piece of stick coupled with wires: 695k ohms
P9032841.jpg

Although the stick did seem to have some capacitance, so with an impulse it might be lower impedance.

Last edited:
It's a TJ and listening to it I swore it had a diesel till they had to mend the spark plug wire. I'm still scratching my head over that one. It was unnessissary but I have to say ingenuous. I would never have thought a stick would work like that.

I thought the exact same thing. Could have sworn it had a diesel in it lol. Maybe just a poor attempt at adding "engine noise" by the producers?

What show was the ice cave on?

The second episode. Wu decided that he would just sleep in the drivers seat on the glacier when the other guy made a snow cave. Needless to say, Wu got cold and asked if he could snuggle.

Im not proud of it, but yeah i watch it. And then i kick myself for watching it. I hate how big of deal they turn little things into. Like the 3rd one when they find the jeep chained to a ledge. "Omg how are we gonna get it down?" Well if i was truly worried about biffing it backing down.. i would hook my winch to the chain that was already there and power out. Id of used the winch in the "repel the jeep and run out of rope" scenario too. Or just found a better way. I DO love the concept of the show though, just driving throuh the boonies. Me in my XJ or yota and a friend with a smart phone could make a better show if not for the EPA.

Back