• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off topic - Chevy SAS steering question

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Yea, I know. Not Jeep related. I'm doing all the design and fab work for a buddies K1500 SAS, and just ran into an issue I'm hoping someone has an answer for. I'd post in the fab thread, but it's only open to members :(.

So we went with a drivers drop HPD44 1 tonne 8 bolt from a 79 ford F250. Leaf sprung on 54" leafs (Buddy was supposed to grab 52" but somehow ended up with these... I figure it just means more articulation and smoother ride so I made it work).
Axle has high steer arms and we set it up for crossover.

Swapped the stock drop pitman for a flat 6.5" long pitman from a late 90's Econoline E250 as we needed a little more throw, and the drop pitman was too low and would smash into the pumpkin.

That said, everything is bolted up now, we've got about 9" of lift which is fairly mild, but having a real weird issue with the steering.
The draglink angle is only around 15 -18 degrees, but when we steer right, the whole right side of the truck lifts up at least 2-3 inches. Also, if the passenger side is on the high end of a slope (even by about an inch) the passenger side lifts about another inch or two above the drivers side.

I suspect that part (or maybe entirely) the problem is that we haven't done a track bar yet. If we're on a slope (passenger side up), the weight of the truck is going to try to slide down hill, but the drag link will try to keep it centered, thus the lift on the passenger side. This would also account for steering right causing more lift.
Does this sound about right? Just drop in a track bar now and everything should stay relatively level?
I'm just wondering, if this is the case, how the hell do so many guys say the track bar is optional? There's no way I'd drive this thing as it sits right now. it'd want to roll over every time you got the right side of the vehicle up and tried to turn right.

That's the thing. Lots of guys say you'll need the track bar, lots say you don't. I suspect that the guys with the shorter leafs don't need the track bar as there's less axle sway. We however, have 54 or 56" leafs and there's a tonne of sway, plus the draglink pushes the passenger side up in the air.

I may just be brain farting here, but I can't think of any other reason for the draglink to lift the truck.

That's always been my thinking. We raised the front mount as we had to get the caster back a few degrees, and it's helped but it's definitely not enough.
So the question is, will a track bar really do anything to prevent drag link lift of the passenger side?

Back