• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 converting to NP242

questions about this swap

I have a 95 xj country 4.0 aw4 np231.... NP231 is wasted and the AW4 is tired
I just salvaged an aw4 w/np242 from a 95 XJ (also grabbed the front DS and all wires and cables even got the TCU) all for $175! I should be fine with the compatability of everthing since all is from the same model and year.

Will the rear DS from the 231 work with the 242?
are all the wires plug and play?
do I have to swap the shift gate and shifter bezel?
how about the linkage. I grabbed the t case linkage plate on the side. should I have grabbed the links as well?
If you can think of anything else I need let me know

BTW I am doing the tranny and tcase swap all as one unit

TIA,
Eric

The rear driveline should be the same, the wires are not plug and play, you need to swap the shift gate, use the shifter plate that came with the np242, the rest of the linkage will work fine. As for as the wireing goes, my experince is on a 98 and I had to track down the wire to make the light work. If you are not concerned about the full time light then just cut and match the wires back together.

Hayden

Teralow does a 4:1 conversion on the np242. I wouldn't think they would put their name on a weak product. Anyone have this option?

95XJ Country said:
not trying to be a PIA but what is involved in getting the shiftgate out. I will head back to the junkyard tommorrow to get it.

thanks for the quick reply

Remove shift handle. The handle won'tlet the gate out in the XJs I know. To remove the handle, remove the gate attach bolts, lift the gate up on the shift handle, remove a little spring clip at the very end of the handle, disengage the spring that puts tension on the handle, slide the handle out of the cross shaft, remove gate, position new gate around handle, install handle in cross shaft, install spring clip, engage tension spring, install gate.
Depending on the year you may have to remove the handle to replace the bezel also. If both need replacement plan accordingly.
Sorry it is late, I missed the post.

anderld47 said:
Teralow does a 4:1 conversion on the np242. I wouldn't think they would put their name on a weak product. Anyone have this option?

Show me where you see that they do a low range kit for the 242.

Hayden

Hayden said:
Show me where you see that they do a low range kit for the 242.

Hayden
I couldn't find anything about it on the internet which surprised me. Call your local shop that does lifts, and other mods and they usually have a line to Teralow. I'm having it done by Extreme Performance, 707-578-1115 (formerly Papola Performance) in Santa Rosa, CA. The case is shipped to Teralow, they do the machine work to the housing then ship it back to the shop for assembly. Can also get a part time two wheel low and a yoke to eleminate the rear splined output shaft. I think I've even seen a post on this forum from someone with the np242 with a teralow. The whole thing is pricey, and for a couple bills more you can get an Atlas, but this way you can keep the full time four wheel drive.... and I guess the 242 is a pretty strong tcase.

It's been years since I've seen the 242 Tera-low offered for sale. I'm pretty sure it's long out of production.

JEEPZZ said:
It's been years since I've seen the 242 Tera-low offered for sale. I'm pretty sure it's long out of production.

Hope you're wrong, took the tcase to Extreme Performance to be sent in today. Guess I'll know by tomorrow.

Larry

anderld47 said:
Hope you're wrong, took the tcase to Extreme Performance to be sent in today. Guess I'll know by tomorrow.

Larry
New old stock (NOS) perhaps???
Tera is right down the street from where I work, I'll have to get in touch with them on updated info about it.

edit>>> Nevermind. Here's info right from their website:

"The Tera Low231 conversion kit is the solution for providing Wranglers, Cherokees, and Comanches with low crawl ratios. This kit provides rock-crawling performance without affecting high range gears for daily drivers, or the trip to and from the back country. It provides a true 4.0:1 reduction through a 5 gear HD planetary system. Every part in this kit is new, with no core charges. Shift linkage and driveshaft length changes are not necessary. The Tera Low231's high input torque rating will handle extreme torque applications. Each Low231 is covered with our exclusive two-year warranty. The Tera Low231 is compatible with the 2WD Low-Range Shift kit (Part #2LOW231), the TeraLow Extreme Short Shaft kit (Part #231ESS), and the Short Shaft kit (Part #231SS). Note: Some Cherokees require one-quarter inch to be removed from the end of the input shaft in order to function properly. Please specify when ordering. 241/242 t-cases: Call us for details on using our low-range gearing in 241 and 242 transfer cases. Note: Because these low-range gear sets increase torque by up to 50 percent, some large or high-performance engines may contribute to premature drive train failure."

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
New old stock (NOS) perhaps???
Tera is right down the street from where I work, I'll have to get in touch with them on updated info about it.

edit>>> Nevermind. Here's info right from their website:

Note: Because these low-range gear sets increase torque by up to 50 percent, some large or high-performance engines may contribute to premature drive train failure.[/b]"

Thanks Todd. I'll sleep better tonight. When I took in the tcase, Rob at Extreme couldn't find any info in their brochure and the old nagging doubt started gnawing. When I read your earlier post the gnawing turned to major predator chomping at my ahole.

As for the HP engines, my leasurely trips through the Dusy (prefer the 4 day drive) shouldn't affect things.

Does this mean Hayden will be yanking a newly installed 242?

Larry

JEEPZZ said:

Nevermind. Here's info right from their website:[/b]"

Todd, where did you find their site? All I come up with are distributors.

Thanks

anderld47 said:
Can also get a part time two wheel low and a yoke to eleminate the rear splined output shaft.

Well Hayden, they do the 4 to 1 for the 242 but not the 2 low, or HD sye. Said the rear output shaft is already strong and short enough. And not enough 242's coming in to warrant the cost of developing a 2 low.

Larry

Ok i thought i was clear about the np 242 vs np231. But after watching the video on the jeep website im confused. I thought the 242 is more for the hardcore offroader since it has the part time mode. But the jeep liberty video makes it seem like part time is ok to use on dry pavement?? Maybe im missing something. Ive got a 231 in my 96 cherokee and im wanting to find out if I should swap a 242 in or not. Ive searched and read through alot of threads but it seems im getting more confused.

Keep the 231 unless you have the NEED for the full time mode.
It snows like a mutha in the winter where I'm at and my Jeep sees a lot of highway miles as a daily driver. All wheel drive is a must for my situation.
Part time is for off road only. Both t-cases have part time, the 242 also has full time.
The 231 is the stronger case if only marginally but it's supported by a larger aftermarket.

>>>so what's the update on the Tera 4to1?

JEEPZZ said:
Both t-cases have part time, the 242 also has full time.
The 231 is the stronger case if only marginally but it's supported by a larger aftermarket.

>>>so what's the update on the Tera 4to1?

Won't get the Tera case back for another week and will hit the desert mid April. I have a fishing trip along the Dusy and Swamp Lakes routes in August which will be the real test. I'll keep you posted.

Back