• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 converting to NP242

I also have one ready to go in, and am glad to hear how simple it sounds. Mine already has an SYE, but I am afraid I might have to shorten the driveshaft. The Jeep I got this from had a lift, and I can't afford one just yet. This really sucks because while it is pretty easy to shorten a driveshaft, going back would definitely take more $$. I am only looking to get around 3" of lift though, so the shortened shaft might still be long enough. I am only worried about it being too long at stock height and messing up the tcase. Can anyone tell me about how much free travel the slip-joint have to compensate for uptravel?

i'll trade you my 242 for your 231.
icon10.gif

PapaPump said:
if you didn't live in FL i would do that...but shipping is a pain in the ass...

you don't want mine anyways. front output bearing is thrashed somehow and it makes this annoying noise. i really don't have the time or the money to pull the tcase and rebuild it, so i'm sort of just living with it. shifts fine and drives fine just makes that noise. i'm going to end up getting a 231 from a junkyard so i can get a full sye for it and regain some ground clearance being that the 242 hangs like 2" lower than the 231. aftermarket for the 242 is horrible.

For anyone that was interested in the wiring issues on the 97+, I have some answers. This is all for 97+.......The NP242 has a 3 pin sensor and the NP231 has a 2 pin sensor. On the 231 there is a solid black wire which is the ground and there is a back wire with a red tracer, that is the wire that lights the part time light. The 242 sensor has the same 2 wires and then a black wire with a white tracer, that wire lights the full time light. Now, with a factory 231 the back wire with white tracer is in the main harness and does connect to the back of the instrument cluster. The wire ends at a plug located at the back of the engine compartment on the passanger side. There are 3 plugs all pretty close to each other, If you look at them you will see the widest plug has a black wire with white tracer on one side and not the other. So, to make the light work on the dash after adding the new 242 case I just ran a wire from the sensor and tapped it into the black wire with white tracer in that plug.

Hayden

Hayden said:
For anyone that was interested in the wiring issues on the 97+, I have some answers. This is all for 97+.......The NP242 has a 3 pin sensor and the NP231 has a 2 pin sensor. On the 231 there is a solid black wire which is the ground and there is a back wire with a red tracer, that is the wire that lights the part time light. The 242 sensor has the same 2 wires and then a black wire with a white tracer, that wire lights the full time light. Now, with a factory 231 the back wire with white tracer is in the main harness and does connect to the back of the instrument cluster. The wire ends at a plug located at the back of the engine compartment on the passanger side. There are 3 plugs all pretty close to each other, If you look at them you will see the widest plug has a black wire with white tracer on one side and not the other. So, to make the light work on the dash after adding the new 242 case I just ran a wire from the sensor and tapped it into the black wire with white tracer in that plug.

Hayden

It may not be that simple. The Jeep wiring diagrams are quite useless but you can get the idea that there is more to it.
For example, out of the 97 XJ manual

"8W-31-5

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4WD) SWITCH
When the 4WD switch CLOSES, circuit Z1 provides
ground for the 4WD indicator lamp in the
instrument cluster. Circuit F87 connects to the
instrument cluster and supplies battery voltage to
the 4WD indicator lamp. Circuit G107 connects the
indicator lamp to the 4WD switch.
On vehicles equipped with the 4.0L engine and an
automatic transmission, circuit G107 connects to the
solenoid assembly in the transmission. Circuit G106
from the solenoid assembly provides ground during
4WD Full Time operation."

My '96 wiring clearly shows a connection between the tranny valve body
and the indication lights

The wiring manual of a '87 I used to have, shows a little box labeled transmission between the TC switch and lights.
Basically, I think that connecting a wire from the TC to the lights will bypass the tranny and I don't think it is supposed to do that.
All the Jeep wiring diagrams I looked at are useless due to not enough detail.
I expect a Mitchel manual and I hope it will be better.
Just in case it would be nice if people with aftermarket manuals look in to it and share what they find.

Man, now I'm wanting the NP242! Blasted internet forums! :D

I regularly put mine (NP231) in 4wd when it's raining so I'm not so tail happy, and I've *never* felt any binding in the steering wheel. Just how much damage am I doing by doing that? FYI, I don't do it often, but I do when it rains, 'cause it's scary when I don't! :eek:

falcon556 said:
It may not be that simple. The Jeep wiring diagrams are quite useless but you can get the idea that there is more to it.
For example, out of the 97 XJ manual

"8W-31-5

FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4WD) SWITCH
When the 4WD switch CLOSES, circuit Z1 provides
ground for the 4WD indicator lamp in the
instrument cluster. Circuit F87 connects to the
instrument cluster and supplies battery voltage to
the 4WD indicator lamp. Circuit G107 connects the
indicator lamp to the 4WD switch.
On vehicles equipped with the 4.0L engine and an
automatic transmission, circuit G107 connects to the
solenoid assembly in the transmission. Circuit G106
from the solenoid assembly provides ground during
4WD Full Time operation."

My '96 wiring clearly shows a connection between the tranny valve body
and the indication lights

The wiring manual of a '87 I used to have, shows a little box labeled transmission between the TC switch and lights.
Basically, I think that connecting a wire from the TC to the lights will bypass the tranny and I don't think it is supposed to do that.
All the Jeep wiring diagrams I looked at are useless due to not enough detail.
I expect a Mitchel manual and I hope it will be better.
Just in case it would be nice if people with aftermarket manuals look in to it and share what they find.
Well, I got the Mitchell manual and for the '96 XJ it shows the TC wires going to the valve body first and then to the instrument panel..
Can somebody look at a Powertrain diagnostic manual to see if there is more information?
With so many people interested in this conversion, can we work together to figure the wiring part out?

JEEPZZ said:
The dealerships sells a wiring jumper that allows proper operation of the full time dash light after the 231 to 242 conversion (97+ XJ's). The part number is 56041612AA available from the dealer for $15.

Previous info listed on page 3 of this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29231&page=3

Thanks a lot, I don't know if it can be used for a '96 conversion but I am sure I'll use it when I do my '99.
I think I'll call the dealer and ask him if there is such a thing for the '96.
Thanks again.

I now have everything I need for the conversion, waiting for the right opportunity to do it.
In the last few days I've been driving the wifes WJ with select trac.
In my WJ the green 4WD light never comes on. I don't know if it is supposed to or not. One thing I do know is that I don't miss it. Whether in 2WD or FT4WD, no warning is needed and the information is quite useless and even annoying at night. I decided that I don't wan't the green light.
I will splice the Bk and Bk/Rd wires to the new TC and cap the rest.
Light operation should be as it was for 2WD and 4WD Lock, no lights for FT.

Sounds good. I still have everything to swap mine just havent done it. It sure would have been nice to have the other day in all the ice we had. Its hard to find the time and drive to work on my own when I work on everyone elses for a living. I'll get it done some day.

Hayden

Hayden said:
Sounds good. I still have everything to swap mine just havent done it. It sure would have been nice to have the other day in all the ice we had. Its hard to find the time and drive to work on my own when I work on everyone elses for a living. I'll get it done some day.

Hayden

We had a couple of inches snow that changed into patches of ice two days later.
Driving the wifes WJ select trac convinced me that FT is the way to go.
I'll do it no later than Christmas.

I'm looking at having to change out my tc, so an option is to go to a 242, but have a been told it also involves having to change out the drive shaft, and then there's the issue of the disconnect on the front axle ['90 Pioneer auto]

What is actually needed to be done to accomplish this?

cykaaro said:
I'm looking at having to change out my tc, so an option is to go to a 242, but have a been told it also involves having to change out the drive shaft, and then there's the issue of the disconnect on the front axle ['90 Pioneer auto]

What is actually needed to be done to accomplish this?

I converted mine, a 96, the TC came from a 96 ZJ and the only thing I had to replace was the mounting studs which is easy. Although the studs seem to have the same part number they were not the same.
With that exception, everything else went in great. I have been using it in FT quite a bit.
One other item, I also used the original speedo which had the gear to match my XJ.

This is a newbie question, I'm sure, but can someone explain the FT/PT deal on the 242? I am looking at an 89 XJ Limited that has the Selec-Trac. All the 4WDs that I've ever been in were just 2wd, 4Hi, N & 4Lo.

jpony645 said:
This is a newbie question, I'm sure, but can someone explain the FT/PT deal on the 242?

It's essentially an AWD mode, designed for use on pavement unlike 4PT.

You may want to use the search feature to find more information on this - it's been covered many, many times.

jpony645 said:
I did but got 300+ pages returned on the 242. I'll narrow down and see what I can find.
Your owners manual has a lot of good info on the difference between the two.

jpony645 said:
This is a newbie question, I'm sure, but can someone explain the FT/PT deal on the 242? I am looking at an 89 XJ Limited that has the Selec-Trac. All the 4WDs that I've ever been in were just 2wd, 4Hi, N & 4Lo.

Selec-Trac means 242, with both FT and PT.

Back