• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 converting to NP242

anderld47 said:
Won't get the Tera case back for another week and will hit the desert mid April. I have a fishing trip along the Dusy and Swamp Lakes routes in August which will be the real test. I'll keep you posted.

Hey Hayden! Got the 4 to 1 back along with front and rear Wood's DS and the SYE for the rear shaft (they cut a D300 output shaft, respline it and attach a yolk). Spent 5 days in Anza Borrego Desert. Everything works great! Terra said there would be some whine in low range (there is), but it's nice not using the brakes going down Pinyon Mountain Dropoff. Let you know how it works on the Dusy this summer. No driveline vibes at any speed (did have them with my old RE DS and their hack n tap SYE).

I am about to swap my tranny in my 88, should I keep the 231 transfer thats in my rig or the 242 thats connected to the tranny already. If I do swap to the 231 will it bolt up to my aw4 without trouble.
Really twisted

Really Twisted said:
I am about to swap my tranny in my 88, should I keep the 231 transfer thats in my rig or the 242 thats connected to the tranny already. If I do swap to the 231 will it bolt up to my aw4 without trouble.
Really twisted
Check the post on page one of this discussion by XgeekstarX. He quotes an article from 4wheeloffroad.com:

anderld47 said:
Hey Hayden! Got the 4 to 1 back along with front and rear Wood's DS and the SYE for the rear shaft (they cut a D300 output shaft, respline it and attach a yolk). Spent 5 days in Anza Borrego Desert. Everything works great! Terra said there would be some whine in low range (there is), but it's nice not using the brakes going down Pinyon Mountain Dropoff. Let you know how it works on the Dusy this summer. No driveline vibes at any speed (did have them with my old RE DS and their hack n tap SYE).

Thats awsome, glad to hear it all came together. What did Tera charge for all the work?

Hayden

I just replaced my AW4 and swapped to a NP242. It was not hard just time consuming and it would have been nice to have had somebody to help me. It really isn't a one man job under a set of ramps!!!

FWI my AW4 had bad soleniods and the 231 had 3 nice holes in it from a wasted chain. The transmision shop wanted $3800 to repair both! I got the tranny, transfer case, shiftgate, and bezel for $135 at the pick-n-pull yard. Fugg you trans shop.

I don't know why everyone is saying not to use PT when it's snowing out. When there gets to be anymore then like 4 inches on the ground (enough to cause you to break the rear end loose 80% of the time), then throw the 231 into 4HI. I have been doing this in my XJ and my old dodge ram without a problem. Granted, the FT option is nice when it's raining or lightly flurrying outside (i just stick with 2wd), I don't think that PT is made specifically for offroading.

well guys i just pretty much finished this swap, I put in a 242 in place of a 231 no problems with the 231, just wanted to have the 4wd full time option. It was really easy, just woulda been easier with a half moon wrench :( any way does anyone know what can be done to get the 4wd lights to come on?

too bad u r in florida id give u mine.

So i ddid more and more reading and i am even more confused, the 242 that ijust put in is from a 91 and it only has a 2 pin connector on it not 3 like everyone eolse has said. i dont get it, anyway today when i get hojme from work and finish putting it all together i am just going to extend the wires from my original plug and plug it right in and hope it works .

ricot83 said:
So i did more and more reading and i am even more confused, the 242 that ijust put in is from a 91 and it only has a 2 pin connector on it not 3 like everyone eolse has said. i dont get it, anyway today when i get hojme from work and finish putting it all together i am just going to extend the wires from my original plug and plug it right in and hope it works .

I don't know the wiring of every TC but I'll tell you what I remember.
A 242 that has two wires uses one wire for the amber, one for the green and the TC as the ground.
A 231 with two wires uses one wire for the amber and the other for ground.
Later model 242s have a more complex connector with more wires and they don't depend on the TC for ground purposes.
I converted 2 XJs and in both cases, I only connected the amber lite for PT operation.

i believe i will do what is stated above just the one wire for the amber light. Thank you

Ok so I finished a couple hours ago the only thing that is a PITA well in my case anyway, was the linkage, it is still not perfect, but its ok. My XJ had the shift gate for the np242 in it i think it is the one with a tiny notch in it correct? as opposed to the shiftgate with the just an L shaped gate. anyway i used the two wire plug and lengthened the wires from the np231 connector and plugged it right in, I now have 4wd part time light, but no light for full time which I dont really give 2 sh*ts about because the lever is obviously in the full time position.

any questions feel free to ask, o ya and I now hae a 231 sitting around ;) I think I would be willing to trade it for a 96 242

ricot83 said:
Ok so I finished a couple hours ago the only thing that is a PITA well in my case anyway, was the linkage, it is still not perfect, but its ok. My XJ had the shift gate for the np242 in it i think it is the one with a tiny notch in it correct? as opposed to the shiftgate with the just an L shaped gate. anyway i used the two wire plug and lengthened the wires from the np231 connector and plugged it right in, I now have 4wd part time light, but no light for full time which I dont really give 2 sh*ts about because the lever is obviously in the full time position.

You have a 231 gate. The way I rigged it is as follows:
While jacked, I manually put the TC in 4L with the linkage loose.
I had somebody grab the lever and move it to 4L and hold it 1/8" away from contacting the aft end of the gate. At this point I tightegned the bolt securing the adjustment. I then checked to make sure that all the settings worked. In 2H the lever should be all the way forward but not touching.
By allowing cushion on both ends you avoid running out of travel due to wear or flexing of the parts. That's the way I did it, I keep forgetting to check the manual for the official version.

ricot83 said:

any questions feel free to ask, o ya and I now hae a 231 sitting around ;) I think I would be willing to trade it for a 96 242

Hold your horses buddy!!!
What do you need a 96 242 for? Are you planning to convert a 96?
What makes you think that you need one from a 96? I bet you asked a junk yard and they told you that only a 242 from a 96 will fit a 96?

actually i can do an re hack n tap 1807 on a 96 but not on the 91 case i currently have. i can however do the more expensive hack and tap though :(

falcon556 said:
I bet you asked a junk yard and they told you that only a 242 from a 96 will fit a 96?

In case there is somebody out there thinking of converting a 96 from a 231 to a 242.
You can't go by what junk yards show in their books which is that only a 242 from a 96XJ will fit a 96 XJ. This is correct if what you are doing is replacing one 242 that went bad with another. The reason for that is that the 96 242 has a 2 pin connector. The TC itself is identical to 97+ except for the switch which is unique to the 96. For somebody that is converting it is not an issue, you will have to splice wires no matter what. Just make sure that the new TC comes with the connector and you can use 96-01 XJ and 96-98 ZJ which is important because there were more ZJs with 242s than XJs.
Caution, if you use a ZJ TC check the studs they might be of different length.
If that is the case, swap studs.

Old yes but still relevant information as it finally answered every question I had which was on the wiring conversion necessary. Thanks NAXJA! All the other sites couldn't get past the controversy and talk about making the actual change... wait for it... nope, not until here.

While there was some of that on here, why are 231 proponents so adamant about not wanting FT 4WD to the extent about thinking it is bad to have it? Doesn't the 242 still have PT 4WD which is EXACTLY the same as the 231 4HI? Yes, mabe some minor strength issues are debat-alble but give it a rest!

No I am not trying to have the badest ass 4 wheel monster but one that is MORE versatile and usable when I am not out in the hills but does have PT 4WD just like the 231 when I am. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Of course I often say that with my opinion and $2 you can get a good cup of coffee ;)

Thanks again NAXJA I just might pony up here as I seem to find more prevalent info here than the other guys.

Thanks again NAXJA I just might pony up here as I seem to find more prevalent info here than the other guys.

this website has more XJ specific knowledge than the rest of the internet combined.

It's been here gathering tech for the last 12 years.

Back