• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Love for NP242

93XJLI said:
Guess the OP was a bit wrong, everybody loves the 242.

I don't have an SYE yet (or a tcase drop for that matter:shhh: ). Once I go bigger than 3" I'll probably overhaul the case since it has 155k on it, and bring it to a local machine shop to get hacked n tapped.

I like the way GoJeep made up his SYE. It has more spline engagement and a stock XJ shaft made longer will bolt right up, no need to make it fit a flange style yoke. I'm probably going to use a 242 HD so I might need a different yoke.

I was out and about yesterday with my 231. Some cities salt, some don't.

Slightly wet roads = no problem. Didn't have any severe binding with the 231 on those roads.

Blaine B. said:
I was out and about yesterday with my 231. Some cities salt, some don't.

Slightly wet roads = no problem. Didn't have any severe binding with the 231 on those roads.

The 242 is great in the rain, corners better on dry pavement and when the road is dry but there are 1'-2' snow drifts every mile or two you don't have to worry about anything. For the best handling dry or wet it wins in my book.

Both my XJ's have the 242, My ex-durango had one as did my former ZJ. And I have a spare. Count each as a vote for the 242. I have yet to see the advantage of the 231 for my needs.

stoneattic said:
For sure (as I look out the window watching the snow).

i'm sad now that i spent all that money on a new 231HD with SYE ($600) i fugured with the 4.56 gears i wouldn't need the FT on the road in my DD. I've driven the PT on snow covered paved roads up to 30 mph an didn't have any steering pull....should i have gotton the 242 out of a durango? its not too late........

Cipey

93XJLI said:
Guess the OP was a bit wrong, everybody loves the 242.

That's not what I was talking about at all. I love the 242 and I know everybody does. My question is why are there so man vendors and companies that make SYE kits for the 231 but not the 242.

I've got a 231 with a HD SYE, but wolud rather have the 242. I'm at 5" and the 242 SYE has been my stopping point. I guess if I can do without the rig for a week or so I need to switch out. I'll trade someone (especialy one of you withthe 242 SYE allready installed!!!)?

Angus

Cipey said:
i'm sad now that i spent all that money on a new 231HD with SYE ($600) i fugured with the 4.56 gears i wouldn't need the FT on the road in my DD. I've driven the PT on snow covered paved roads up to 30 mph an didn't have any steering pull....should i have gotton the 242 out of a durango? its not too late........

Cipey
Don't worry. You will easily be able to sell the 231HD to some eager Wrangler owner. For some reason they just don't understand why anyone would want a 242.

Vince said:
Don't worry. You will easily be able to sell the 231HD to some eager Wrangler owner. For some reason they just don't understand why anyone would want a 242.

my big question is if you use lockers with a 242...doesn't that defeat the purpose of independantly turning hubs?.....with everything locked up, doesn't it it act like a 231?

Thanks

Cipey

The difference between the 231 and 242 is that in F.T. mode, the 242 allows a different torque split from front to rear (not side to side). In part-time mode (equiv. to 231's 4 Hi) the torque split front to rear is 50-50, as is the 242's part-time mode.

In fulltime mode the 242 has a center differential allowing the front axle to rotate at different speed to the rear axle when cornering.

Swapped my 242 for a 231......Couldn't give it away!....Tripped over it to many times on the garage floor.......In the dumpster it went.........Until now I didn't even think about it.........Miss it?.....Should I?

Ron

I like the full-time option in my 242. Since the snow flew I have just left it in full-time for highway and city driving. Works great, don't have to think about it and full traction in the snow/ice/slop. At first I thought I'd never use it, but it's definately great for the winter. Slight drop in gas mileage, though.

clunk said:
I like the full-time option in my 242. Since the snow flew I have just left it in full-time for highway and city driving. Works great, don't have to think about it and full traction in the snow/ice/slop. At first I thought I'd never use it, but it's definately great for the winter. Slight drop in gas mileage, though.

I used to have an '87 with a 242, sold it and bought a 96 with a 231, the wife hated it, refused to drive it, bought her a WJ with a 242, and she is happy, swapped the 231 for a 242 and love it. Later I bought a 99 with a 231 for my son, didn't take very long and had to swap it for a 242.
All my Cherokees now have 242s and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Did anybody notice that the more expensive models usually get the 242?
Quite frankly Chrysler pulled a fast one, they dumped a whole bunch of Jeeps that are semi 4x4 in the market
and forced people to pay more for real 4X4.
Makes no sense to have a 4x4 that you can only use in 2WD mode in patchy ice or snow. The FT option lets you do what you want any time you want it.

I use mine all the time. It handles way better in turns(dry or wet), I can pull out into busy traffic in the rain with no issues and it rocks for patchy snow.

TNT said:
I use mine all the time. It handles way better in turns(dry or wet), I can pull out into busy traffic in the rain with no issues and it rocks for patchy snow.
Totally agree.

Timber said:
Totally agree.

I think that the 52-48 torque split that you mentioned is what makes the 242
such a pleasure to have. You don't know its there and the traction is tremendous.

Back