• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me XJ, issues

dbltapp

NAXJA Forum User
I did something stupid and bought an XJ, from a hillbily, at night! I have no one to blame but myself, but my god has this thing been hobbled together.

It is a 98 2 door sport, and has a 90% completed 2WD to 4WD conversion. My main question is, and I did search, do I need to change the computer to one out of a 4WD? My check enging light is on and it is throwing a code 89, with no specific description.

I am from New England, all my Jeeps have come with 2 things, 4wd and rust!

Any tips or tricks that pertain to these conversions that can help me as I try and complete someone elses half assed project?

Thanks

no need for a 4wd computer. No clue what that code is since i have a renix but the transfercase is mechanical and engaged as such. computer doesnt care if its in 4wd or not

How are you getting "code 89"? 98 is OBDII, which means you have a port under the driver's side dash to hook a scan tool to and read codes... which should come out in the form of "P0xxx" aka P-code.

Code P0089 (if this is what you're referring to as "code 89" is "Fuel Pressure 1 Control Performance" which makes me think you might have some fuel pump issues. You have the returnless fuel system, which is known for general flakiness.

If it were me, I'd hook a scan tool to it and reset all the codes and drive it and see if the CEL comes back on. Who knows what said hillbilly did to it before you got it, but if it's running good now then it may just have that code stored from a previous issue.

And no, you don't need a specific 4wd computer. The 4wd is all mechanically controlled, with an electrical switch on the t-case to control the 4wd light.

How are you getting "code 89"? 98 is OBDII, which means you have a port under the driver's side dash to hook a scan tool to and read codes... which should come out in the form of "P0xxx" aka P-code.

Code P0089 (if this is what you're referring to as "code 89" is "Fuel Pressure 1 Control Performance" which makes me think you might have some fuel pump issues. You have the returnless fuel system, which is known for general flakiness.

If it were me, I'd hook a scan tool to it and reset all the codes and drive it and see if the CEL comes back on. Who knows what said hillbilly did to it before you got it, but if it's running good now then it may just have that code stored from a previous issue.

And no, you don't need a specific 4wd computer. The 4wd is all mechanically controlled, with an electrical switch on the t-case to control the 4wd light.

That code confused everyone, had a "P" code for miss fires and cleared those, the "89" code was just that, 89 and had no other info, we were both stumped. He was unable to clear that code, so now I am confused. I figured maybe a new computer. I am also getting a fuel smell but can't find a leak, figured baffles or evap?

I am replacing the cracked manifold and will go from there. Thanks for the help.

That code confused everyone, had a "P" code for miss fires and cleared those, the "89" code was just that, 89 and had no other info, we were both stumped. He was unable to clear that code, so now I am confused. I figured maybe a new computer. I am also getting a fuel smell but can't find a leak, figured baffles or evap?

I am replacing the cracked manifold and will go from there. Thanks for the help.

Don't get a new computer, that won't fix the problem. Sounds like you might have a fuel leak somewhere... injector seals? fuel line to fuel rail connector? Could be a blocked evap canister. Check everything over really carefully.

Don't get a new computer, that won't fix the problem. Sounds like you might have a fuel leak somewhere... injector seals? fuel line to fuel rail connector? Could be a blocked evap canister. Check everything over really carefully.

Don't see any fuel on the rail or around the injectors, will have to check the evap.

Thanks

Back