• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New NAXJA sponsor! Boostwerks brings you the first 4.0L turbo manifold!

What you want is a Miller 200dx. :) Runs off 120/240, and can throw up to 200 amps at any metal you got. I use a 300dx and have had two other guys bring in their 200dx's (they are relatively portable)... nothing but awesome. I'm looking to get one for myself once I graduate from UT. Well, that and a new VMax, LOL! :) :) :)

I highly reccomend anything Miller. I own a 150STH Maxstar TIG and two miller welding hoods. I don't have a MIG yet since I've had access to many at my day job. Now that the company doesn't exist, I'm looking into getting a 200DX. Unless your doing structural steel, 200 amps will be more than enough for 99% of users. :thumbup:

sorry if i missed it in the thread, but what kind of wheels are you running??? they look like rotas??

Haha, that's what caught my attention, I run 17x9 grids on my sti!

Sick. I'm a long time TE37/Grid fan. (not mine though :()

6480_1.jpg

Speaking of WRX's...

Would it be a reasonable idea to use a factory WRX STi turbo on a XJ 4.0? or is it too small? How easy or difficult would it be to use the WRX Turbo flange with the XJ Turbo exhaust manifold.

That one is nice, sorry for the OT, but since that one got whipped out

TybeeIslandPre-ChristmasStiWheels274.jpg

there is mine :D

Hey its boosted, so OT ftw! :D

^ pure sex! ^

Speaking of WRX's...

Would it be a reasonable idea to use a factory WRX STi turbo on a XJ 4.0? or is it too small? How easy or difficult would it be to use the WRX Turbo flange with the XJ Turbo exhaust manifold.

I wouldn't. The turbo would be small, but also you'd more than likely run into fitment issues since the turbo housings we're made specific to the WRX application.

The Borg Warner that I'm running is more expensive, but it'd be new and sized correctly. :thumbup:

damn thoes things are ugly.

They're hot, and I love them performance wise. But it's hot bod, and total butterface. I can't get past the shnoze. Face down two bagger.

x2... very impressed! Looks like you used a TIG? Some guys can weld pop cans with those. Insane to watch. I tried it once and all I end up with is a couple of swiss cheese soda cans.

+1 on the welds! We need a "like" button... Burnt Soda Cans ftw :D

Thank you guys. :)

I am much better with stainless than aluminum though however. Aluminum gets me frustrated lol.

Aluminum can be a real PITA at first but once you get over the initial hump it's not so bad. Finding the correct settings on the welder will make a big difference too.

~Alex

Very nice!

I'm assuming that the mating holes for the forward reinforcement flange are already extant in the block? If so, using them is a very good idea (to help support the weight of the turbosupercharger, in addition to keeping the primaries short.) You're showing excellent design philosophy there.

Side question - you went to all that work on the exhaust, have you considered doing similar work to design a short intake for belt-driven supercharger (Lysholm & Roots) applications? Ram tuning isn't needed for a supercharger, so a more compact package would be wonderful for that sort of thing.

Looks like I'll have to get a 7120 head soon! I've been wanting to stick a Lysholm on a stroker and make a sleeper out of it, but I'd end up having to fabricate an intake to stick the blower on its side and keep it all
underhood...
Rick remmers sells a kit for superchargers I haven't been able to find it online but I saw a thread with it on a different website

question, if I were stripping all but the alternator accessory-wise, would it make any difference in performance to have the turbo further forward (more towards where the power steering pump would have been)? Trying to plan for a street sleeper :D

question, if I were stripping all but the alternator accessory-wise, would it make any difference in performance to have the turbo further forward (more towards where the power steering pump would have been)? Trying to plan for a street sleeper :D

I love sleepers :farmer:

I doubt there would be any noticable change however. More than likely the engine mount would get in the way as well.

No noticeable change is what I like to hear, lol. just trying to find somewhere less crowded to mount the turbo is all, preferably farther away from the intake. I'd love to sit in the shop and BS with you for awhile about this over a beer, I'm infected with turbonium now :D Too bad you're so far off. I'll likely only be running an alternator mounted down low and the water pump, so I'm thinking with electric fans I can put the turbo either where the PS pump is currently, or over by the AC pump's original location.

enough bs when is the kit going to be available. i saw ur thread when u built the first setup. i dont know anything about turbos so that why i need a ready to go kit. plus im too lazy to research.

Back