• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New NAXJA sponsor! Boostwerks brings you the first 4.0L turbo manifold!

Thanks for the links Kastein and XJboy. Looks like you did a lot of "packaging" work that turned out well, Congrats. I've done one turbo conversion myself, 87 Charger and it was a nightmare even with factory parts available at the junkyard. Have you decided on a kit price and do you know how soon it will be available?

Constructively speaking, there appears to be a lot of resistance to flow. As I understand it, an equal length tubular header will make much more power (and sound different) than the log design. Why did you design it this way? Was it because of the terrible intake manifold position? Actually, now that I think about it a little more, it looks really good. Head design on the 4.0 isn't exactly conducive to optimum turbo system design. :) The fabrication quality does look fantastic, for sure.
What is the capacity of the water-to-air intercooler system and how long does it seem to take to get hot?

Last edited:
inline 6s in small engine compartments originally meant for I4s and V6s aren't really conducive to equal length tubular headers... there just plain isn't enough space.

I dunno if I agree with that assessment Kastein, but it doesn't really matter. Just adding boost allows you to get away with a lot, and considering that I think the Boostwerks setup is only running 8 psi or so, a log-style runner is fine. It will still make power. There is someone else on here building their own manifold, and it is also tubular and at least attempting to be equal length. You'd be surprised what some tight radius bends can get you. For example, check out Boost Logic's Nissan GTR.

Constructively speaking, there appears to be a lot of resistance to flow. As I understand it, an equal length tubular header will make much more power (and sound different) than the log design. Why did you design it this way? Was it because of the terrible intake manifold position? Actually, now that I think about it a little more, it looks really good. Head design on the 4.0 isn't exactly conducive to optimum turbo system design. :) The fabrication quality does look fantastic, for sure.
What is the capacity of the water-to-air intercooler system and how long does it seem to take to get hot?

The biggest factor in the log design was durabiity, with marketability being the second. The straight log design with simplicity in mind, is VERY strong and durable. I didn't want to fab something that a customer (me included) wouldn't feel absolutely 100% confident about high up on a mountain somewhere. The second reason for marketability is that a tubular design would take much more time to fabricate along with the increase in material cost. For the small gain's that would be acheived (especially on a 4.0L AMC application) by designing a tubular manifold instead simply isn't worth the added cost.

I appreciate the input!

You bring up a very good point, and that is "know your market." In racing and speed oriented applications the relatively small gains of a more intricate manifold are everything. Here I think you've hit the nail on the head. I hope I didn't come off critical in text, cause I'm just curious. I really appreciate your straight talk concerning what's going on in your head.
I just noticed you have already very thoughtfully answered that question on the first page of the build thread. Sorry.

Oh yeah, I still would like details on the intercooler water system. I noticed it's tied in to the vehicle cooling system, yes? Whats the "normal" operating temp now that it's turbo'd with the intercooler water plumbed this way? I was contemplating for a long time whether or not to go water instead of air...ALMOST went water... but decided to stick with air. I'd love to see some temps if you have them. I'm crazy curious.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I still would like details on the intercooler water system. I noticed it's tied in to the vehicle cooling system, yes? Whats the "normal" operating temp now that it's turbo'd with the intercooler water plumbed this way? I was contemplating for a long time whether or not to go water instead of air...ALMOST went water... but decided to stick with air. I'd love to see some temps if you have them. I'm crazy curious.

The IC water system is a closed circuit seperate from the vehicles cooling system. The bosch pump simply moves the coolant (mostly deionized water and some antifreeze) through the IC into the heat exchanger and back into IC. Its a very small and simple circuit. This system doesn't even need an expansion tank since it never gets above 110deg's (highest I've recorded), and most of the time the water temp hovers around the current ambient temp. It's a very efficient system since the motor is in boost very little of the systems operating time.

Air/Air is honestly my prefered way to IC a turbo setup due to it's simplicity, but Air/Water is great for space constraints. :cheers:

The IC water system is a closed circuit seperate from the vehicles cooling system. The bosch pump simply moves the coolant (mostly deionized water and some antifreeze) through the IC into the heat exchanger and back into IC. Its a very small and simple circuit. This system doesn't even need an expansion tank since it never gets above 110deg's (highest I've recorded), and most of the time the water temp hovers around the current ambient temp. It's a very efficient system since the motor is in boost very little of the systems operating time.

Air/Air is honestly my prefered way to IC a turbo setup due to it's simplicity, but Air/Water is great for space constraints. :cheers:

do you run a transmission Cooler?

do you run a transmission Cooler?

Yup. I run it inline after the radiator. The AW4 seems to be doing just fine. I also have a gauge on it, and havn't seen temps above 200deg powering up a mountain highway. Most of the time it sits around 120-150.

I also run Amsoil's ATF which I've had great results with.

Any chance you can post pics of the Tranny cooler and the Heat exchanger?

What Brand cooler did you get?

Thank you

sweet bout time someone made a nice turbo manifold for the 4.0 .. i have been building turbo cars for bout 5 years now i always dreaded doin the 4.0 .. and also the nissan l28 has the same drivers side intake /exaust set up no rooms for anything

good work .. :yelclap:

Sweet. I'm not gonna lie, I was a lotta bit worried when I thought the IC was plumbed into the radiator. I'm also kinda surprised I couldn't hear the blow-off valve at all in any of the videos. Someone has likely asked this before as well, but do you have any dyno numbers you can post?

IMHO, the volumetric efficiancy of Brysons design is better than a (tuned header) in the fact that in his design, it will take less volume to build pressure to spin the turbo as where a tuned header would have more volume, possibly flowing smoother but only in a nat. aspired engine. the tuned header set-up could possibly lead to (turbo lag). In turbo setups, the flow of the exhaust is not so important until it exits the turbo, then is when you want it to flow freely so as not to buck against the turbo. on the exhaust inlet side of the turbo the more pressure you build and the speed therein, the better to spool up quicker.

Last edited:
IMHO, the volumetric efficiancy of Brysons design is better than a (tuned header) in the fact that in his design, it will take less volume to build pressure to spin the turbo as where a tuned header would have more volume, possibly flowing smoother but only in a nat. aspired engine. the tuned header set-up could possibly lead to (turbo lag). In turbo setups, the flow of the exhaust is not so important until it exits the turbo, then is when you want it to flow freely so as not to buck against the turbo. on the exhaust inlet side of the turbo the more pressure you build and the speed therein, the better to spool up quicker.
Could be true, as I'm no expert. As I understand the benefits of the tuned header will only really come into play at high power and/or RPMs anyway. I'm not sure I understand how the VE is affected positively by the log header design, since the VE goes up with the boost. Boost pressure and flow (in CFM) are not the same thing. Also, the higher the pressure in the system, the more and more important good flow characteristics will become (from intake to exhaust) because the resistance to flow will increase (exponentially, like drag maybe?) as pressure increases. The log IS better for a quicker spool I'm sure. As with most turbo housings and the a/r ratios will prove, quicker spool means lower flow capability and less power up top. That's the trade off, and Bryson wants quick spool. The tuned header will make more power as you turn up the boost than a log design. That doesn't really matter here though, and I think Bryson has also made it clear that his goal with the design was never to eek every last horse out of the 4.0 (a concept I was missing with my first post), but to be a solid and reliable power upgrade for the Jeeps... and that he has achieved.

Child9... you are spot on with your last post. A tuned equal length header on the 4.0L would simply be a waste of time, unless your specificly trying to build the worlds most powerful AMC motor (not hard to do lol).

Also on a low boost setup like mine, the gain between a true tubular and the log would be negligable at best.

We still havn't sold a single manifold peeps! Tell your freinds, tell your coworkers, sell your girl freinds cloths! I dare you guy's to tackle the challenge and find out what your 4.0L is capable of!

I myself want to know what the stock internal components are capable of handling... but I am just skipping the R&D and am putting a 2JZ-GTE in instead. Pros are it'll handle over 800 before blowing up... but I'm giving up an ENTIRE LITER of displacement. I wanna see a 4.0 rival my 3.0L 2J... can anyone put 400 to the wheels? I bet Bryson's manifold will facilitate that EASY. Triple. Dog. Dare. :)

(PLUG)If I had the money I would have purchased a Boostworks Manifold for my turbo project. The fact That its Stainless alone and completly backpurged during welding are great selling points. The price is very fair for what your getting.
I made a some what tubular steel manifold,and it was long painstaking work. Would not rec doing unless your poor and crazy.

So lets start seeing some more turbo xj's.I need some competion for the blvd.on fri nights in my neck of the woods.

We still havn't sold a single manifold peeps! Tell your freinds, tell your coworkers, sell your girl freinds cloths! I dare you guy's to tackle the challenge and find out what your 4.0L is capable of!

Facts and data drive sales, fwiw. I'm very interested in dyno numbers.

I try not to state too many things as fact whether I feel it is or not, but back-purging during stainless tube welding is CRITICAL and is the standard. Anyone who doesn't do it doesn't know any better. Without back-purging, stainless develops what we call "sugar" on the inside, and this is indiciative of a porous and weak weld. Grinding the sugar away is not an acceptable alternative, either. I believe any good professional stainless welder knows this. Good job Bryson.

Back