• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy and project pics

Nice way to shit on this guys pride there bucko.

not my intent, bud....

just sayin to everyone else....if you score a 305...slap it in...

if not, and you wanna do a V8 swap...go to a 350...swap will be identical as the 305..and you'll end up with more power than the 4.0 AND the cool v8 sound, since thats important...

not tryin to be a dick...just statin to the newbies that a 305 is in the same power bracket as the 4.0 I6...and its alot of work for not much more power...thats all.....bucko

If memory serves, most engines sucked in the late 70's.

The engine came from a 88 Trans Am/Firebird. The intake is a Edelbrock that is made for the 86 up heads and there is a 600 Holley under the lid. The trans did have a 231 on it, but a friend needed one and I had a couple 207 S-10 t-cases so no biggie.

Heh, there is a big B@M plate cooler in front of the rad.

Cool, I knew it was an '86/'87 or later becasue of the center bolt valve covers. Thats always a dead giveaway.

Here are some pics of the new goodies.

Hood pin clipped. Their Moroso BTW.
DSC00999.jpg

Unclipped. Nothing to lose.
DSC01000.jpg

The new recovery jug.
DSC01001.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

I'm thinking seriously about getting street rod headers, got the number and dimensions already because I don't think my valve cover gaskets will last long where the manifolds are. Might be 1/8" gap between the two. Both sides have the same gap. I only want to build my exhaust once.
DSC01007.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

nice work you've done there.

one question...

what kinda shocks are in this thing??

DSC00914.jpg

Some no name POS with a overload spring on it cuz the leaves are toast. (n) They were on it when I got it. I'll change those when I get new springs, eventually.

I don't think I've ever seen shocks like those, with a coil around the shock body... I've seen 'steering stabilizers' like that, but never a shock... huh.

just fire up a bastard pack, simple, effective and customizable (thats a word right?) ride/lift height.

good luck, keep up the good work.

It should run alot better then when I got it. The crank in the 2.8 was broke. The 305 was a screamer in my buddy's Dakota so it should be just dandy in my pig.

Shocks like that are common, just shocks with overload coils on them. When I unhooked them to put the shackles in, the body dropped a inch. Depending on when or what lift to go with, I'll get new springs and be done with it.

Since where I work is one of the oldest BDS dealers in the area, I'm thinking about a 4 1/2" long arm system. I don't want to go taller cuz it's a PITA to climb in all the time and I'm getting too old for jumping.

I think I'm babbling.............

Nice looking SBC swap. I wouldn't be surprised if the sbc is lighter than a 4.0L.. I used to be really into SBC's but I cant remember everything about them. Since its a 88, is it a roller motor ? I had a 84 TA with a HO 305.. The camshaft split in half, then I swapped in a 350. I kept the 305 HO heads, and I want to build up this 283 I have with them. I just dont have anything to swap it in.. except for my XJ.. but I'm spoiled with the EFI

Thanks!

I swapped a good pair of 4.0 front springs cuz one of the stockers was broke (the tail of the spring at the bottom) and the front end picked up a bit over a inch.

The engine is set up as a roller, but it is currently a standard flat lifter. The blocks have the boss's for the roller set up but some (mainly TBI trucks) that wasn't machined for roller. I have a roller 350 I'm planning on putting in my S-10 someday. I'm thinking of going to TBI on this if all works well.

Haven't done much lately, but I did do a couple things.

Hood struts, they work beautify.
DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

They open the hood further than with the prop rod and hold it open a foot if need be.
DSC01027.jpg

Had a set of mid 80's truck manifolds laying around and decided to fit them. Alot better clearance and should make building exhaust a bit better.
DSC01030.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

I haven't done the pass side yet because I need to pull the trans cooler lines and fab new ones because the outlet on the new manifold dumps where the cooler lines currently are, but once that is done I'll get pics of that.

Slow going now. Still need to come up with the funds for driveshafts, want those in before the exhaust gets done so clearances are right, at least the front.

Not running yet. No ambition and no funds usually stalls a project. Maybe spring I'll be driving this. Hopefully the tax returns will cover everything else.

I'm 45 min south of you by Allendale.

I did find and put on a front skid plate a week ago. Wanted a little protection for the rad since it's lower.

The truck manifolds won't work, the pass side won't agree with anything. Looks like I'll be getting the Hedmans.

Got the driveshafts done. D&R did a good job again. Those will go in once I get bolts for the front.

Got the shortie headers. They fit like a glove and clear everything.
DSC01035.jpg

I just need to build the exhaust now. And tackle a few little things.

Looks like I'll be driving this thing this year, hopefully..........

where did you get the hood struts? was also looking for some replacements for the tailgate, but new there like $30 each! Any alternatives out there?

Also, I was just looking at the same hood pins, but how did you get those brackets? did you just make them, because those seem alot simpler then trying to weld the pins to the front crossmember.

oh and could you possible post a closeup of your spring setup that you use to push the hood up the first couple inches?

THANKS!

The struts are Redline Tuning. You could take extended and collapsed measurements and look at the store for something that fits. Might take a couple tries to get the right compression and extension weights.

I made the pin brackets. They used existing bolts and holes. I'm not totally happy with them and will probably refine them some more.

84-86 I believe used the center hood latch till it went to the corner latches later. The spring is stock. I removed the latch because it interfered with the radiator.

Back