• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy and project pics

"Rear mount" AC? As in what they have in the HMMWV aux system? Doesn't that get mounted in the back of the vehicle?

I was thinking use the existing condensor, grab a Chevy and Jeep AC hose from the junkyard. Cut the accumulator manifold off, and the Chevy compressor manifold. Tap each to accept a JIC connection (likely a -8), and then have AC hoses using JIC swivel connections fabricated (actually, build them myself, after finding compatible hose material).

JIC fittings and field-serviceable hoses really make a lot of the headache in engine swaps just disappear.

Absolutely, watch the lines! :)

You were going to run a 700R4 and 231 out of a S10, right? Did I see that you put the SYE out of a Jeep 231 in the Chevy 231 without problems?

What happened to the 231? Was it DOA?

Also, what's the fitment for the AL radiator?

Incidentally, I am presently putting this exact same year motor in my S10. My S10 4X4 Blazer has Dana 44's front/rear, making installing a V8 MUCH easier.

The 305 I am installing came out of an 88 TPI Firebird. We pulled it out of my former friend's CJ in good running condition as he was PCSing to CA and wanted the new drivetrain in place to avoid the Smog Nazis while trying to do it there. The engine originally had TPI, had a carby manifold when I got it (Edelbrock Torqer II), and I just scored a factory TBI manifold off of Ebay for it. I have a broken bolt in the water neck to remove, but for the price I can deal with that.

I'm using the factory Camaro 305 manifolds in my Blazer, think they might work in the XJ as well- what made you go with the Ramhorns?

Yup. Zero problems. It's all the same inside. This came with a 207. The 231 is an upgrade. I got the Chevy 231 from a friend who was parting an S-Blazer. The rad fits between the steering box and the pass frame rail with not much room to spare on either side. Made my lower mount from a Chevy upper truck rad support. Modded to fit everything and then braced. You can stand on it and it doesn't move.

Any idea what the application was originally for those headers?

Back