• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new bumper for Christmas

red_01_xj said:
n33801372_30918801_6626.jpg

This is how I ran mine as you can see i holes in my bumper and ran the mounts through, I then beefed up the mounting brackets so they wouldn't twist...if your are using the C4x4 brackets and still are able to mount the tow hooks, I would leave them there and use those for recovery.

Dont be sorry for the way this thread has gone...we can use this to teach others how to add the proper recovery points

here is how mine turned out
n33801372_30959608_8697.jpg
Thats just as scary if not more than his bumper

What's wrong with this one!? I agree with the tab passing thru the bumper but this one does that...? Not very 'pretty' but it looks like it would hold up just fine..

kinda reminds me of Jurassic Park.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Thats just as scary if not more than his bumper
whats so scary about it

It appears to be 1/4" not much over 1-1/2" in height and with the bumper standing almost 3" past the body(plus the the bumper itself,plus the tab) thats not really going to stand up to a real side pull,shear problably wont be an issue.But at minimum the "double/triple" plating should extend as far as possible!The "good" thing is that they are part of the mount and not mounted elsewhere like the bumpers recently posted in another thread.Not very good pics(I really need to update some of these pages),but it should show what Im trying to point out!The bumper fits tight to the grille(1/2") and is curved(I still havent seen anyone else do that out of 2x2" receiver stock).
http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_hq51gQJZjgg3M13QnEnq0+NiOmzcB+jS

Wil Badger said:
The last time I was in Paragon I had a friend who hung his 3/4 ton Ford on a good section of the frame

I had to snatch block twice.From my rear winch mount to a tree then back to another snatch block on a chain strung between both my rear tabs.

These tabs were both 1" thick and the rear bumper was 1/4" square stock.
129DSCF001811-med.JPG

That 1" tab bent over and deformed the 1/4" square stock.Now would you want to try that with some surface mounted D rings.I sure wouldn't
problem using this example is that those tabs weren't used as they were designed. they were designed to be pulled straight ahead, or perhaps a few degrees off at best, so yes the 1/4" will deform, and even 1" thick will bend. with those 2 snatch blocks were you 'snapping the line taught with every pull, or slowly pulling? as I would think a snatch block coming a part would be a concern for you if you were taking a run at pulling him out.
If the original poster were using his points with a winch, would a winch give enough of a jerk to rip those tabs off, or would they put much the same strain as being used as a tie down point.

348rear-rings1-med.JPG

Which when used to tie down to the body of a vehicle would suffer some jerking strain when the suspension compresses and then jerks back up while going over a bump in the road... not much, but something to keep in mind when using those weak mounting points.

any reason you didn't feel the need to tell EvilMonkey (JCROffroad) that their face mounted shackle mounts are not adequate if used for a recovery point? I mean after all the bad talk about being welded just to the front of the bumper not through it, shouldn't they catch some flack for the countless bumpers they have sold (and the shackle mounts I bought off them to mount on mine)

back to previous reply

any word on required bolt count to meet strength needs?

p.s. you can see who is lurking in a thread ready to reply to anyone who may wish to give an opinion... names are down near bottom left under Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread... was there when I started reply... still there... g'nite.

Last edited:
Wil Badger said:
You used a piece of 1/4 plate through the bumper with a piece of 1/4 welded to each side of that right?
no its much thicker than that...i dont rember exact demensions, but the main plates were 3/16" the rest were added to the thickness of the clevis such that there wouldnt be any play, they have held up to quite a few side pulls, and havent had a problem yet

on a side note it is out so far to allow for a winch

beakie said:
any reason you didn't feel the need to tell EvilMonkey (JCROffroad) that their face mounted shackle mounts are not adequate if used for a recovery point? I mean after all the bad talk about being welded just to the front of the bumper not through it, shouldn't they catch some flack for the countless bumpers they have sold (and the shackle mounts I bought off them to mount on mine)

JCRs reasoning for not passing them thru the bumper was that they are 4" tall... more weld surface I suppose...

beakie said:
problem using this example is that those tabs weren't used as they were designed. they were designed to be pulled straight ahead, or perhaps a few degrees off at best, so yes the 1/4" will deform, and even 1" thick will bend. with those 2 snatch blocks were you 'snapping the line taught with every pull, or slowly pulling? as I would think a snatch block coming a part would be a concern for you if you were taking a run at pulling him out.
If the original poster were using his points with a winch, would a winch give enough of a jerk to rip those tabs off, or would they put much the same strain as being used as a tie down point.

Do you even have a clue as to what a snatch block is? What do you mean snapping the line taught,or taking a run at it?Are you thinking I was using my winch and line as a strap? You never use a winch and line in that manner, if you are.The chain that the second snatch block was on was about a foot or two off the rear of the bumper while being used.The pull of the winch and the weight of the vehicle is what did that.That bumper was a one off custom.I understand that you should try to always make a straight shot off them but the thing is sometimes its just not do able and you have to do some thing like I had to.

beakie said:
348rear-rings1-med.JPG

Which when used to tie down to the body of a vehicle would suffer some jerking strain when the suspension compresses and then jerks back up while going over a bump in the road... not much, but something to keep in mind when using those weak mounting points.

When I have my Jeep loaded and its being towed my suspension is sucked all the way down.Also the weight of my vehicle alone is not enough to break the D ring or tear it from its mounting point.What you fail to realize is that when you yank on a vehicle to recovery it you are putting more strain on that recovery point then the weight of the vehicle.So if a vehicle weighs 4500 pounds .Its stuck in the mud and not going anywhere .When you attach a strap and another vehicle you are multiplying the weight of the stuck vehicle several fold.So you are adding the weight of the Jeep plus what ever resistance force you are stuck in or on.So a 1 ton vehicle can easily need 2 tons of force or more to remove.

beakie said:

He explained his reasons.He is breaking it down to welded surface space.I don't total agree with his reasonings and I kind of said that.

Wil Badger said:
Ya wasn't so sure on yours thats why I said "most are built correctly",not to say yours aren't built correctly If you feel thats enough hey thats your deal.I just prefer to have them pass through and to the mounting plates

I believe in having more beef then you would ever think you would need.You know you will always be covered in case of any situation.

Hey Red01xj, I like the way your hoop comes up and protects your grill, looks cool and gives your Jeep attitude. I don't ever plan on putting a winch on my jeep because, if I do I know I will do something stupid!! That is why I keep saying that those D-rings will do what I ask them to do.

I like your bumper, it fits your jeep well. Surface mount is fine-
Heres me, pullin a 6.5 3/4T Burban with 7 ppl in it- yank yank yank with my JCR Prerunner which has surface mounts
random923008.jpg

Wil Badger said:
He explained his reasons.He is breaking it down to welded surface space.I don't total agree with his reasonings and I kind of said that.

Well that and the fact the tabs are welded directly to the top and bottom face of the bumper. If they bent sideways they would have to bend the top and bottom of the bumper somehow as well.

Wil Badger said:
Do you even have a clue as to what a snatch block is?
When I have my Jeep loaded and its being towed my suspension is sucked all the way down.Also the weight of my vehicle alone is not enough to break the D ring or tear it from its mounting point.What you fail to realize is that when you yank on a vehicle to recovery it you are putting more strain on that recovery point then the weight of the vehicle.So if a vehicle weighs 4500 pounds .
I believe in having more beef then you would ever think you would need.You know you will always be covered in case of any situation.

I understand all that, my point really had nothing to do with any of that, I was giving you a hard time on something that really didn't matter to me. From the get go it seemed Semper Fi was getting a hard time for no reason and I figured why not leave him alone and pick on someone else.
I feel his bumper will fit the bill for whatever he requires it too, and others do too. When you post on this site you have to expect to get flamed for every little thing, design, looks, material strength, paint colour... everything. But on this topic I felt everything was A-One, the fact he had to repeatedly defend himself just seemed to suck, so I was bored and felt like having you do the same.

If any hard feelings, well 'ce la vie' and it will go on.

To jack just a bit, to mount my JCR shackle mounts I figured I would be welding all the way around them to the bumper, than I would drill 2 holes from the back and plunge weld them from there too... not that I don't feel secure in the outer welds (less secure about my welding abilities) but as stated, if you over design you shouldn't come up short when needed.

Semper Fi said:
What you guys, and Wil Badger, are saying does make sence to me. I will try, if I have time, and take a pic of the brackets tomorrow. They are the same ones that came with the Custom 4x4 tow hooks, they are their brackets. If you know how many they use then you know the answer to the question, please share. I honestly don't know how the bumper is mounted to the Jeep, and neither does Wil Badger, which is my point. As for recovery, I use a strap with clevis on each end. Is there anything wrong with that type of set up that I don't know about? I will take a pic of it also.

If the setup these guys gave me when they made the bumper is like you are saying, then how would you fix it? I'm not going to buy or build another bumper, so how would you fix what I have? could you weld a plate on the inside of the bumper? would that work?

And thanks guys, Red, Beakie, bandit, and all the others. When I started this thread I never intended for it to go the way it has. Let me be the first to say I am truely sorry that it has gone this way. You guys on here are great and I have learned a lot from the sight!

Bandit455, I don't run covers on the lights. I do carry them in the Jeep, for the Hella's. The little ones I couldn't cover if I wanted to. The Hellas are on a switch, so I can turn them off if I was made to. The little ones, well I assumed that they were just like the ones from the factory that are bright as hell when they get behind you.

thanks for the light info sempre fi

just wondering, what are the specs of ur rig?

2001 Cherokee Limited, RE 6030 3.5 inch lift, Advanced Adapters HD SYE conversion, Tom Wood's driveshaft 265/70/16's, Hella 500's, Cobra CB radio, custom 4x4 CBant. mount, 4.10 gears, K&N air intake, MVCustoms front bumper.

I have a few more plans for the future. I want to put some boomerang shackles in the back. I'm still running the stock shackles and it rides pretty rough!! I think, from what I have read on here, that the boomerang shackles will help smooth it out a little. After they are put on I would like to level it out with some spacers. I also need to put longer brake lines on it, they are also still stock. Once that is all done I will then put on a new trac bar and tint the windows. Then to finish it all off I'm looking at doing the the Rock Krawler Long Arm upgrade. By then the wife will be so tired of the Jeep, and gas prices will be so high, I will have to sell it.

Back