• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new bumper for Christmas

I'm not so much bashing them .Yes the ring itself is rated for 24,000 pounds when its mounted to something substantial that can take that load.A piece of 1/4" steel is not in my opinion.

If it works for you that great but I would much rather spend my money on steel and build my own to my liking.

I'm just wondering what it is that you plan on mounting it to? The "frame" of the Jeep? I think the frame of the Jeep is lighter steel than the bumper is made of, I might be wrong and please tell me if I am. Did you miss the part in my reply where I said that the guy lifted his jeep by the bumper with the front end loader??

ya that doesn't mean crap.lifting a Jeep is a static load.When you start tugging on those points that is no longer a static load.As to what its mounted to ya it doesn't amount to much .Its dispersing that load over the entire front end .This is why I tend to like Rigids design .He not only uses the frame rails he also uses the front cross member as well.His design uses up to 26 bolts to the frame.

Whats yours using possibly 14? and thats if you used the holes on the passenger side frame rail for the right hand drive steering box.

before this bumper was put on my Jeep, I had a pair of tow hooks from Custom 4x4. They came with braces/brackets that run down the "frame rails" on both sides. I don't know the bolt count, but I do know that those D-rings that you don't like are mounted/welded to the bumper right where those brackets are. this bumper is in no way not beefy, and I would not be afraid to pull or be pulled out by them! It's funny that you would say that those D-rings will not hold up but you would be ok hooking to those tow hooks to winch someone out.

The tow hooks are the same thing as everyone is suggesting. You want the hook attached to the framerails. I think everyone cares more about the sheet steel tearing rather than pulling the framerail apart. I don't wanna get into it. I'm running mine thru the bumper to the bumper bracket...

Did I ever say I wouldn't pull somebody out using them? Find were I said that,good luck.I'm simply saying those mounts are not as strong as a tab that passes through the bumper and is welded to both sides.the chances of the bumper deforming around the ring under a heavy load is higher since the load is not being displaced to both sides of the bumper.

the classic pic
diagram.gif

just to give you an idea on mounting points

this is Rigids header plate.every hole you see gets a bolt in it
Ridico5.sized.jpg

drivers side plate.passenger is a mirror image of this.the two outer bolts to the left are going through the header plate and the outer plate tying them together.
Rigidco21.sized.jpg

so count them all up(not including those two outer bolts since they don't go to the frame) and you get 26 bolts holding the bumper to the vehicle.The tow hook brackets use the 3 factory bumper bolts then a 4th hole back further on the frame.so thats 8 bolts maybe 10.thats not the issue that I keep bring up though.The issue I keep bring up is that a single shear mount is not the best type.yes they will work and you may never have an issue with them .But the chances are there that the bumper face can deform from heavy tugging or winching.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go out and count the bolts that are in the bumper or the frame. I know there are more than 4 bolts holding it in place, I bolted them and the tow hooks on. I know that bumper will do what I want it to do whenever I call on it. I have seen your Jeep and you do more than I ever plan on doing with my Jeep as well as half of the others that are on this sight. The other half of us use our Jeeps to play with and then use them as DD's. I don't really think that those of us that use them as DD's will ever deform the front of this bumper. If you want them, MVCustoms, to build you one of these great, just have them build the D-rings the way you want them. You have called them once, call them again and talk with them. I am very happy with the look, the build, quality, and the price of the bumper!

yes she does have a sister and she lives in Montana somewhere. She said I could post a pic of her if I also posted a pic of me, so here you go.
100_3892.jpg

100_3894.jpg

I'm not bashing your set-up. I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about rigid. I just want to make sure I am seeing this right.

I only see 4 bolts that mount the bumper (2 per side), and the rest are to hold the "frame" reinforcment plates. I think they got a little bolt happy, but better safe then sorry. I guess atleast this way the "frame" is not the weak point.

Wil Badger said:
this is Rigids header plate.every hole you see gets a bolt in it
Ridico5.sized.jpg

drivers side plate.passenger is a mirror image of this.the two outer bolts to the left are going through the header plate and the outer plate tying them together.
Rigidco21.sized.jpg

so count them all up(not including those two outer bolts since they don't go to the frame) and you get 26 bolts holding the bumper to the vehicle.The tow hook brackets use the 3 factory bumper bolts then a 4th hole back further on the frame.so thats 8 bolts maybe 10.thats not the issue that I keep bring up though.The issue I keep bring up is that a single shear mount is not the best type.yes they will work and you may never have an issue with them .But the chances are there that the bumper face can deform from heavy tugging or winching.

Wil Badger said:
Its a nice looking bumper but for 550 and 600 for a winch mount is just way to much for my tastes.Not to mention the D rings are surface mounted which is never a good thing.Making your recovery points single shear it has always been a no no.I would still rather go with a Rigid for 450 and its beefier.
:yap: :yap: :yap:

The bumper is SWEET!! :patriot: Wish my wife would do that for me!! Though she did buy me a nice little welder!!:) Now I can build my very own bumper!! NAXJA

No you are seeing it right there are only 4 bolts holding the bumper to the outer brackets.There are also 4 more bolts holding the bumper on in the center behind the hitch mount.

Rigidco23.sized.jpg

So into total there are 8 bolts holding the bumper to front of the vehicle.I can understand that some would see this as the weak point.With grade 8 bolts I think this is plenty.The true weak point to the Cherokee has always been the frame it attaches to .

I can see now that I'm going to catch shit because I clearly said that there are 26 bolts holding the bumper to the frame.When I should have said there are 26 bolts reinforcing the bumper to the frame which in actuality there are 22 since I counted the 4 middle ones on my original count.

I stand by what I said in my first post I never really questioned how many bolts are holding his bumper to the frame and I'm sure what he has in enough to take the abuse of yanking the Jeep from were it might be stuck.What I questioned was the cheap way out of making recovery points on the bumper itself.Yes they can take a heavy load.Might even truly be 24,000 pounds but with out the proper material to back them up they will deform the bumper or possibly tear from the face of the bumper all together.Welds might be fine and may never crack.Hell they could have the perfect penetration but that doesn't take away from the fact they are welded to 1/4 thick square stock.If they were properly welded to something say 1/2 stock that were also then fully gusseted into the bumper and frame tie ins then great I would condone it with no issue.

So I will end this with, what works for him is great but i would not run that on my truck.He posted a picture in hopes that everybody would tell him what a nice bumper he got .Well guess what your aren't always going to get praise, sometimes other peoples opinions don't match your own.

Its a nice looking bumper but the recovery points aren't the best and thats all I was trying to convey but peoples asses get all puckered up when they don't get to hear what they want to hear.........sorry

My ass didn't get all puckered!! You just ass-umed, and still are, that my bumper is only held on by 4 or 8 bolts, whatever you said, and that it's not beefy enough. All this you got from 2 pictures that don't even show just how beefy the bumper is or how the bumper is attached to the Jeep. All those 2 pictures show is how it looks on the Jeep.

I was proud that, and still am, my wife would go out and build this bumper for me while I was away, and give it to me for Christmas. I just wanted to see what other Jeepers thought of my design.

I didn't build the thing and I'm sure this will do anything I ask it to do. Like I have said before, if you want them to build you one like this, but want something build differently just tell them. It seems to me that you are the one that got the puckered ass when someone disagreed with your knowledge of front bumpers!!

You might want to call the guys that made this bumper and tell them that it isn't beefy enough and that their recovery tabs are going to rip off also! I got all this from looking at the picture, just like you did, see I'm learning from you already!! Thanks!!
zz.jpg

You might want to reread my first post because you are lost.

Its a nice looking bumper but for 550 and 600 for a winch mount is just way to much for my tastes.Not to mention the D rings are surface mounted which is never a good thing.Making your recovery points single shear it has always been a no no.I would still rather go with a Rigid for 450 and its beefier.

Then in one of your posts you came back with
SemperFi said:
I'm just wondering what it is that you plan on mounting it to? The "frame" of the Jeep? I think the frame of the Jeep is lighter steel than the bumper is made of, I might be wrong and please tell me if I am. Did you miss the part in my reply where I said that the guy lifted his jeep by the bumper with the front end loader??

So this is when I came back with how I would mount a bumper and what I use
Wil Badger said:
ya that doesn't mean crap.lifting a Jeep is a static load.When you start tugging on those points that is no longer a static load.As to what its mounted to ya it doesn't amount to much .Its dispersing that load over the entire front end .This is why I tend to like Rigids design .He not only uses the frame rails he also uses the front cross member as well.His design uses up to 26 bolts to the frame.

Whats yours using possibly 14? and thats if you used the holes on the passenger side frame rail for the right hand drive steering box.

So you see you brought up the mounting design.My only question to your build was the recovery points and it still is.As for me ass-uming look in a mirror there boss.I haven't assumed a thing,you have however.I'm actually getting a giggle out of this.You brought up what I would mount mine to so I obliged and showed you what it takes to disperse the load across the Jeeps frame to take massive amounts of abuse.

So again I will point out my only real concern about the design is the recovery points not how the bumper is mounted.But some how you keep getting hung up on the fact that I'm bringing the bolting system into question.I'm not so get over that whole area of the build.

Its great your wife was nice enough to buy you a bumper ,thats awesome.Its great that you think its enough for you and will work for what you want.

I know the tards that built your bumper and I would never use them for anything.I actually brought up the mounting points to him on another board and he never replied back because he knows I'm right.They cheaped out on your recovery points.Oh and your bumper has about 150 in material in it at most 200.If they are any good it took them all of a day to build it with what they used.So the guy ripped you a new one and made an easy 300 on you .Look at any aftermarket bumper and you find that most are built correctly with recovery tabs that pass through the bumper and cost way less then what you paid.

JCOffroad $295
xjpre-runner.jpg

Custom 4x4 $475 with the hoop( still see that as to much)
FBPreRunner.jpg

looks familiar to doesn't it.

ProtoFab with winch mount $495
xjfrntpwb03.jpg

though they don't use tabs they have hooks mounted on top which I don't like so much.

AJ's Offroad Winch bumper $525 this comes with all mounting plates and hardware(bolts) to mount it
prod_phatxj03-lg.jpg

Ukraine Train NAXJA vendor (I believe) $230
PC050122.jpg

I'm sure He would be happy to give you the Pre Runner hoop for a few bucks

Nates 4x4 $150 and that rounding up
a.jpg

also looks familiar

Nates is pretty much what you got minus the holes for the lights .Did you notice the price? So you paid 400 more to have lights frenched into the bumper.Oh and Nates comes with the mounting plates welded onto the bumper instead of having to use the factory 3 holes and your hook mounts.

Last edited:
Wil Badger said:
Look at any aftermarket bumper and you find that most are built correctly with recovery tabs that pass through the bumper and cost way less then what you paid.

JCOffroad $295
xjpre-runner.jpg

Just to clear it up... our tabs don't go through the bumper. They are 4 7/8" tall so they don't have too.

Back