• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on which direction to go with axles

farvaszx6r

NAXJA Forum User
To start off im building a 2000 xj its mostly a trail rig but want to be able to tackle tough obstacles

I plan on running 35in tires with a 7in lift (re short arm with drop brackets) I've had two other xj's with this set up albeit with 33s and really liked how it wheels but because i need to use 1.5in wheel spacers i would go through a hub every year

Now to my question

I have all the parts to build a super 30 with high steer for an xj axle and i have an xj 44 rear with e locker

I just found a set of jk axles d30/d44 with rims for $800

Would it be worth the time to sell the axles i have now and build the jk axles (to get a stronger hub and get rid of the wheel spacers )

Or would it be a wast of time

To build the jk's i would need high steer knuckles and move the brackets but i would gain bigger brakes and rear disk also i would need a new rear locker

Thanks

I

Sounds like you have everything you need. I too have a 2000 xj, I am sitting at about 6.5 inches with the extra weight I have on it, but I do run a long arm. Not sure what high steer you have, for the less than the 800, you can upgrade to the WJ brakes (bigger rotors, dual piston calipers) doesn't solve the hub problem though. I say this because you already have the parts for the high steer, so assume you have everything to raise the sway bar link and track bar. Anyone that is my two cents.

Thats my dilemma 800 for near new complete axles and 5 wheels it a deal

but what im trying to figure out is would i be able to sell my axles to cover the cost of replacing the high steer, lockers, and chromoly shafts

Thats my dilemma 800 for near new complete axles and 5 wheels it a deal

but what im trying to figure out is would i be able to sell my axles to cover the cost of replacing the high steer, lockers, and chromoly shafts and would it be worth it.

Hmm... 35's, trail rig on a D30. It can be done but you are putting a lot of wear and tear on stuff that is going to break. Depending on how much you want to invest it may just be best to go with what you have and keep spare parts. If I was building axles for 35's. I would go with a D44HP in the front and a Ford 8.8/9" in rear. Or just say FTW and roll on tons :rof:. Also if the D30 you have is the 00 it is probably a LP and not the best option for the D30's. Entirely side bar, but 7" lift with drop brackets and SA for wheeling is something you may want to reconsider. Just my 2 cents......

Here is a pic of my old xj to give you an idea of where im going

IMG00032.jpg.html

As for the xj housing i have its a hp from a 97xj

And the only thing I ever broke a stock abs shaft at the joint. (the guy spoting me had no idea what he was talking about) I got yukon chromoly shafts since then

I have no problems running the xj d30 on 35's im just curious to see if switching to the jk's is worth it (bigger brakes and no spacer

also keep in mind im getting a complete with rotors pads d30 and rear 44 and 5 jk wheels

Personally with a truss and knuckle gussets the 30 from a jk would take 35 inch tires all day. You wouldn't have to buy spacers. The rear jk 44 with a truss would be worlds better then a xj 44. You can polish a xj or tj 30 all you want but the ball joints and ring and pinion will still be your week link. Jk's have larger ring and pinions from the old school axles along with ball joints. Another major plus is aftermarket support for the jk axles is growing faster and getting better than the old style.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of my old xj to give you an idea of where im going

IMG00032.jpg.html

As for the xj housing i have its a hp from a 97xj

And the only thing I ever broke a stock abs shaft at the joint. (the guy spoting me had no idea what he was talking about) I got yukon chromoly shafts since then

I have no problems running the xj d30 on 35's im just curious to see if switching to the jk's is worth it (bigger brakes and no spacer

also keep in mind im getting a complete with rotors pads d30 and rear 44 and 5 jk wheels

Not disputing you can run a D30 with 35's. I just think if you are going to actually build something better to start with a more solid axle and have less chance for stuff breaking. If you're set between the JK vs XJ axle, then yes the JK's are better.

So i decided to build the jk axles and sell my xj axles

Hp xj d30 came out of a 97 with rocky road ott hight steer. yukon 4.56 gears with yukon chromoly shafts and a tru trac, has new skf hubs and new ball joints, pads and rotors are still in good shape

Rear 87 xj 44 yukon 4.56 gears, elocker, 3/8 thick diff cover new seals good drum brakes and stock shafts

Gears and lockers have maybe 8k miles on them
Any ideas what there woth

i sold my d30 and d44 for $700/ea.

30 had 4.10s, lock right, truss, diff cover, chromo shafts, OTK 1 ton steering, and custom trackbar

44 had 4.10s, detroit, truss, diff cover, alloy shafts, disc brakes

I got the same combo. For getting the JK D30 pretty much as cheap as you could it's a steal. I mean you're 5 inches wider, bigger pinion, and the new support for the JK axles is huge. And not to mention disks all round. And I'm 95% sure the control arm mounts are the same. So all you gotta do is coil buckets and shock mounts.

Or you could get TnTs d30 truss and it has everything you need

Is a rubi 44 front better obviously yes. But that's another $2500 minimum complete axle so you do the math. (Me personally, I'm just gonna run my JK D30 till I can upgrade to a 44)

You can polish a xj or tj 30 all you want but the ball joints and ring and pinion will still be your week link. Jk's have larger ring and pinions from the old school axles along with ball joints

Ball joints on a JK are NOT any better. I run them in my XJ 30 with WJ knuckles. They are the exact same as the WJ ball joints. But yes the shafts and gears are both larger and a significant upgrade over our D30

So i picked up the axles yesterday not a bad score i found out there off a 2014 jk with only 7k miles on them the rear 44 already has the electric locker and i got 5 ruby wheels with it pretty sweet for $800

Also now seeing them in person i can say it is quite an upgrade over the xj d30/d44 combo.

The rotors are massive compared to the xj and the tubes are larger as well the rear 44 has 3 1/2 tubes vs the xjs 3in tubes and the d30 is a lot more beefy as well

My plan it to try and reuse the brackets from the jk d30 and weld sleeves into the tubes along with the C braces

If it works i should have it mounted and steering done for just under $500

If you sleeve the jk 30. Remember to drill plenty of holes for plug welds. Long side tube upper control arm weld is a common point for the tube to break. Or any of the longer vertical welds for that manner.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Back