• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Diagnosing Clutch Issues

SEXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I need some help diagnosing clutch issues with my 96 XJ. The symptoms started out being what I thought was a worn clutch (has around 145K and not sure when/if the clutch was ever replaced by PO) as I would put it into 3rd gear, engage the e-brake and lift of the clutch and it would not stall. Being a college student on a low budget I figured I can get some life out of it before I absolutely have to replace it (was saving cash for it in the mean time) since I dont have access to a lift, tranny jack, etc... to do the work myself so I was going to have to take it to a mechanic. I also started noticing a squaking sound whenever I press/de-press the clutch pedal.

Afterwards, the clutch starting feeling squishy and the resistance I would feel started decreasing. Now, I can barely get the tranny into gear, I have to pump the clutch several times and that barely gets me into gear. Sometimes I feel absolutely no resistance and the pedal drops to the floor. The car is absolutely not safe to drive now and its been parked for a couple of days while I tried researching what the issues are.

I have done most of the work on the Jeep including an SYE install, however I have never done any clutch work. Perhaps a good explanation of the clutch system on the 96 and how it works might be of help. Also, being on a tight budget, I would rather attempt to solve/diagnose issues myself and if some are fixable I am willing to get them done. Ideally I want the mechanic to do the actual clutch disk/flywheel/pressure plate but whatever else I can do I would like to in order to save as much as possible.

If someone can please take the time and help me diagnose what issue/issues (Im suspecting multiple issues) Im having I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all your support,
ehanania

It's almost impossible to say what the real issue is. My best advice would be to search for a good mechanic. You could check in advance how your slave cylinder in functioning and also that your crankshaft main seal and the pan gasket are not causing a problem.
But to do it right and check everything, be prepared for.........
New crankshaft pilot bearing
Re-surfaced flywheel
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing
Clutch fork, pivot pin
Transmission main-shaft seal

It's almost impossible to say what the real issue is. My best advice would be to search for a good mechanic. You could check in advance how your slave cylinder in functioning and also that your crankshaft main seal and the pan gasket are not causing a problem.
But to do it right and check everything, be prepared for.........
New crankshaft pilot bearing
Re-surfaced flywheel
Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing
Clutch fork, pivot pin
Transmission main-shaft seal

I know I probably need a new clutch kit (have known that for a while now) including disk, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing. I am looking to diagnose other parts so that whatever I am able to replace I will and the rest ill let a mechanic do. I am really avoiding having to just throw parts cause I suspect theyre bad. For example, how can I diagnose master and slave cylinders (no obvious leaks)? Also, I havent heard of crankshaft pilot bearings wearing out, are they common? I guess those cant be tested until the assembly is taken off correct? I will probably replace the flywheel instead of re-surface. Do the clutch fork and pivot pin wear? Also, if the transmission main-shaft seal is bad it will leak and I should be able to see the oil? Im confused about the crankshaft mains seal and pan gasket causing issues with the clutch engagement and pedal feel, can you please elaborate?

Thanks again

There are potentially two different issues at play.

The first issue described (can't stall it) would tend to indicate a worn out clutch.

The second issue described (squishy pedal) would tend to indicate a problem with the hydraulic master or slave.

The clutch system is a typical hydraulic clutch. Look for a youtube hydraulic clutch tutorial.

Unfortunately all the rest of the things you won't know until you pull either the engine or the trans/transfer case.

There are potentially two different issues at play.

The first issue described (can't stall it) would tend to indicate a worn out clutch.

The second issue described (squishy pedal) would tend to indicate a problem with the hydraulic master or slave.

The clutch system is a typical hydraulic clutch. Look for a youtube hydraulic clutch tutorial.

Yeah from what Ive been reading thats what I'm thinking too. My concern is that now I am unable to put it in gear at all, it seems like the clutch does not disengage/engage fully at all. If I go ahead and replace the master and slave cylinder assembly (buy a pre-bled full assembly) I should, theoretically, be able to drive it to a mechanic shop? I'm just concerned that the master/slave cylinders are functioning fine and the issues im experiencing are from a severly worn clutch disk/throw-out bearing/pressure plate/etc... I would like to be able to diagnose the master and slave cylinders before I go ahead and replace them if thats possible.

Unfortunately all the rest of the things you won't know until you pull either the engine or the trans/transfer case.

Hopefully I dont run into any of these issues *fingers-crossed*

If I go ahead and replace the master and slave cylinder assembly (buy a pre-bled full assembly) I should, theoretically, be able to drive it to a mechanic shop? I'm just concerned that the master/slave cylinders are functioning fine

If that's true you still would not be able to drive it.

Also, I havent heard of crankshaft pilot bearings wearing out, are they common? I guess those cant be tested until the assembly is taken off correct? I will probably replace the flywheel instead of re-surface. Do the clutch fork and pivot pin wear? Also, if the transmission main-shaft seal is bad it will leak and I should be able to see the oil? Im confused about the crankshaft mains seal and pan gasket causing issues with the clutch engagement and pedal feel, can you please elaborate?

Thanks again

Since your going to spend at least $500 on a clutch job, are you willing to do it all over again for a couple of $5 parts???

you forgot to mention if you are losing fluid from slave cylinder i would poke my head under the dash see if you see fluid driping out the back i just had a similar issue it was my slave was bad a new luk is 29.79 API on wholesale close out for 13.29 on rockauto this also was causing an issue with my lights as it was leaking directly on to my fuse panel wich gummed up the plastic and caused corrosion on the fuse and the plastic to seperate

Sounds exactly what I had with my '96. Sporadically, the pedal would flop around and finally engage towards the end of its travel. I could barely get it to go into gear even with the clutch to the floor. The hydraulic assembly is sold as a unit and technically isn't serviceable. It's an R&R part, and it takes all of an hour. I was up and running right after replacing it.

The '96 hydraulic assembly isn't serviceable?

I have bought the hose (or line, or whatever you want to call that plastic tube) by itself. Drift out a couple of pins and you can replace it.

Back