• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 manual xj intermittently not going into gear

Roryd89

NAXJA Forum User
This issue has started recently but has been getting worse, at a bit of a loss and wondering if anybody has any ideas. So every once in a while it will be really really hard to shift into 1st and 2nd gear, doesn’t grind or anything but just physically will not go into gear. Eventually I can muscle it into gear, once it’s in gear the clutch feels like it engages much quicker than normal. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks for the help.

The first thing I would do is a fluid change. Redline MTL or MTL90, syncrhomesh, or Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil. Regular GL gear oil is not friendly to brass synchros and shifts poorly. An oil meant for manual transmissions works so much better.

Otherwise, I'd suspect the clutch is not fully releasing?

You can fill through the shifter as well.

And it might be worth taking the shifter apart to see what condition things are in. It is possible the shifter needs a rebuild kit. I found a rebuild kit on fleabay for mine. There is a large nylon (or some other plastic/polymer) ring/bushing/washer upon which the shifter ball pivots. That nylon piece seems to just disappear over time.

If you are going to tear into the shifter you are probably going to need to replace the rubber boots. There are three of them if you include the shift boot which is in the console. The one that attaches to the transmission tunnel seems discontinued for XJs, but the TJ version seems to work. The one that attaches to the transmission should come with the shifter rebuild kit.

I'm gonna bet your clutch hydraulic system is leaking either up under the dash at the top of the pedal or from the slave cylinder at the transmission.

How's your clutch master cylinder fluid level and condition?

Back