• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need gear help (fast)

massxj said:
anyone? just need to know if i can close this thing up or not.
In my opinion, you need to remove some shim from the pinion. But then, I'm no BC :D. Best to wait for a second opinion.

Okie Terry said:
In my opinion, you need to remove some shim from the pinion. But then, I'm no BC :D. Best to wait for a second opinion.

Agreed I would remove a shim and run the pattern again.

when i had less shim it was too close to the toe. why do you think i should pull some out remember this is my first gearset

The pinion is to deep in the gear and it doesnt look like your getting good contact. If it goes to shallow than you need to remove a thinner shim. Or change the shims your using.

first you need to move .003" worth of shim from the left bearing to hte right bearing. .005" is a bit tight for my prefferences and .003 should set your backlash right at .007". then check your pattern. also you don't need to slather 10 gearteeth to get the pattern. just do 3 teeth. also if you have a pic of the marks that are what I call "residual pattern". this is where you apply the marking compound to three teeth, then turn the rign gear through the pinion; as the pinion goes by it picks up some of the yellow and re-applies it other teeth on the ring gear.
in the pics your marks on the drive side show a very decent pattern that many shops would call it good. the coast side indicates more obviously what would appear to be a too deep pinion. but I just don't like a .005" backlash.
so based solely on the pattern I would say that you need to take no more than 2-3" of pinion shims out.

thanks ill try to get to that today . is it ok to have the pattern that close to the toe i added 3 thou to the pinion at that is what i got .i was trying to move it to the middle of the tooth. thanks again

Last edited:
just finished moving things around and it looks better( i think)

ill try to post pics later

thank you for the help

Beezil said:
what the hell do you concur, you couldn't assemble a 16 piece jigsaw puzzle.
If I agree with smart people it will automatically make me seem smarter to everyone else.

Back