• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need cooling advise...

I've never seen over 210 on my dash. The 230 is from the ECM. Where do you get your temp?

And just to stop the next thirty posts about servicing your cooling system I'll say that we should assume that all these trucks have clean systems. Ok?

I took mine from a digital thermal readout of my actual water temperature just at the radiator cap... But typically I read from the guage cluster.

Ill assume nothing , just because I maintain my vehicle well doesn't mean anyone else does...

I suggest you run an auxilary cooler for the trans and not run it through the radiator. Also if you change to waterless coolant (Evans is one brand) you will have almost no chance of boil over. This is assuming the rest of your system is all functioning properly. You must have a clean cooling system and a fan clutch that moves the most air (ZJ). Also you should run the stock temp 195* thermostat.

that is not a good idea.

running it through the aux cooler is, but it should also be run in the radiator.
I suppose that is a matter of opinion. Given the OP's location I don't think there is any danger of running the tranny too cool. I have run only a trans cooler for years and it works great for me.

Hey guys, I found this article and did this to mine but cant tell you anything about it yet as this will be the first summer ill be running it. I come home in June 2nd to the 17th I think and then again in Oct to Moab for the 30th Anniversary event. So I wont be able to give any info till then. But its a great article and shows heat levels and what your oil breaks down at for your tranny. http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...utomatic_transmission_temperature_monitoring/

I took mine from a digital thermal readout of my actual water temperature just at the radiator cap... But typically I read from the guage cluster.

Ill assume nothing , just because I maintain my vehicle well doesn't mean anyone else does...

I've confirmed mine at the tstat housing with a IR gun. MY cooling system is tight, but that doesn't mean there aren't other problems. (gearing and clogged precats are my next guess.)

My point being that even with a pristine and well designed cooling system that other factors can cause overheating. Which seems to be a point that is often overlooked in these cooling threads.

Inappropriate gearing for your tires and driving habits, blocking the radiator (bog ole winch and lights), bad O2 sensors, clogged cats or anything that can cause that under powered I6 to work harder than it should and generate more heat.

So just saying "you still have some sort of cooling issues" is not entirely accurate.

Again, I'm just trying to point out things that seem to be overlooked in these threads so to encourage the OP and others to think about what makes these things heat up.

And yeah, we can't assume anything. I'll back that statement up and retract mine. ;)

:roll:

Last edited:
Back