• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need cooling advise...

Are the champion/AE rads available now? I needed a rad a few months back and bought a CSF 3 row, and like the one I got for my last XJ, I'm disappointed with it.

No, they do not make an "HD" fan for an xj, you ask for a 97 zj fan, not the "max cool" just the normal heavy duty fan clutch

Idk that the "severe duty" clutch from their heavy duty package will fit an XJ I just got the heavy duty clutch from their normal 4.0 motor and it's better in my opinion

I've read that upgrading to the ZJ fan clutch reduces horsepower in our XJ's (although it is beefier). I can't provide proof off that of course - I just have it in my notes from my numerous searches on how to improve the cooling system.

I've read that upgrading to the ZJ fan clutch reduces horsepower in our XJ's (although it is beefier). I can't provide proof off that of course - I just have it in my notes from my numerous searches on how to improve the cooling system.

Lol, so you would rather overheat vs lose 3-4hp off a fan clutch that doubles your cooling?! Figure this... A standard fan clutch spins at about 30-40% of the engine rpm, the HD is 60-70%, when you get on the throttle you can hear the fan engage and make some noise, it's kinda cool :)

New single row alum radiator, new hoses, new pump, new t-stat and fan upgrade

This is normal operating temps, on the trail ill climb to 210, turn on my E-fan and it will drop back to where it is in the pic
FA8877A7-D722-4278-8D3F-94BDDC51EC13-1470-000000A19080EB53_zps6a57e858.jpg

Last edited:
I went batshit crazy and installed a CSF 3 row (tried and true) and a Dirtbound Triple Threat Efan kit.

So far so good. The fan kit freed up a bit of HP. The radiator performs exactly as it should.

With as many different engine, suspension, tire, gearing, weight configurations as their are XJ's it's hard to pin down one fix all for overheating issues. What worked for one person may not work for you. I decided on my set up because with other, similarly outfitted, XJ's it seemed to work.

Of course, I hear a set of Lebaron vents will solve any overheating issue.

Oh, and for what it's worth, when I'm trail riding or in traffic or on the highway I rarely see 210*.

BUT, when I'm on a long pull (I live at the top of a 7% grade) in warm weather, my temp will climb to 230*. No amount of cooling system upgrades will fix that until I fix my 31" tire 3.55 gear combo on my XJ with all the extra weight. I'm just working the engine too hard.

Oh, and for what it's worth, when I'm trail riding or in traffic or on the highway I rarely see 210*.

BUT, when I'm on a long pull (I live at the top of a 7% grade) in warm weather, my temp will climb to 230*. No amount of cooling system upgrades will fix that until I fix my 31" tire 3.55 gear combo on my XJ with all the extra weight. I'm just working the engine too hard.

What's my excuse? I have an 89 upgraded to a single row open cooling with 33's and 3.55's and rarely see past 210, terrain doesn't matter, it just flat out hasnt exceeded 220... You still have some sort of cooling issue...

What's my excuse? I have an 89 upgraded to a single row open cooling with 33's and 3.55's and rarely see past 210, terrain doesn't matter, it just flat out hasnt exceeded 220... You still have some sort of cooling issue...

You're running 3.55s and 33s?

You shouldn't be giving any advice or voicing any opinions.

Lol cute... Your going to have to give everyone your expert opinion as to why running stock gears with 33x10.50's is so horrible on the trail, because I do just great, I never have any issues for being under geared on the trail, now on the street going up a steep hill... It's a dog, but it's a trailer jeep now what do I care?

why not? i ran 3.55's and 33's at one point never had any over heating issues with the new england hills in the summer or with slow crawling

I have ran a STOCK closed system in my 89.I had it serviced at a SHOP and now i only run at the high end of 195.I would say it is 193 but i don't have them little numbers on my gauge.Sorry. Now during the summer when i am running around out here in this desert(105 to115) i am still at this same temp, must be something wrong with a STOCK system.This is with my AC cranked on and half doors too.:)
Best money i have ever spent was going to a radiator shop to have my stuff serviced.This is something a old guy does, we don't like chasing our tails when working on these jeeps cooling systems.

Did this for 5 years in the desert and NEVER over heated my jeep.Plus i never had trouble crawling my jeep, sure it does better now locked and 488's.But i didn't have a over heating problem with it.Maybe you shouldn't voice your opinion. :cheers:

Running an automatic with stock axle gearing and big tires isn't helping your cooling system. I'm not saying it's a guarantee you are going to over heat.

I ran 33s and 3.55s for about a week, and I didn't overheat either. It was miserable though, so I don't know why you would subject yourself to that for 5 years.

If i had your money i would burn mine. That was easy wasn't it. It didn't hurt me at all running this setup for all them years with my OLD 89 with a auto.Shit i am doing it now in the wives jeep till i can have the extra cash to burn.

Re: Re: Need cooling advise...

I've never seen over 210 on my dash. The 230 is from the ECM. Where do you get your temp?

And just to stop the next thirty posts about servicing your cooling system I'll say that we should assume that all these trucks have clean systems. Ok?

Last edited:
Back