• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj camping trailer

there was no way we could of saved the XJ it was to badly damaged to pass any roadworthy in Australia even with a good welder....

all the good bit were put on to another blue XJ a 2000 classic

018.jpg

LOL, you know I was sitting here saying that the front steering and axle look weird. Stared at it for like 20 minutes. Then it finally struck me that, you're in AU. which means steering wheel on theright side of the car! Man that was buggin me!

there was no way we could of saved the XJ it was to badly damaged to pass any roadworthy in Australia even with a good welder....

all the good bit were put on to another blue XJ a 2000 classic

You know I have a cousin in Cairns QL. and the major thing I've been surprised about AU is that for a country that was started by prisoners, how many rights you folks give up...i.e gun laws, hunting laws, vehical restrictions, etc.
Why as I understand it even though your being over run by roo's you can't even eat as many as you want......so how did such a tough and tumble group let the government take over to this degree...I just heard from Sven you can't drive LH autos there. I don't know it just seems like a mystery to me.

Very cool trailer, nice write-up and pics on the build.

IIRC, much of Australia's government is set up with the modern British (post-monarchy) as the template. It just came naturally I suppose to adopt many of their laws and regulations. It is a shame though that a country so large and with such an image of open spaces and freedom has so many restrictive laws regarding personal freedoms.

Man why would you cut this jeep up when there are so many junk XJ's to cut.
Even if it wouldn't pass in Europe, I'm sure it would pass in AU. w/ a little roof repair.......What a waste of a xtraordinary rig!

And as to the looks....its okay if you want that sheep herder look....A nice roof top tent would have done it for camping space.

There are 1000's of XJ's in the USA who look just like yours....

Geeez something special to something plain....nice job..... :cry: :(

O its got to be easy....just go buy the coolest toughest XJ you've ever seen and cut the crap out of.....voila sheep herders trailer.....:dunno:

Dude STFU!

You dug up a thread that no one has responded to in almost a year to talk sh*t to the guy for his awesome fab work?

The owner of the XXXpdeition XJ new the thing was trashed, thats why he scrapped it. The Jeep would have gone to the boneyard and wasted away. Kyro new this, and gave it new life as an offroad trailer, so that it could live on in the offroad world. And he did a damn nice job of it too.

His Jeep looks extremely nice, and is well built. Its an expedition rig, and it looks like it is nicely equiped, especially with that new trailer. I'm pretty sure there aren't "1000's of XJ's" that look like his in the US. Just because you don't like it, deal with it. Don't sit there and call it a "sheap hearder's trailer" and tell him he wrecked something amazing. The XXXpedition XJ was an expedition rig; it was built for just that. It doesn't make it the toughest rig ever. There are plenty of tougher XJ's out there.

Go back to wondering why people cover their license plates...

@kyro. Nice looking Jeep you have. Very nice job making the trailer.

The owner of the XXXpdeition XJ new the thing was trashed, thats why he scrapped it. The Jeep would have gone to the boneyard and wasted away. Kyro new this, and gave it new life as an offroad trailer, so that it could live on in the offroad world. And he did a damn nice job of it too.

Exactly. Sven had already repaired the Jeep for the same issue prior to this trip to AUS. Doesnt make sense to transport the rig back home in a container and attempt repairs again. The group of wheelers he met there were kind enough to give him what they both agreed was a fair price for the rig. Everyone won in this situation.

:peace:

Nice rig, good info. Thanks!
Ignore the party pooping naysayers! Some folks need to get a life...

I dug up this because i just found out it was cut up...I had been wanting to know what happened to it for some time (expecting to see it fixed up and better then ever) and googled it not expecting to find it on NAXJA, but rather in AU.
If Sven had been returning to USA he wouldn't have had any problem fixing it to snuff in the USA.....the XJ was only trash cause of country regs such as AU and Euro countries like Germany.

In my opinion "Project Olive Drab" is a much more creative and comfortable use of an XJ for expedition use then turning the bucket end of an exceptional Jeep into a double bed w/ limo tint side doors.

thanks guys !!

i no longer have the trailer and sold it to one of the members in our club ans they have looked after it and also improved it some i'll grab a pic of it now looks great
has a camo paint job now

here we go

cammocamper_005.jpg

cammocamper_001.jpg

cammocamper_004.jpg

also has solar fan in roof to keep it cool in summer and a pop top sky light
and has a jeep tent that goes off the back door

I dug up this because i just found out it was cut up...I had been wanting to know what happened to it for some time (expecting to see it fixed up and better then ever) and googled it not expecting to find it on NAXJA, but rather in AU.
If Sven had been returning to USA he wouldn't have had any problem fixing it to snuff in the USA.....the XJ was only trash cause of country regs such as AU and Euro countries like Germany.

In my opinion "Project Olive Drab" is a much more creative and comfortable use of an XJ for expedition use then turning the bucket end of an exceptional Jeep into a double bed w/ limo tint side doors.
NOMINATED

It's an XJ, there's 1,000,000's of em on the roads here in America. He bought one in Australia, that yes, was a cool rig and had a cool history, but it was just an XJ. No different than anything any of us could build if we had the time and money. It was trashed, and yes maybe it could've been shipped back here and fixed and made street legal again, but why? For the cost of shipping it back, only to fix it again, it makes no sense. Remember, kyro didn't trick them into giving it away or come upon owenrship in an unscrupulous manner, it was sold to him, meaning the prior owners decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Are you gonna go find them on Expedition Portal and yell at them or spending hundreds on getting it home and then thousands on getting it fixed?
And then to start bashing someone's country because you don't like how he built his trailer? Get a life Dog.

NOMINATED

It's an XJ, there's 1,000,000's of em on the roads here in America. He bought one in Australia, that yes, was a cool rig and had a cool history, but it was just an XJ. No different than anything any of us could build if we had the time and money. It was trashed, and yes maybe it could've been shipped back here and fixed and made street legal again, but why? For the cost of shipping it back, only to fix it again, it makes no sense. Remember, kyro didn't trick them into giving it away or come upon owenrship in an unscrupulous manner, it was sold to him, meaning the prior owners decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Are you gonna go find them on Expedition Portal and yell at them or spending hundreds on getting it home and then thousands on getting it fixed?
And then to start bashing someone's country because you don't like how he built his trailer? Get a life Dog.

+1

My Momma taught me that if I didn't some thing nice to say STFU!

hey puppy, go crawl back under your rock and stay there

Glad I'm in the USA

How do you know? Have you been anywhere? Don't believe all the "Rah, Rah! We're number one!" propaganda. There are cool places outside of where you are.

Man why would you cut this jeep up when there are so many junk XJ's to cut.
Even if it wouldn't pass in Europe, I'm sure it would pass in AU. w/ a little roof repair.......What a waste of a xtraordinary rig!

And as to the looks....its okay if you want that sheep herder look....A nice roof top tent would have done it for camping space.

There are 1000's of XJ's in the USA who look just like yours....

Geeez something special to something plain....nice job..... :cry: :(

Dude that Jeep has been around the Block a few times. The only thing that is gonna waste that rig is to junk it and start over! Maybe he used the trailer as a way to still use his well worn Jeep for many more thousands of miles. Who cares if his rig looks like thousands here. He lives in Australia and its his Jeep he can do what he wants!!!!!!

edit: didn't realize Kyro wasn't the original owner of the XXXpeditionXJ

Last edited:
Back