• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj camping trailer

Damn NAXJA never ceases to amaze me. I was driving around today with my XJ's cargo area full of tools rubbing against the leather seats; Thinking I need to buy a small trailer. When it hit me that I could chop the front off of a 2 door I have that's mostly parted out. I got home and told the Wife my idea (she pretended to be interested, she's sweet like that) and then I thought... bet someone on NAXJA has already done it... Sure enough.

I've got a couple questions, did you do anything special with the axle? Did you just disconnect the drive shaft and leave the pinion yolk spinning? I have an 8.25 on the 2 door that'll get chopped. Besides lifting it to match my 94 I'm not thinking I'll need to do much to it.

Has anyone seen one of these trailers with the roof chopped? To make it an open trailer? I know an MJ bed would pretty much accomplish that with a lot less fabrication; But I've got the 2 dr, an MJ bed would cost me more than I want to spend on a home made trailer. So my current decision is Open 2dr with chopped roof or leave it and have covered lockable space with a roof rack for longer items...

Anyone know anything about titling a home made trailer in Virginia?

this is a awesome thread , i love this little trailer , i have a mj box with a cap that i have been wanting to make into a trailer for a while . this idea serves to have more space .i like the idea to put a hatch on both sides so youll have access to both ends . you should check out some wreckers and see if they have any wrecked conversion vans , then you can get a fold down bed that can be used as a couch , sink , heater , ac ,window shades ect . even run a spare battery , inverter , solar pannels ... the list goes on and on .. i think i am going to be busy for the next few weeks ..lol

1bolt said:
Damn NAXJA never ceases to amaze me. I was driving around today with my XJ's cargo area full of tools rubbing against the leather seats; Thinking I need to buy a small trailer. When it hit me that I could chop the front off of a 2 door I have that's mostly parted out. I got home and told the Wife my idea (she pretended to be interested, she's sweet like that) and then I thought... bet someone on NAXJA has already done it... Sure enough.

I've got a couple questions, did you do anything special with the axle? Did you just disconnect the drive shaft and leave the pinion yolk spinning? I have an 8.25 on the 2 door that'll get chopped. Besides lifting it to match my 94 I'm not thinking I'll need to do much to it.

Has anyone seen one of these trailers with the roof chopped? To make it an open trailer? I know an MJ bed would pretty much accomplish that with a lot less fabrication; But I've got the 2 dr, an MJ bed would cost me more than I want to spend on a home made trailer. So my current decision is Open 2dr with chopped roof or leave it and have covered lockable space with a roof rack for longer items...

Anyone know anything about titling a home made trailer in Virginia?

i think time and materials would add up quickly to more than the easy to get $500 non runner MJ. Then part it out and the bed and rear frame ends up being "free to you". Dont be stubborn! They already made what you wanted fromthe factory and it has depreciated for 20 years. Now just get on craiglist,local classifieds, and cruise the junkyards for an old non runner MJ. Post a wanted ad for a non runner or $500 ish MJ on craigs list. If your near a major metro area there has GOT to be folks with one rotting in the yard they would love you to come take for hella cheap.

Gitter done.

Heh, hate to be a wet blanket, but did anyone else notice it appears he's welding with no protection, whatsoever? No hood, glasses, gloves, short sleeves and shorts? I may have missed something in the photo, but if i didn't, one of two things are happening: 1. Someone woke up with a sunburn, headache and eyes that felt like a beach or 2. you are a MANS MAN. Hahaha, either way, very nice rig and trailer man, keep it up! :)

Yeah I guess I'm just using the added cost as an excuse, I've parted enough Jeeps that I should know better. The 2 door is just sitting there waiting to have the axles pulled before it's sold for scrap, it's made me over $2000 in "jeep funds" and there's a couple hundred left on it in axles and misc engine bay left overs. It only cost me $125 (long story involving the seller not coming up with the title, and a credit card charge reversal so I only paid the shipper)

Last night at some point I think I decided on going the simple lockable enclosed trailer direction. Like you said I can always get an MJ bed for an open trailer.

I just have to figure out how to make the side windows swing up like a truck topper. And some sort of creative cheap front hatch or window. I don't want a full size XJ hatch on the front too booty fab IMO. I want this thing to look slick. Matching paint scheme, matching lift, 33" tires on matching wheels, tool box on the draw bar, maybe some tool boxes built into the interior cavities.

Just a pic from last weekend trip out not a had trail pic but it is dusty

normal_lcmp_07_07_047.jpg

kyro said:
Hey guys just sharing some pics of my latest mod well kind of anyways.
you will know this xj from many pics
normal_on_the_way_to_coffs.jpg

That's a brilliant idea! Great for those long trips into the outback but needs a fridge to keep the beers cool. :D

any more pics?

Hey Kyro, amazing job, cant wait to do this myself. Any reason for the tongue being so long? In that second last pic it seems really long, just curious. I am also interested in where exactly you welded the tongue to the frame, any close ups of that? Looks great man!

hey guys will grab a few more pics on the weekend for ya not much has changed..yet been to lazy

the drawbar was made a bit longer to hold the fridge and the 33" tyres and gas bottle which i still have not done yet i just been strapping the tyre on hehe...

but it has held up really well done a few 6 hours drives and heaps of campin trips with no sign of any probs..

the drawbars are welded to the section on the chassis rails where the rear springs mount

On that pic with the trailer on the trail it looks like theres a lot of articulation. Is there any system that is the best for a trailer on a trail as far as a hitch goes. Is there a chance of twisting the receiver off the ball or is there a better option? Just curious.

A rotating lunette (ring) and pintle hook is best. Either the pintle or lunette should be able to rotate 360 degrees (doesn't need to be both).

See this, this is my M416. The pintle hook is mounted solid and the lunette ring will rotate (it's a shaft held only with that single BIG nut on the end opposite the hook).

IMG_0088.jpg

trek hitches are nice, but unfortunately they are not legal in the states.

jeepcomj said:
trek hitches are nice, but unfortunately they are not legal in the states.
Interesting.

Anyone know why?

Root Moose said:
Interesting.

Anyone know why?

yep.

the center block in the trek hitch is prone to going bad (it wears down with use as it IS the moving part)

while the bolts cross over each other so that if the block fails there's some sort of catch there, they're not quite enough to keep the trailer on the road at speed (should the block deteriorate etc.). also they may not hold up to the weight/stress.

of course, those are just the reasons they offer.

properly maintained, there isn't a darn thing wrong with them...they're great hitches and a great design but like everything, there are idiots in the world who think "i can get by for just one more day...." and then it fails because of their neglect, and that nice family driving down the road gets a trailer through their windshield....

Back