• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj camping trailer

"actively involved" my advice is get a MJ cut the back off the cab so you can have a slider window & a bulk head, mate to XJ, short the MJ bed to match wheel base (nice time to decide wheel base huh?), O hey you get a tail gate w/ that and a floor to the bed and tail lights:

Huh, an MJ from the cab forward, mated to an XJ mid-body, with the MJ bed grafted to the back. That'd make about a 150-170-ish wheelbase, have a huge cab area, and be the coolest "Franken-XMJ" thing ever.

Somebody photo-shop this for us, I want to get a good visual.:D

Huh, an MJ from the cab forward, mated to an XJ mid-body, with the MJ bed grafted to the back. That'd make about a 150-170-ish wheelbase, have a huge cab area, and be the coolest "Franken-XMJ" thing ever.

Somebody photo-shop this for us, I want to get a good visual.:D

Actually I meant just the last 6" or so....but I never thought about taking it from the windshield ....sort of a extended crewcab ( it might look like a small hummer)....maybe skip the bed to keep under limo length.....ok something good might come out of this....Have to buy a few rigs so we can practice...:dunno:

If done properly, it'd be absolutely pimp. A stretch-Hummer-Limo looking XMJ with a full bed. Throw a V8 and some bigger axles in it and it'd be the coolest tow rig ever.

If done properly, it'd be absolutely pimp. A stretch-Hummer-Limo looking XMJ with a full bed. Throw a V8 and some bigger axles in it and it'd be the coolest tow rig ever.

New thread? who's got Photo Shop? Ya know we could put a bed in the back! Some storage units, lots o batts under the bed w/ solar on the hood.
Ya gotta admit...its better than a trailer.....Might get 2 tents on the roof rack!
Sorry again to 5sp_xj Geeeez. When I was young I was an A$$ just like you guys...middle age...pretty nice....now...A$$ again.....Maybe thats what they really mean by what comes around........

"actively involved" I think I am more then 'involved', not like your count is way up there dude. I also dislike the word ignorant....very close to the non PC word retard, how would you like me to refer to you. I have also read and watched everything about the xxxpedition rig and I very much admire not only their adventures but the build of the XJ, not to mention the new build, which is constantly being stonewalled by Euro. certifications. I know quite a bit about expedition style builds, thats why I so admire Overland XJ (buy ya a 'good' Scotch if we ever meet!:shhh:) I never called anyone stupid or ignorant, I did refer to their bad taste and lack of esthetic ( http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/esthetic )
And to this end I still think a sheep herders trailer is just that. I have seen many decent trailer builds but to give him a 3 thumbs up for a very ordinary thing is a bit much.

There are tens of thousands grade A XJs out there maybe we should just put a nickle deposit on em.....If you had to chop a car to practice a chop, so be it....but my advice is get a MJ cut the back off the cab so you can have a slider window & a bulk head, mate to XJ, short the MJ bed to match wheel base (nice time to decide wheel base huh?), O hey you get a tail gate w/ that and a floor to the bed and tail lights.....OOOO....cool. wow might want to practice that.
Won't be buying you a beer if we meet (probably would if truth be said...yellow beer tho)
To 5sp_XJ I'm sorry....I said I'd stop...I apologize....good Micro Brew for you my friend and more then one...Hope to get out your way next year.:sunshine:
Too many people have the MJ cab back half and the rear Cherokee hatch back half’s. + I don’t like that look or how it functions, but im not knocking it. My shits unique. You see me mob'en down the trail you know dam well its my Jeep. Definitely one of a kind (Steve Hammiltons Bertha XJ and Vettboys rigs are the closest thing to mine).
13.jpg

Too many people have the MJ cab back half and the rear Cherokee hatch back half’s. + I don’t like that look or how it functions, but im not knocking it. My shits unique. You see me mob'en down the trail you know dam well its my Jeep. Definitely one of a kind (Steve Hammiltons Bertha XJ and Vettboys rigs are the closest thing to mine).

well I have to say I like it....I might of gone all the way w/ an old army style ragtop, but still its nice....what led you down the path of the sawzall?

chopping an MJ back half is blasphemous unless it's too rusted out to repair.

comanches are rare. now if this argument were over wrecking an MJ to build a trailer, there would be a fundamentally acceptable reason to argue it....there are less than 300,000 MJ's out there (that's if EVERY single one still exists). there are millions of cherokees.

and yes, you're being ignorant over the subject. YOUR opinions are not everyone's bag.

as for a "stretch" MJ, it's been done.

chopping an MJ back half is blasphemous unless it's too rusted out to repair.

comanches are rare. now if this argument were over wrecking an MJ to build a trailer, there would be a fundamentally acceptable reason to argue it....there are less than 300,000 MJ's out there (that's if EVERY single one still exists). there are millions of cherokees.

and yes, you're being ignorant over the subject. YOUR opinions are not everyone's bag.

as for a "stretch" MJ, it's been done.

O its serious when its something you like! :kissyou: some folks may think.... boy its just another pickup truck...who cares.

I like cherokees just as much as comanches.

the difference is, the comanche is rare. you don't see them often.

and actually, most people look at them like "WTF is that? they made a pickup?)

the difference is, the comanche is rare. you don't see them often.

and actually, most people look at them like "WTF is that? they made a pickup?)

Agreed, I get more double takes in my MJ than I ever did in my old XJ!

I would also have a hard time cutting up an MJ that's in decent shape. However I do plan to hack up my old XJ for a trailer :) .

'zactly.

I got a RUST FREE 95 xj body I modified for wheeling...can fit 33's with no lift.l

but I don't have anything but the body (doors, hatch, all pristine glass) and clear title and vins...it is completely gutted.

I don't want to buy the parts, and no one wants the thing. so I'm chopping it.

Agreed, I get more double takes in my MJ than I ever did in my old XJ!

I would also have a hard time cutting up an MJ that's in decent shape. However I do plan to hack up my old XJ for a trailer :) .

IDK, I've seen lots of times where people knocked cutting the XJ and said to cut up the MJ instead. There are lots of MJs here in SW Oklahoma.

Personally I'd rather use the XJ for a trailer. To me the whole point is too have a trailer that matches your XJ. Same rims, tires, taillights, and glass would all match.

I love the trailer. I'm not a huge fan of the new camo, not my bag. Flat black is more my style. If I ever get to do my own, I'll have to get really expensive and somehow have the front all lined up smoothed over to make it look factory. Kyro's is a sweet trailer, But you can tell it was done at home. I'm not knocking, I just want my to look extra clean. I'm nuts like that. Even though its going to get thrashed on the trails, but I want it to start out show room clean.

I want to cut the back end completely off my XJ behind the back doors, graft on the back wall of an MJ cab to close it up, "fix" the wheel arches cut into the doors, aqnd then stick on the MJ bed, but cut down to about a 4 footer. Long enough to handle a basic workload; short enough to still be reasonably maneuverable on the trail. Basically a Comanche crew cab, done like most of the compact truck crew cabs are with the extra short bed.

I want to cut the back end completely off my XJ behind the back doors, graft on the back wall of an MJ cab to close it up, "fix" the wheel arches cut into the doors, aqnd then stick on the MJ bed, but cut down to about a 4 footer. Long enough to handle a basic workload; short enough to still be reasonably maneuverable on the trail. Basically a Comanche crew cab, done like most of the compact truck crew cabs are with the extra short bed.

The other way that I thought of 10 years or so ago now is to use two XJ rear sections joined togther like this bad photo shop of mine from back then.

UltimateT.jpg

I'm going to have to start wearing a surgical mask when I visit this thread. I'm starting to worry about catching a serious case of bad taste. :eyes:

Back