• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new XJ - the turtle

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
So after a week or so of searching for something in decent shape so I can build it up, I kind of settled on a 96 country with 270k on it.

Motor runs strong, trans works flawlessly, and so does the transfer case. Everything works on this jeep.

It needs a serious cleaning and needs some cosmetic stuff.

But it is in ok shape. Some stuff needs to be replaced, so that means times for upgrades!

Here's a picture, and where the journey begins
20140717_195710 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

Nice buy.

My favorite XJ rims.

mac 'pic looks pretty rust free too!' gyvr

So today has been eventful haha

Ordered:
- passenger side door handle
- driver seat
- new draglink
- new pitman arm tie rod end
- new adjustment sleeve
- new center console lid
- went to fabric store and got new headliner fabric

deciding on lift and shocks and tires now

thinking i'll run an RE Super Ride 3.5 with new leaf packs and 31x10.50 cooper discoverer maxx and the stock wheels with a spacer probably. going to run bilstein 5100 shocks...debating spending the money to step up to 5160s, but they probably aren't needed for what i'm doing.

Nice XJ, years before I bought my XJ, I looked at 96 Country. It might have even had the wood grain outside on it, but it has been so long, I can't remember. Credit sucked and grandparents wouldn't cosign for it. It was something about the country edition I liked.

clean rig!

Thanks!

Nice XJ, years before I bought my XJ, I looked at 96 Country. It might have even had the wood grain outside on it, but it has been so long, I can't remember. Credit sucked and grandparents wouldn't cosign for it. It was something about the country edition I liked.

This is my 2nd one. I had a 95 country for a while. It was an awesome rig. I loved it!

Oh good...just empty every pocket!

Went driving today...turned on AC and the voltage dropped hardcore.

Went to local auto place and alternator is toast. So new alternator is in the trunk and so is a valve cover gasket, because it needed it as well.

So hopefully that will take care of some maintenance. Going to also do the plugs.

Looks good. Just remember that 96 was a stand-alone year for the XJ; the last year for that body style and first year for OBDII. There are some parts that are 96 only, it would be in your best interest to find out what those are and keep a box of trail spares.

I have always liked the Country models, something about the body colored trim.

Looks good. Just remember that 96 was a stand-alone year for the XJ; the last year for that body style and first year for OBDII. There are some parts that are 96 only, it would be in your best interest to find out what those are and keep a box of trail spares.

I was unaware of that! I will check that out. Yea happy it's an OBDII car.

My new seat will be here Tuesday.

The fun parts will start rolling in shortly.

32x11.50x15s and a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride is the plan.

Will those 32s fit on the stock wheels I have?

I bought generic aluminum spacers on eBay, they weren't too expensive. It boils down to personal taste. I prefer stock wheels over most aftermarket wheels, so I bought spacers. If you like aftermarket wheels, go for it. Typically a 3.75" or 4" backspace is preferred.

Don't buy into the 'wheel spacers eat bearings' nonsense. Backspacing is backspacing, either way you are moving the weight of the wheel/tire farther out from the hub.

I bought these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Jeep-Wran...ories&fits=Model:Cherokee&hash=item3f2261dbe0

You can also get 1.5" spacers, which is more common. I wanted to keep the tires under the flares as much as possible. Stock backspacing is 5.25", so a 1.25" spacer will net 4" of BS, 1.5" = 3.75" BS.

I come from the import world, I understand and have debunked that myth many times with idiots on other forums. Offset (backspacing) doesn't matter either way.

I'll have to look around and make a decision one way or another.

I was going to bring this up in my earlier post, then I forgot.

The fuel pump is most definitely a 96 only part.

The internals under the hood are mainly 97+ stuff but the body is 96 and down parts.

The odometer is probably a stand alone part and one of the only OBD2 odometers that I know of that isn't digital.

An odd year, but an ok year.

mac 'baby jeep was a 96 country' gyvr

May want to skip the 32" tire in a 15" rim, they are a 'bit' harder to find then 31s or 33s. Now if you buy New rims get 16s, have more options.

I too like the country's, have had a few over the years.

I was unaware of that! I will check that out. Yea happy it's an OBDII car.

My new seat will be here Tuesday.

The fun parts will start rolling in shortly.

32x11.50x15s and a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride is the plan.

Will those 32s fit on the stock wheels I have?
curious to see the quality of the seat. and youll like the lift, i installed one for a friend. though there are a few things you may add down the road.

Yes, but you may need wheel spacers.
x2. id feel 100% safe wheeling/driving a 11.50 on a 7" rim. but the stockers have too much backspacing.

Ok, what is a good brand?

At the cost of 4 spacers I may be better off buying new wheels...lol

Any guidance on backspacing?
rough country sells them cheap. $120 for 4 new ones... kind of hard to beat. or you could keep an eye open on craigslist for steelies.

May want to skip the 32" tire in a 15" rim, they are a 'bit' harder to find then 31s or 33s. Now if you buy New rims get 16s, have more options.

I too like the country's, have had a few over the years.
i have no opinion on the 31vs32vs33 debate... but dont get 16" wheels. you actually have LESS options once you weed through the load ratings that are undesirable on a cherokee, and tires as a whole are just more expensive. i used to run 16" moabs... im glad i got rid of them. its my opinion that the 16 is ultimately getting phased out.

Back