• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new buggy build......

Haven't been able to work on the buggy as much as I would like too lately. Been busy working on other people's junk, and making money. However, I got the four link finished. I just gotta get my shock hoops built, and get them set up, then take the axle back out, sandblast it, paint it, and get my spool, gears, and disc brake setup installed. Should be able to have that done in the next couple days.

photo-66.jpg

photo-67.jpg

photo-68.jpg

you might want to upgrade your hardware on the links

HaHa...... figured someone would point that out. I actually have 5/8's grade 8 bolts, but the holes in the bracketry need to be drilled out a little bit bigger. I didn't realize they were only 9/16's. I plan on drilling them out tomorrow, and getting the real bolts in place. I am also planning on boxing in the truss with 14 guage plate on the front and back, and will probably also shave the bottom of the 9" for more clearance.

Some goofing off with the cherry picker. Checking for clearance, and binding.
photo-70.jpg

photo-69.jpg

I also got the front axle set in place on the frame jig, and got it cleaned up and ready to weld on the wedges. Should be able to have it all ready to go in the next couple days. Then I just need good ole Heath to bend me up some shock hoops, and it will be sitting on it's own suspension.

This thing is getting built pretty quick as far as most builds go and it looks good too. You figure out what body it is going to have yet? I vote no for the Sami...

extended ford radius arms... i am actually building some of those in my garage for a friend... so far its been a pain in the ass! but thats mostly cuz he decided to use 2.25" OD DOM with a stupid thick wall thickness

how are you determining pinion angle without the drivetrain installed?

I have done A LOT of measuring, and I know within about half an inch, where my transfer case output is going to be. So I set it up based on that. If it ends up being more off than that, I will simply adjust my upper and lower control arms to adjust the pinion angle to match.

Where is the baby seat gonna go?

Oh I have already been looking at child seats (and harnesses). Once it is done I should be able to mount the small seat right in the center behind the driver's seat.

I have done A LOT of measuring, and I know within about half an inch, where my transfer case output is going to be. So I set it up based on that. If it ends up being more off than that, I will simply adjust my upper and lower control arms to adjust the pinion angle to match.

Or just use some c-bushings that have different angle built into them. Any of the bronco places should have them in polyurethane. Im under the impression that the rubbers flex better tho.

When are you going to be up at the shop working on it again? If I can ever get in town at a decent hour Ill try and drop by.

I'll be up there tomorrow after work (til around 8 or so) if you wanna come by Kyle.

Thanks to Kyle for stopping by and lending a hand. Got the shock hoops in, and finished making my shock tabs just gotta weld them in the hoops, and the rear is done.

Pics!!

photo-75.jpg

photo-74.jpg

photo-73.jpg

Yeah they are burnt in now. I have been working on getting the front suspension setup. However, this week I plan on spending my time yanking the engine and trans out of this pesky XJ I have sitting around my shop. BTW if anyone else needs any XJ parts let me know. Mine isn't too far from being taken to the scrapyard.

Yeah got my axles all built (gears, lockers, alloy shafts), and got the engine/trans out of the XJ, and mated to my Klune D20, and working on crossmembers to get it mounted in the chassis.

Back