• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My cargo area build... lots of pics

very nice work-- I'd reconsider the tire mount, though-- no matter how strong the straps are that you're using, they're only as strong as the piano hinge mount on the lid. While it's unlikely that the entire thing would make it into the front seat, I'd hate to be in the back seat if it were to flop/roll.

very nice work-- I'd reconsider the tire mount, though-- no matter how strong the straps are that you're using, they're only as strong as the piano hinge mount on the lid. While it's unlikely that the entire thing would make it into the front seat, I'd hate to be in the back seat if it were to flop/roll.

Like I said before, this jeep was a DD more than 90% of the time, and just about never saw anything that even required 4wd. On top of that, I'm pretty confident the 10+ screws I used on each side of the hinge were more than enough to hold it. I also had latches on the front side holding that down as well.

you're money, baby?
You're so money, baby! You're so money, you don't even know it!

I don't know too many people who've seen Swingers. Much props.

And much props on both the guys who built their own enclosures. They look good!

So I pretty much stole your idea with some slight modification. I wheel my Jeep pretty hard, so I wanted the box to be pretty beefy. I'm not going to be bolting a tire to it, but it'll get jostled around quite a bit back there. Gotta make sure everything stays where it's supposed to. The structure of it is made with 3/4" MDF that I had left over from a sub box years ago, so its damn strong (and heavy lol).

Wanted to get this done before I go to the beach Thursday and drive around with the doors off. I didn't want all my stuff just sitting out in the cargo area for everyone to see and steal. I think it came out well for a rush job. I'll pull it out and coat it when I get back.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Halfway there
cargo1.jpg

All closed up
cargo2-1.jpg

Open. I screwed down the top on the left side so it'll be really strong when I put tie downs on it. I didn't think a 4" drawer would give me enough space, but I fit a crap load of stuff in there (10' tree saver, 30' tow strap, 4 D-shackles, winch controller, gloves, snatch block, first aid kit, tire patch kit, 1/2" cordless impact with extra battery and charger, shop towels, set of LCA bushings, brake cleaner and some extra random hose). Left side has jumper cables, bungee cords, ratchet straps, and my full tool bag (but made to hold spare driveshafts and axle shafts). All this crap before was in a big rubbermaid bin which took up most of my cargo area, but now I have the whole thing free and can still carry all those parts.

cargo4.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet setups guys I need to get together with my grandpa and build me something. I want mine to have provisions for spare shafts as well as hide my sub.

Sweet setups guys I need to get together with my grandpa and build me something. I want mine to have provisions for spare shafts as well as hide my sub.

I wasn't much worried about a sub (though I do have space for it like the OP made his), but I made sure that my spare driveshaft would fit in the left side section of my box. Plenty of room for spare axle shafts too if you took them apart at the u-joint.

Now I need to make a permanent mount for my CO2 tank somewhere. The ammo can fits pretty snug on the left side and the cubby hole next to it holds a quart of engine oil and gear oil perfectly. I might eventually get a quart crate from Artec and try to make a removeable mount for it so I can leave it home when not wheeling.

I wasn't much worried about a sub (though I do have space for it like the OP made his), but I made sure that my spare driveshaft would fit in the left side section of my box. Plenty of room for spare axle shafts too if you took them apart at the u-joint.

Now I need to make a permanent mount for my CO2 tank somewhere. The ammo can fits pretty snug on the left side and the cubby hole next to it holds a quart of engine oil and gear oil perfectly. I might eventually get a quart crate from Artec and try to make a removeable mount for it so I can leave it home when not wheeling.

Ha, i completely spaced that i have a marine box for my sub that i'm just gonna bolt on top of the storage box.

Back