• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My $10.00 Bombproof motor mounts

cal said:
I wouldnt trust the steel sleeve of the LCA bushing to hold the torque of the motor by itself. I cut the sleeve off of those bushings with a flat tip screwdriver and 1 pound hammer several times a year.Grab some .120 or thicker plate and wrap the bushing in it, so it doesnt rip through the sleeve when you're re lly loaded up.Or if you want to be really safe, run OEM mounts. :)
That was kind of my point!The tubing looks like .082 maybe .095 at best.Then with the "stupid" shims, that thing is a joke.The idea is sound,using JKS sleeves and at least 1/8" material would make a pretty good mount,but not how its been done here!

i hardly see the more mounts as expensive, and im very far from a rich man....
i do not want to be dicking around with this BS every other year, no matter how cheap $25 'lifetime warranty' oem crap is....
long story short.... im happy with the MORE's....

Nice idea, your welds look fine. I went with the MORE ones, was not at all happy with the amount of vibes they transferred. Fortunately, they settled in after a couple thousand miles, and it's much better now.

RCP Phx said:
That was kind of my point!The tubing looks like .082 maybe .095 at best.Then with the "stupid" shims, that thing is a joke.The idea is sound,using JKS sleeves and at least 1/8" material would make a pretty good mount,but not how its been done here!

I think Cal was referring to the HOR mounts shown above.

Have you guys ever looked at how cheesy, mickey mouse, whatever you want to label it, the passenger side UCA axle mount is on a non-disco front axle? And that is under way more stress than the motor mounts. Everything on my mount is 1/8", except the sleeve, which is gusseted underneath, and has the bushing sleeve as well. I'm fine with it. If you don't like it, don't do it, just go support the economy.

Haleyes said:
Talk about ghetto.......
getto it is! And it works. if you do not want the harsh vibrations of a solid or polyurethane mount but you want the extra stiffness this is the trick. It's a common trick amoung porsche, audi, and mercedes enthusiasts. If that is ghetto for a jeep owner and not for them thats strange. I have done this to may cars and it works fantastic. Its just a cheap trick I figurered I would share and less than $10. try it before you bash it.
"Open minds lead to masterpiece"
ferdinand porsche

fubar XJ said:
Nice idea, your welds look fine. I went with the MORE ones, was not at all happy with the amount of vibes they transferred. Fortunately, they settled in after a couple thousand miles, and it's much better now.

How do you know they settled in? Was it just that you got used to it? This is why I haven't gotten them yet. Vibes drive me nuts.

hahaha, I got polys 'yo. some vibes, whatever, chicks dig it
ce9201.jpg

Currie

My OEM driverside was far past due before a trail ride one day. Heard a flopping noise, it was my inline 6

joshv98xj said:
Anybody else running Rusty's mounts?

I have got the Rusty's. Just like the More's I had to grind the motor mount flnge a bit for proper fit. Vibes arent too bad and expected for being made of stiffer material.

I think what was made is fine. Where else does all the cool stuff that is made for XJ's come from really? From some Jeeper who makes a piece of gear who didnt want to shell out some money for a part that can be made.
How bout the guy who first added metal to the unibody to stiffen it?! Wonder if anyone said something about the unibody metal being thin and the welds wouldnt work <--- I actually heard that from a service guy at a Jeep dealership

Yeah, X2 on the dealership BS. I rear ended somebody in my XJ in '04. I took my Jeep to the dealer to fix the big stuff- pull the unibody a bit, replace the front frame crossmember, fix my driver's side LCA mount on the front axle. They took a hammer and bent the LCA back "into shape" and told me that was safer than welding on the axle. The factory welds were cracked because of the accident and their "fix" and they still wouldn't do it. I had to take it to a bonified Jeep aftermarket shop to have them fix it- they said, "Oh yeah, we can fix that- we do that all the time!"

XJSpencer said:
How do you know they settled in? Was it just that you got used to it? This is why I haven't gotten them yet. Vibes drive me nuts.

I believe they've "settled in" because the vibes are much less noticeable now, and the mounts are still intact. Not sure how they settled in, I assume the bushing softened a bit from heat and use and are no longer as firm. Either way, it's much nicer to drive around now that it's not shaking like a leaf in a typhoon at idle.

Hahaa your saying your beginner welds on those LCA bushings are beefier than Currie Enterprises unit?

fubar XJ said:
Either way, it's much nicer to drive around now that it's not shaking like a leaf in a typhoon at idle.

With the MORE poly mounts with less than 2k miles on them and a poly trans mount, mine doesn't shake at all at idle... :confused: 'Fact with the swampers on I don't notice any motor vibes at any speed.

if your jeep runs like shit, yea polys will suck. If it's well tuned, you should be fine. I barely notice any serious vibes, no passengers have ever said, golley are those poly motor mounts my ass is vibrating

Hehe, vibes can be good...... 4X4 vibrator! the ultimate add-on that will finally shut her up about the paint being patchy!

joshv98xj said:
MORE's website says that their motor mounts are rubber, not poly-
Are you sure you have poly?

Yep. Looks like they might not make them anymore though; I had to special-order them when I got mine. They only show them listed for YJ/TJ now. With the gearing and drivetrain I'm running my first priority was torque control and rigidity, especially on the driver side mount. Even more so because of the style of trans mount that I'm running.

Looks sorta like this one:

02.jpg

After wheeling with these, I'd never want to wheel anything with rubber bushings again, anywhere. Stuff just flops around too much.

Back