• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 01 xj is getting 10mpg... Help?

Here is some love for all you lifted jeep horrible gas mileage sums a .....es.... assuming you fill your tank up per week, @$50 a tank, you are spending $3700 a year to drive the pos... to get a whopping 10-15mpg. Do yourself a favor and buy a new car on the side... hell, find beater that gets 25-30mpg and have it pay its self off in 4-5 months, save the jeep for the bad weather or camping trips...

Just sayin, anything besides going stock is going to waste your time and money and still get horrible gas mileage by today's standards.

right, because that's what we're trying to solve here. The formula for how soon a second vehicle will become cost effective.

Second vehicle or not I still spend a lot of time making sure that my rig is running efficiently.

funny thing is in the past 4 years my MPG has not changed but then i cost $48 to fill it and now it is $65, wonder why that is?

@Breezio69, i own my POS so i could care less what my MPG is and i have no desire to drive something just because it gets good MPG. i laugh at and take pity on anyone in a prius.

Your wheeler/toy should never be your daily driver!

:lecture:

Everyone has a different situation. There is no One size fits all.

Guy wants better fuel mileage out of his xj its his prerogative. Lets not get hung up on what opinions people hold about fuel economy.

He's driving a brick and sees other bricks getting better fuel economy than he is. so he's looking to fix it.

Our 04 wj with the very powerful 4.7, 32's and 3 inches of lift, pulls down 18-20 mpg, regularly. So it seems crazy to me that my jeep gets 10 mpg, considering that the wj is the same weight and has WAY more power.

Does anyone know where you can buy the precats for an 01 xj? In Cali.

I can't help you there, all the stuff I would normally buy from online says not for sale or use in cali. sucks to be a Californian when it comes to smog junk.

Get used to it. That's all I can say. If you want better MPG out of an 01, sell it and buy a 99. I have never ever seen an example or heard anyone say they get better than 15 out of an 01. Most owners with a lift and taller tires I've talked to get 12-14.

Using an app called gas cubby for the last four years I've averaged 12.7 mpg in 67 tanks of fuel. I've replaced everything I can think of fuel related. Injectors, ps pumps, O2 sensors, pre cats. Last year on a 900 mile trip I pulled the front shaft, roof racks and swapped to two electric fans. Running a consistent 65 mph I got 13.7.

I don't know what they did to the 01's other than the pre-cats but something about them makes them suck fuel like no other.

Get used to it. That's all I can say. If you want better MPG out of an 01, sell it and buy a 99. I have never ever seen an example or heard anyone say they get better than 15 out of an 01. Most owners with a lift and taller tires I've talked to get 12-14.

Using an app called gas cubby for the last four years I've averaged 12.7 mpg in 67 tanks of fuel. I've replaced everything I can think of fuel related. Injectors, ps pumps, O2 sensors, pre cats. Last year on a 900 mile trip I pulled the front shaft, roof racks and swapped to two electric fans. Running a consistent 65 mph I got 13.7.

I don't know what they did to the 01's other than the pre-cats but something about them makes them suck fuel like no other.

Well you are about to hear it, I get 15 out of my lifted 99 and my Daughter gets 18 out of her 01. The fact is the ignition system in the 01 is light years ahead of the older ones, however the claim that you can go 100K miles on the plugs is complete BS. We change her plugs at 30K and we index them, now her Jeep is stock, but it does have 2500 watt stereo and a 250 amp alternator with a clutch pulley which helps MPG. So it is not apples to apples but it will get over 15 and it would if it were lifted.

right, because that's what we're trying to solve here. The formula for how soon a second vehicle will become cost effective.

Second vehicle or not I still spend a lot of time making sure that my rig is running efficiently.

This thread is about trying to figure out how to get better gas mileage, I can pretty much bet that his vehicle is running VERY near correct. As I stated earlier, id look in to the fact you did an injector swap and have no idea how they are flowing compared to stock... that said, I bet that's the only problem.

Its just a wise suggestion, and I never said anywhere in my post that your rig can't be running perfect if you own a second vehicle.

And in response to the comment about having your rig paid off.... ummm, ok, i hope everybody can afford to pay cash for a vehicle they stopped making 11 years ago. That was pointless to say.

OP have you kept a log of your mpg before this problem? what were you consistently getting before? preferably w/the exact same setup you have on your xj now.

yeah, having three Cats' might get expensive to replace, but its definitely suspect.

Yes, expensive.

The exhaust manifold is 2 cast pieces, then the 2 pre-cats form a Y pipe to connect to the single exhaust. Parts Geek shows the assembly as $207.
The down stream cat is about $160.

I know those 2 pre-cats create many issues with heat soak. I wish there was a EPA acceptable fix to replace all that inefficient heated metal with a nice tube header like earlier OBDII models. Perhaps kill 2 bird with one stone ;)

I'm not looking to achieve record mpg here. I just know that I get much less than most people.

And I can't afford a DD. Its much more than just the price of the car, but insurance, registration... And for my area, I like having the jeep. The weather gets very bad often, and it's a safe vehicle for poor weather.

What is your point about an 18 gallon tank? The size of the tank should not affect the mpg to any practical degree.

I'm not sure about the last couple of years but all previous XJs came with either a 13 gallon or 20 gallon tank. However, the physical size of the tank was the same 20 gallons. The advertised 13 gal capacity was achieved by artificially limiting the fill capacity.

My Point is that I have a 2000 XJ not different than a 2001 and my tank is 18 gallons. The thread starter stated that he had a 20 gallon tank and did his math on a 20 gallon tank hinse I think his math may be off and his jeep actually getting better mpg than he thinks. Food for thougt.

My Point is that I have a 2000 XJ not different than a 2001 and my tank is 18 gallons. The thread starter stated that he had a 20 gallon tank and did his math on a 20 gallon tank hinse I think his math may be off and his jeep actually getting better mpg than he thinks. Food for thougt.

You're right, the tank never takes a full 20 gallons. Even if it only took 16 gallons, I got 172 miles until it was nearly on fumes- 10.75 mpg. Something is critically wrong.

I can't help much, but I can tell you my 2001 5.5" on 35" tires and auto Trans gets 10mpg all year long. 12 when I go on a trip and use cruise control like 90% of the time. Also a Cali Jeep.

Oh and I have 4.56 gears as well. Question, what gears and tire size did you have stock? My speedo is also 5% off but the other way, I am actually driving less than the odometer reads due to the much lower gears.

Back