• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motorcycle helmet laws

What do you think of helmet laws?

• Total voters
dmillion...rofl

I can imagine howe handy that would be during snowbird season down here, when the hospital, police and fire department are suddenly stretched to their limits because of the sudden growth of stupid drivers in town. But as for the poll, I'd say give them helmets or give them tickets. Now before I get jumped for that, notice I'm not saying what kind of helmets. I live in southern Arizona, I can imagine just how hot it gets inside that helmet...for a while I was driving a buick whose windows were stuck in the up position(during the summer) the heat tires you quick.

Be it an open faced helmet or an enclosing one, be it just a leather vest or some body armor, bikers need armor like drivers need seat belts, and not becuse of their own stupidity. Personally I keep my eyes peeled for bikers, because I know a lot of drivers don't. They can start/stop/turn faster than the rest of us on the road and I want to make sure I'm not contributing to an accident with my inattentiveness. I'm NOT a biker, and though I was raised on bikes and around them probably never will be. But those guys have some serious balls driving where I see them driving, and not enough drivers appreciate the hazards. Yeah, it sucks when Uncle Sam tells us what to do, especially when it's uncomfortable or restrictive compared to the way we WERE doing it.

But then again, the people who care enough about the law to uphold it will just grumble and strap their helmet on, where the others will go without and *hopefully* escape any consequences.

I remember an accident on the interstate up in Oregon that I rode up to (I am an avid cross-counrty bicycler) my senior year of high school...Some guy in full leathers and a closed-faced helmet had been driving one way when a Mitsubishi had a blow-out, the driver overreacted and wound up spinning across the road to catch thie biker in the side. Total freak accident, definitely. That biker was alive when I got there, but his leathers were chewed all to hell and there was a pretty good human skid mark going across the piece of road he landed on after going flying. He was wearing a full-enclosure helmet, and it was in pieces. Looked like he'd hit his head pretty good. The ambulance arrived just a moment before I rode up. I haven't got a doubt that if that had happened to someone riding a cruiser without a helmet they would have been dead, but maybe not instantly. Motorcycle accidents, when they happen, are gruesome and not always one person's fault. The more protection they have the better.

As Marines we're required to wear reflective gear and helmets when we ride. And here on this base, where we ahve a large number of bikers (for whatever reason), that policy works great. We've had accidents, but no fatalities in at least two years. I don't suggest expanding the military's idea of driver control to civilians...that's ridiculous. But there ARE lesons to be learned from it.

lost1 said:
But then again, the people who care enough about the law to uphold it will just grumble and strap their helmet on, where the others will go without and *hopefully* escape any consequences.

Ever hear of civil disobedience? Practice it every day when I ride without the helmet in a state requiring it. Our law is wrote so incompetently that I could wear a baseball cap and most likely get off. Actually, I do. It requires "safety headgear" rather than a helmet. It also says the headgear must meet the Directors (Director of Revenue altho it isn't plain it means that person) standards and the Director refuses to lists his/her standards as that would leave the state open to a lawsuit. I mean if they clear a helmet and someone dies wearing that helmet it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Most helmet laws are actually so incredibly vaguely wrote as to allow you to slide it if you wish to fight it.

lost1 said:
As Marines we're required to wear reflective gear and helmets when we ride. And here on this base, where we ahve a large number of bikers (for whatever reason), that policy works great. We've had accidents, but no fatalities in at least two years. I don't suggest expanding the military's idea of driver control to civilians...that's ridiculous. But there ARE lesons to be learned from it.

Not true. The accident/fatality rate is the same for the military as it is for the civies who ride without the same gear.

Sarge

It really is very, very simple: People who ride without a helmet are stupid, and people who think it is the government's job to protect us all from ourselves are ALSO stupid.

sarge, where was THAT rating? I can guarantee you its across the board and not local though...wahtever the CO did he did it right. NO one has died from motorcycle accidents in over two years here, though there have been a few scattered accidents. And you're right; there will always be a way aroud the law, because our civil leadres ahve to have a way out. I know what you're talking about w/ the 'headgear' wording too, its in this state as well as many others. So yeah, I sure have heard of civil disobedience. What sucks is that often when someone does wish to sue they turn to individuals involved instead of the government, which has the resources to deal with what would probably be more of a frustration on the claimant's part.

It boils down to this guys. Are we really a free society if undesirable behaviors, but not harmful (to others) are deemed illegal. Driving around w/o a seatbelt used to equal stupid. Now driving without a seatbelt = a CRIME. The same goes for riding w/o a helmet (and one that actually offers some protection of the head). Dumb, but CRIMINAL behavior? Come on. Helmets, seat belts and airbags (even on Jeeps) are a good idea. Theres a 100% chance my dad would be dead today if he wasn't belted in at 65mph a few years ago. But thats just good judgement. We don't need to criminalize stupidity. Taxing the stupid, now theres a good idea ;)

Speaking of which couple days ago I saw a rinder on some sport bike get tboned by a ranger turning left. Watched his head skid on the pavement, I stopped the Jeep, helped him up and helped lift the bike. He had a good helmet though and was ok. Could have been ugly though if he wasn't properly equipped. Thats for another thread though, (built) RANGER DRIVERS! Why is it that every punk @$$ kid driver who thinks hes hot shizzle is behind the wheel of one.:(

lost1 said:
sarge, where was THAT rating? I can guarantee you its across the board and not local though...wahtever the CO did he did it right.

It's across the board. Every base requires that exact same equipment of their motorcycle riders. Some may not press as hard on it but it is required everywhere. Plenty of military riders still get hit or have a left turner turn in front of them with the exact same comment, "I didn't see him". BTW that comment in Japan gets the car driver an automatic guilty.

Sarge

Sarge said:
What was that? Oh, the sound of a closed mind.

Nope. Offer some NEW information or some NEW arguments and I will be more than happy to listen. As long as all I hear is the same old stuff then you're not going to change my mind.

That would REALLY be the very definition of stupid: you hear the same old argument for the umpteenth time and THIS time you decide to change your mind.

Sheesh!

bajacalal said:
It boils down to this guys. Are we really a free society if undesirable behaviors, but not harmful (to others) are deemed illegal. Driving around w/o a seatbelt used to equal stupid. Now driving without a seatbelt = a CRIME. The same goes for riding w/o a helmet (and one that actually offers some protection of the head). Dumb, but CRIMINAL behavior?
Just to nitpick...its actually a civil offense rather than a criminal offense...;)

I think helmet LAWS are a great service to the driving public in that they keep those too (what's the PC term...) SPECIAL to realize the benifit of a helmet driving something too light to do *real* damage!

dmillion said:
Nope. Offer some NEW information or some NEW arguments and I will be more than happy to listen. As long as all I hear is the same old stuff then you're not going to change my mind.

That would REALLY be the very definition of stupid: you hear the same old argument for the umpteenth time and THIS time you decide to change your mind.

Sheesh!

Some people, care enough, about other people, to want to protect them from themselves.
I remember the pain I went through, after waking up from my coma. People forget, head injuries don´t really get much in the way of pain killers, you just lay there and suffer for weeks or months. It is serious torment. Throwing up blood through the wires holding your jaw together, the broken bones are bad enough, shattered ribs REALLY hurt, the broken ends rubbing together with every breath, you lay there for weeks panting from the agony. Try throwing your guts up, with broken ribs and no pain killers. Just shoot me and put me out of my misery. Try walking to the corner market, when you get out of the hospital and start crying because you can´t remember the way home.
Smack your head in the right spot on a guard rail, even with a helmut your probably gonna die, I saw a guy put his foot peg through his helmut, saw a girl just fall over sideways, onto a guard rail with her helmut on and she died.
But heck dumbass, at least give yourself a chance.
Saw a guy fall off of his bike at like 15 MPH, went down on his knees, his elbows and his forehead, You could see his knee caps, his elbow bones and a ring of skull about 4 inches around.
There comes a time, when reason must prevail, no matter what the damned arguement.

Last edited:
Back