• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MORE GROUND CLEARANCE!

I would make a bolt on cover that seals the tank off from the interior for safety reasons. Adding an removable access panel for the pump/sender would also be a nice addition. The cover would allow you to use the back for storage because it will create a raised floor, right now I wouldn't want to put anything back there. It would add some structural value back to the body as would adding a nice HD skidplate. You could also incorporate some storage areas for spare axles, tools, a hi-lift jack/recovery equipment and other misc items around the tank cover. Two 5lb fire extingushers, one mounted in back and one up by the driver would also be a smart addition. The fuel filler area by the gas cap should be completely sealed off from the interior also.

I'm planning on doing this but with 1.5" lift shackles the springs sit 3" lower so the ground clearance gain is less then you have by the springs. I'm also mounting my rear shocks on my spring plates and going threw the floor with them and will be adding crossmembers for them which will kill my storage space anyways. The rollcage will also kill some storage area. Safety first.

A nice HD bumper would also increase the safety factor.

It's a nice modifcation, but needs to be completed for safety issues IMO...

TNT is right. Dont just slap it in the back and call it a day. Mine is an open back and I still closed it up for safety. I also have plenty of fire extinguishers around. I also copmletely agree with those saying that you STILL need a skid plate. Rocks are big, dont puncture your tank. I used a stock skid and welded it into the hole I cut in the floor. I then built a frame up around it and skinned it. Easy to do, lots more safety. I also covered mine with a tool box for storage. Hope this helps...
Hole in the floor.
2b6240e0.jpg

Frame around it.
97a44b51.jpg

Frame around the fillers.
4b3e458b.jpg

Skinned
5b192fa2.jpg

Storage box
b5d9e88f.jpg

Ground clearance
45d44b98.jpg

Also, put some grommets or something to prevent chafing around those fuel pump lines where they go thru the floor.

Jeff

Back