• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More craking issues(and other junk).

you know, i still dont get how the doors can provide that much structural integrity. and that really doesnt help the problem at all, Ecksjay. thanks for your input though.

XTurboJ:

you can't just plate over a crack, it will continue to grow out from both ends. drill a hole in both ends of the crack, weld it up, then plate over it.

you know, i still dont get how the doors can provide that much structural integrity. and that really doesnt help the problem at all, Ecksjay. thanks for your input though.
I think it has more to do with the fact that people think that they are more badass without doors so they push their junk much harder.

More like 6 years but it did not turn out well...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I honestly hardly ever wheeled it in the last six years.
Is it bad when you have rock rash on your dash?
standard.jpg

:dunno:

Hey at least he searched hell he went through 6 years worth of post my hats off to you:guitar::geek::lecture:

I knew that i had seen something similar to what i was experiencing. I was intent on finding it.

@GrimmJeeper,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it, I bought the Jeep about a year ago, and the POs did not do anything really right on it. The least of the problems it had when i bought was the 1'' pucks on top of the 2'' pucks on top of the 3'' coils, all with stock control arms. They even thought it would be a good idea to cut out the rear wheel well pinch welds.

SO, this is just one more thing i have to repair that was caused by PO dipsh!t not building it right in the first place, and then thinking it was able to just be beaten.

Thanks for the help, and i there is anymore info that you guys have that might help me make this more permanent of a solution, please, i am all ears.

Well, one thing is that the hole length of the vehicle needs to be reinforced. Strengthening only some areas concentrates twisting and stress in the un-reinforced areas. The A pillar area is especially subject to major stress and cracking, as shown by the cracks in Jes's rig. A cage that ends in front of the dash (inside the car) increases the twisting in the cowl and A pillar area. For this reason (among others), when cage design is discussed it is recommended that a combo internal/external cage is done where there is an exo roof hoop with the A pillar bars going down the outside of the A pillars and down into the fender next to the cowl. This brings the added rigidity from the cage to forward of the A pillar rather than behind it, and it allows the cage to tie into the side of the cowl area further eliminating twisting stress on the A pillars. An added benefit of this type of cage design is that tubing can also run forward under the fender to a front grill hoop or tie into a front bumper, adding some more strength and rigidity to the whole length of the vehicle.

Frame plating doesn't really do much to add rigidity to the whole chassis. It strengthens the frame under the car so it doesn't get smashed in by rocks, and it makes the frame itself stronger to resist cracking, but it doesn't do that much for chassis stiffness to avoid eventual cracking in areas of the body and front and rear crossmembers. Structure adds stiffness, plating just makes the metal thicker. Adding some tubing like with a cage or like the T&J frame stiffeners is the way to really add rigidity to the entire chassis.

That is kinda what i was thinking. Add some tubing the the A pillars and into the cowl area, and tie it into the roof as well. any thoughts?

Well, I just looked over my rig and sure enough, both sides are cracked above that Torx bolt behind the fender corners...... Damn.

I've gotta remove the front fenders anyway to address some clearance issues so I guess I'll be doing some fixin' of the cracking as well - looking forward to seeing what you come up with to stiffen up the front.

And my rig gets some hard 'wheeling in too - check out the "Independence" pics on the Colorado forum. Good stuff with me gettin' really nasty-stuck on the exit obstacle. That sucked.

I don't wanta go look!! But NOW I have too!

Well, i plated it and reinforced the areas that were cracking into the door frame. and so far so good, though i haven't really driven much.

Just giving an Update. All the plating and repairs i have done are holding up well. through a couple Moab trails and some AF canyon trails. And lots of going to fast over stuff that i shouldnt have.

Back