• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

May 10th, Expressway workparty

I enjoyed helping clean up the trails with you all, I have to start putting names to screenames!

Learned a lot, and look forward to wheeling with ya'all in the future!

Ok...except ba-riedo the burrito, he would just use my jeep to cook his lunch! :wierd:

That rock face (is that expressway?) was frigging brutal. Watching that u-joint pop was awesome! :firedevil

DravisAR said:
I enjoyed helping clean up the trails with you all, I have to start putting names to screenames!

Learned a lot, and look forward to wheeling with ya'all in the future!

Ok...except ba-riedo the burrito, he would just use my jeep to cook his lunch! :wierd:

That rock face (is that expressway?) was frigging brutal. Watching that u-joint pop was awesome! :firedevil
Ha this means your jeep will actually make it onto a trail at some point?:D Oh yeah a 44 snapping a axle shaft was something I had never seen before. :wierd:

-Alex

I had a great time. Got alot of work done and a ton of garbage picked up.

Everything was going good til our little law enforcement incident, right Ba-reido. ;)

Ba-Riedo said:
Ha this means your jeep will actually make it onto a trail at some point?:D Oh yeah a 44 snapping a axle shaft was something I had never seen before. :wierd:

-Alex
Pretty sure it was the ujoint ;)

XJourney said:
Everything was going good til our little law enforcement incident, right Ba-reido. ;)
Oh do tell! :dunce:

XJourney said:

Yeah that was bad, "Where are the lights?" :doh: So anyone have a picture of a gashed MTR?:looney:

Not the joint, drivers side shaft (long side), the joint expanded a little but stayed good.

-Alex

It was a great run except for the last minute tire side wall puncture suffered by Doug - FubarXJ. We blocked off a few bypasses and created some new drainages. More importantly we made some assesements of what really needs to be done on the trail. Watching a quad skitter off to the side while using the "quad bypass" at the rock face really drove home how dangerous that has become. While running some of the other trails we took note of the efforts that have been made to preserve the trails and the styles and materials of those efforts.

Here are a few pics:

P5100004.jpg

P5100001.jpg

P5100002.jpg

P5100003.jpg

When we made it to the rock face we found the Ridge Runners performing some minor reapir work...

P5100007.jpg

Rich had the least amount of lift and suffered the most in the roots of the Lower Mainline

P5100031.jpg

P5100041.jpg

P5100039.jpg

And of course the Group shot.:
P5100064.jpg

Last edited:
XJourney said:

Sneaking Alex across the Whatcom County border?

We logged a total of 94 hours. Picked up about 4 or 5 very large, very full trashbags plus an exhaust pipe, muffler, beauty ring, tent, and other assorted items (anyone missing a dark blue zippered hoody:D ). We helped the drainage on all of the sections of Expressway that needed it and did close a few minor bypasses. As a general rule the trailed looked good and should be better as the weather warms up.

We also got to spend a significant period of time "researching :hang: " the rockface as well as the rest of the trail (there seems to be a new bypass or section of trail half way up Expressway that I don't ever remember seeing before that we need to review also, it might go between Expressway and Upper Mainline? more work for another trip)

Future Work:
I will coordinate with the DNR but I think we came up with some ideas for the "Rockface" of Expressway. The typical bypass has become difficult (even for capable rigs) when it is reasonably dry and the dirt walls on both sides have been eaten away very quickly the last year or so. We think that we might need to do more extensive work to protect these but we want to monitor this a little longer before we do anything and hope that our other work on the "new" bypass will help take any additional stress off the current bypass.

The "new" bypass that has formed on the left side of the rockface is not currently passable by most 4x4's because of a couple of tree's at the top and a very narrow precariouse climb that puts you right into these tree's. We actually witnessed two quads coming down this bypass and watched both of them almost go over and it is obviouse that this is a dangerous spot that needs some work.

our current idea (need to coordinate with the DNR) is to remove the two tree's at the top of this bypass and widen the climb so that a mid size 4x4 could fit through it. In the process we also need to flaten the currently off camber grade and protect this part of the trail with crushed rock so that we don't have a continual issue with errosion and other damage.

This work will be difficult and will take ALOT of peoples assistance. It should be enjoyable and rewarding, but will be ALOT of hard work.

I will coordinate with the DNR and get a few of the materials that we will need to do the work and then we can set up a workparty to tackle it.

Thanks guys for all of your help today. I think the day was a huge success!!

Michael

Michael-

Just thinking about this now, but for the bypasses and walls that we were talking about maybe some wire mesh with the rebar to help strengthen it up, I still think the garden fabric stuff is a necessity as it will keep alot of the smaller stuff from working its way out of whatever we build.

Either way I look forward to having my jeep back and heading up there to help out again. I think we left part of the tent up on expressway when I was trying to fish it out with a shovel.:gee:

Oh and I think you missed out not grabbing that 'utility trailer' that you passed then backed up and checked out towards the end of the day.

-Alex

My photos are still uploading to photobucket!!! F'n hell it's slow.

I still have swamp jizz dripping down the side of my Jeep.

...And here are my photos.

WalkerRun055.jpg

You gotta love not being able to open your doors without hitting the ground.
WalkerRun059.jpg

I puckered a little.
WalkerRun063.jpg

WalkerRun065.jpg

Just a sweet picture.
WalkerRun070.jpg

Until we noticed this! Damn, my Jeep was bleeding.
WalkerRun072.jpg

Big 'ol balls
WalkerRun075.jpg

WalkerRun077.jpg

WalkerRun078.jpg

WalkerRun079.jpg

Matt parked like this but it looks like he's brocken in a ditch.
WalkerRun082.jpg

The Jeeps, and Matt dancing to New Kids on the Block.
WalkerRun103.jpg

DOH!!!!
WalkerRun087.jpg

The only time I had to get pulled. Son of a...
WalkerRun089.jpg

Falling trees
WalkerRun093.jpg

WalkerRun094.jpg

Ouch!!
WalkerRun096.jpg

WalkerRun097.jpg

Posser.
WalkerRun098.jpg

Too lazy to hold air in your tire!
WalkerRun101.jpg

Back