• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

May 10th, Expressway workparty

Yep, good times on the trail. Hans, good getting to know you, you can be my winch bitch anytime. Matt, stop by the friggin' store and buy a six-pack of beer next time. In fact, buy a half-rack, because you owe me. Rich, nice job taking a pretty limited almost stock XJ through some gnarly stuff. You are an inspiration, a worthy partner in training for our "Fatathlon", and a "Golden God of Wheeling....Sonofa!!!!" Michael, the rock-solid sane one of the bunch, your stability amidst the sea of immature chaos is appreciated. Rich's buddy, time for Jeep history 101. Mistaking a CJ for a TJ is inexcusable. Tracy, fix that shock mount and bring Thrashed Metal on the trail next time, and thanks for the air assist at the end of the day. Alex, shut up.

The MTR appears to be toast. I'll have to take it in and get it checked out by someone who does tire stitch/bonded patch repair, but it's a big friggin' hole.

Last edited:
The trail was just awesome and a Jeep is just a Jeep without good spotters and great people to share the fun with. It really was great to hang out with you all again and to meet a few new faces. zukkev, Hans, and the great group of guys (and gal) from some other area clubs.

zukkev said:
On a lighter note, the day was good--got the top link on the Subota(Subie body on yota chassis) welded up, the driveline fixed, and we continued on to finish the rest of the trails...and for the record, I ended up loading the back of my Sami with trash from the Lower Mainline trail....Thanks again guys for workin on the expressway....

Where all did your group run? On my way out I talked with Sam from Arlington who was on his first run with you. He said you were still up on the trails, he had taken off due to steering box issues. We didn't see you after the Rockface so I had thought you had already run everything and headed home.

Metal Thrasher said:
Where all did your group run? On my way out I talked with Sam from Arlington who was on his first run with you. He said you were still up on the trails, he had taken off due to steering box issues. We didn't see you after the Rockface so I had thought you had already run everything and headed home.

Hey Metalthrasher, it was really good to meet ya' (and the rest that I met up there). Once we got thru the rockface, we headed up upper mainline (which the red CJ did great even in 2WD!!!), once at the top of the second section of upper mainline; a couple had to do some minor repairs (incl sam who had to repair his lower rad hose); once ready to go the Subota, the bogger-shod Sami, and the two CJ's(Eric and Don) followed Jayson(Subota) back to the parking lot, and we headed up the rest of Upper mainline to check out the proposed skill-building area. We took some pics to get enlarged for the meeting(DNR) Tuesday nite; for discussion of said area. Just before this area there was about a foot of snow on the trail on and off for about 200 yards, which some of us had abit of an issue (ie the bogger clad yotas, the green sami, and a couple others), I was fortunate enough to be the first thru, but even I had to back up a couple times to get momentum going!! (we were the 1st 4x4's thru in quite awhile as there were only singletrack treads in the snow!!) Once done there we headed down to Lower mainline and were having a great time (aside of a downhill trail with front locker and no P/S:mad: -myself and the Willy's both!); We stopped to take pics of us going thru the wedge stumps after the bridge (where mc2kxjgot hung up), and that's when we discovered the steering box on Sam's Jeep was VERY loose!!! he broke out a couple wrenches and tightened up what he could(lower mount was broken off) and we continued on thru to the looging road, where he broke off and headed down....the rest of us headed down the last section of Lower, and that's where I picked up some trash that was off the trail about 25ft(why I still haven't figured out--looked like someone tossed a bag off into the woods and critters got to it! Anyway, we finished the rest of the trail and headed out--got back to the parking lot about 6:00.....
Oh, and what we saw on our way back really blew me away--at the gravel pit, there were a bunch of cycles, and quads hangin out at the road trying to block off traffic, because a couple were trying to push this HUGE rock down from the top to clear a way for a hillclimb--This will be brought up at the DNR meet Tue---I asked one of the riders if that was an Actual trail, which he responded, yes; I don't know the singletrack trails well enough to argue, but sure didn't look to me like one; Marty w/ SMC will know.....Hopefully this will be dealt with...maybe a big rock fence or something to deter this from happening in the future....
Anyway, sorry to be so longtyped, but was a busy day and had a great time as stated before!!! Oh, and DravisAR, no worries---I was Really Tired last night(this morning!), and I guess I did take it alittle out of context----you're right, we all have a little redneck in us, or things like broken parts wouldn't get us excited( it was kinda cool watching the driveline fall out of the Subota, and sparks flying from the CJ!):explosion

zukkev said:
last section of Lower, and that's where I picked up some trash that was off the trail about 25ft(why I still haven't figured out--looked like someone tossed a bag off into the woods and critters got to it!

you're right, we all have a little redneck in us, or things like broken parts wouldn't get us excited( it was kinda cool watching the driveline fall out of the Subota, and sparks flying from the CJ!):explosion

1. I know that we filled two large bags before reaching the Upper Mainline . Including over 250 shot gun shells... I left a bunch more there because I wasn't armored up enough for the black berries. - same deal it looked like someone had purposefully thrown them off the trail a ways
:smsoap: . We didn't run the last part of Lower so that's probably where we passed you.

2. Any one wearing a blue and black thermal jacket in an ORV Park is defenitely a redneck... Yours looked better than mine though.... :laugh3:

Metal Thrasher said:
:smsoap: . We didn't run the last part of Lower so that's probably where we passed you.

2. Any one wearing a blue and black thermal jacket in an ORV Park is defenitely a redneck... Yours looked better than mine though.... :laugh3:

You forgot my Camo hat!!!!:eyes:

Yeah, we all have to lay claim to a little bit of redneckery based on the fact we're up in the woods abusing our junk. Like was said, no offense intended. I just nod and say "Yep" when someone calls me a redneck. :D

Mc2KXJ said:
WalkerRun087.jpg
Rich what is your current setup, lift, tires, lockers? It looks about comparable to mine.

Walker is what 4-5hrs from Portland? Maybe after NWF.

Thats him completely high centered ;)

afaik he has about 3.5" lift in front, 4.5" rear, lockright front, factory lsd rear, stock gears, 31" MTs...that he loves...dearly, which anyone who wheels with him will hear...a lot.

Welded his own sliders and front bumper as well...pretty damn slick if I say so myself.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing I love more than my tires, is my Jeep. Oh yeah, and my wife and kids.

TORX said:
It looks about comparable to mine.

Pics?

As far as mine, I could have gone much harder and faster even with my curent setup if I didn't love my rig so much. I'm kind of a pu$$y when it comes to body damage so I use a little more finess than the next guy. You really need to try and make it up there, I don't know how anyone could not have fun.

Rich

DravisAR said:
Thats him completely high centered ;)

...pretty damn slick if I say so myself.
Not quite slick enuff, by the looks of it!!!:roflmao: J/K---I can respect those that don't want to destroy their rigs!

zukkev said:
Not quite slick enuff, by the looks of it!!!:roflmao:
:D

I was talking to Mc2KXJ about some rock rails being too wide, and used that incident as evidence of what I was talking about. It really illustrated the benefit of the rocker-replacements more and more of us are running.

Still, for a first time garage fab set of rock rails, they did really well and only held him up a couple times.

-----Matt-----

Rich is a solid driver, getting better each time out. He's not quite the "Golden God Of Wheeling", but will hopefully minimize the "Sonofa!!!"s in the future. ;)

fubar XJ said:
He's not quite the "Golden God Of Wheeling", but will hopefully minimize the "Sonofa!!!"s in the future. ;)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Back