• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massive np 242 woes (89 with a 350)

there is limited room on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel in an xj. The exhaust can be ran down the driver side for dual exhaust but im skeptical on a clutch fork having room to move.... that is why advance adapters conversions use a bellhousing made with the opening for the clutch fork on the pass side. I dunno if it will work. Are you goin to use a hydraulic clutch slave cyl set up?? or linkage?? Oh and about the t-case bolting up- Google search too see if a factory adapter is need and see if a np208 will bolt up to it. The chevy 208 and 241 share the same bolt pattern.

Last edited:
This is what i found on another site that someone replied to another persons question.

Chevy 208
Passenger side drop (front driveshaft). This Tcase has the GM rotation of the 6 bolt circular bolt pattern.
Input Spline: We have run into two different input spline configurations on these cases.
27 spline: The units supplied with a T350 or 700R4 automatic have a 27 spline female input shaft.
32 spline: This is the preferred shaft, as it is the strongest. These came behind Turbo 400 or SM465 transmissions.

I dont know if it is acurate or not though

I also found this on advanced adapters under the np 208 and np 241 32 spline input (1981-2000)
This Transfer Case was originaly coupled to the TH400, 4L80E, or the SM465 transmission. This Transfer case has the circular 6 (round) bolt pattern.
So that means it should bolt up if I find a a 32 spline driverside drop one.
I was probably going with the hydraulic clutch slave cyl set up. Ive been gathering parts little by little with extra money from my paycheck. Once ive got everything gatherd im going to finish the project.
For your 350 swap did you use the advanced adapters engine mounts?

Last edited:
okay. then search ebay for a SM465 factory 208/241 adapter. And a good place to find some 32 spline np241 chevy cases is Pirate4x4.com in the transfercase/engine/tranny for sale forum as i mentioned earlier. If you want to go that route. There is one or two for sale now i think....

And yes i used the advanced adapters motor mount brackets and rubber mounts. But do not run their rubber mounts!!! They suck. Buy some polyuerethane ones at autozone or something. I now run solid motor mounts because i destroyed both rubber mounts that came with the advance adapters frame brackets.

And exhaust manifolds/ header selection is fun. I run some old chevy "ram horn" manifolds that i cut the collectors off and welded a piece of gas pipe to and welded exhaust pipe on from there. I had to cut the collectors off the manifolds because they interfered with the frame( ie wouldnt fit, too wide) but that is only because i angled my motor mount brackets to angle the motor towards the pass side. I redrilled the pass side bracket mounting holes to move the motor back and i torched and rewelded the bracket on the driver side. I would think you could get some shorty block huggers to fit if you kept the motor in the original placement. Worst case you could cut the collector flange off and weld exhause pipe straight to the header...

Last edited:
and you might consider a dana 300 behind that sm265.Its way shorter than a 241 or 231 and stronger (gear driven/cast case). I know you can get 32 spline inputs for the dana 300 t-case but you might need an adapter for the jeep t case round bolt pattern....

Thanks for the tip ill keep the poly mounts in mind when i get the engine mounts. Ill have to go back to our woods and dig out that scottsdale because i think that t-case could have been a np 408. It was passangerside drop so i didnt pay attention to it when i pulled the engine. But if the bolt pattern is the same for driverside and passangerside drop then im in the clear but if not ill have to pick up a adapter. I was planning on calling the salvage yard tommorrow about a 241, ill ask them about a dana 300 also. I have a dana 44 axel that i got from there out of a jeep cherokee. It needs new breaks but i plan on putting it in when i put the 350 in. Yea ive been looking at all the differnt block hugger headders out there trying to decide the best bet for the money. One of my buddys has a exaust shop and i was going to run exaust there when the time came. With the 350 in does your xj get better gas milage? My xj before the engine pull got 14 at best.

I havent driven it enough on the street to calculate mileage. But im sure it wasnt very good. It drinks fuel pretty good!!

Yea im sure its also hard to keep your foot from stompin on the pedal and letting that v8 roar. It turns out that t-case is a np 208 so the 241 should bolt right up.

you need to see what spline count your transmission output shaft is. That will come into play maybe?? 27 spline, 32 spline, possibly old 10 spline?? and have you figured out if your t-case adapter has the 5 or 6 bolt round pattern that i was talkin about on a 208/241 ????

and when i say adapter i'm meaning the factory bolt on adapter... im assuming you have one since you took all this crap out of a truck right??

Last edited:
If you still want a strong 242 it may be worth giving George Kreppein a call. I was given his details by someone else who recommended him to me as someone that specializes in building 242AMG strength transfercases from NV242.

George Kreppein Jr
Transfer Cases Unlimited
265 Cortland St
Lindenhurst, NY 11757 (Long Island)
Bus. 631-226-1448
Cell 516-658-1440

Sorry it took so long to reply a lot of things came up not letting me use the internet but here it is... 32 spline 6 bolt adapter, also what did youm use for your fuel delivery system did you use the 350 fuel pum on the engine, electric fuel pump, or the xj fuel pum with something to bring down the psi?

okay im lost here its been a min since i last thought about this.... UH i used a mechanical pump standard stuff on the motor, then pulled the electric pump out of the gas tank and ran 3/8" copper line into the tank thru where the pump used to be for a pick up.

So what are we talkin about as far as transfer cases go now??? 32 spline 6 bolt cases are GM 241/208...

Thats what I was thinkin would be best for the fuel also. Plus it is easier replacing a pump on the engine then to replace one in the tank. Im probably going to go with the np 241 I called down to our local salvage yard and they can get me one for $70... also i looked at our 91 chevy 2500 and it has the t-case i need but i dont think my dad would be too happy if i pulled it from his cattle hauling truck

Back