• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying a jeep. what now?

optikalilution

NAXJA Forum User
So I found a jeep im buying. Im buying this to go back and forth to work and school, with 2 kids so it will be a dail driven baby carrying project. Here is my ideas and a list of what im looking to put on the jeep. It will probably see little offroading other than hunting unless I find somewhere to wheel around shreveport. Mostly mud anyway.
its a 2000 jeep xj sport with np 231, don't know what axle yet.
plans are.
rockhard bumpers/winch
4.5 lift either RE or RC but I don't know which
true sye, not a hack and tap
On board air
31 10.50 15 cooper stt's on black wheels
Roof rack with tire carrier
Cb
and eventually build a hp d30 and an 8.25 with air lockers and gears.

I have searched and answered most of my questions, but can't find these
My questions are which lift to choose over re and rc and why?
and I see about using a front driveshaft on rear. This would be nice to only carry one spare, will this work on a 2000 with 4.5 lift, sye, and hp front axle.
anything im missing, or anything you would do different.
thanks for the help and knowledge in advance

Re lifts are nice, I can't see why a 4.5" lift wouldn't work with your jeep. As for the she and front shafts in the rear. All that should work.

Now personally with it being a dd and a kid hauler I would want to keep it low as possible. For 31's I would stick with a 2" lift and trimming. Or 3.5" not trimmed, but that's my opinion. I've done the stupid tall jeep thing, and I got tired of climbing in and out.

-Ian

I installed a 4.5 Rusty's (went with the HD trac bar, no probs with that) and have never needed a SYE. I'm running 35s now (lots of trimming) and have never had problems. Just need a lot of bumpstopping

By the way you either love going all out or you're overdoing it for just a daily driving hunting rig. Love the plans though!

Lol, I love having a vehicle that's "mine". I haven't gotten to mod my current truck but the suburban I traded for it I had set up the way I wanted. Big brush guard, 4" lift on 33's blacked out z71 burban with move on the license plate.
I figured this will be a good setup that's not over the top but just enough to be nice. And I have decided on a 3.5 super ride over the 4.5. Thanks swamprat.

carefull with the 3.5 and no trimming bit. When I installed the 4.5 it actually came out to a full 5 inches of lift. At first I had 31 inch Baja Claws on there and they BARELY fit without trimming. THey were wide as hell though, so I'd do the install before buying tires. You may find you need a very skinny 31 to fit without trimming.

I have a RE 3.5" superflex (w/ RE trackbar), and run GY 31's. They rub in the front under full compression using the RE provided bumpstops.

If you go with full rear springs, you may need a .75" spacer in the front. My 3.5" lift provided about 4"-4.25" of lift (with stock bumpers and no winch).

Last edited:
i wouldnt order an RE lift at this point, look in off-topic it seems they are reorganizing.

When you order your lift call Bob Supplee, (405) 799-8977. He doesn't have a website but you cant beat his prices.

Thanks for the info. I definately want 31 10.50 15's on 15x8 wheels to fit without trimming. So whatever lift will work is what I want, I keep seeing that 3.5 will fit. Am I wrong?

3.5 kit will fit 31's perfectly fine pretty much any backspacing you get on the wheels will tuck a 31 into the fender well and prevent you from trimming. I've run factory 15x8 canyons on my 3.5 RE kit and stuffed 31's and now i run 16x8 moabs with 265's and 1.5" wheels spacers and they still tuck fine. Factory backspacing is 5.25 i believe, so a wheel with anywhere from 3.75 to 5.25 will be fine.

I'm running 33x12.50 on 4.5".... But then again, I trimmed like I was ashamed of my sheet metal. :)

Back