• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

made some tow hook mounts...

I disagree. What I see is a 2" receiver welded to a class II hitch. :(

DSCF3226.jpg

Not a fan of that drawbar, wouldn't put my face/jeep on the other end of a strap hooked to it.

I agree about beefing up those fronts, and not learning to weld on your tow points.

Mine have 5 holes in 1/4" plate, class 10.9 hardware & steering box bolts. The plate I had wasn't big enough to pick up the 6th bolt, I'd have preferred that.

Look through the horn...

IMG_3031.jpg

eric,

What's holding that rear hook in place? I don't see a hitch pin or visible welds. It almost looks like you used rosette welds and grinded them clean on the sides.

I'd seriously consider picking up a class III receiver along with a receiver shackle. If cost is a concern, you can generally find used class III hitches at the salvage yard for under $40. Use your angle grinder and a flap disk to remove an surface rust and hit it with a few coats of rustoleum.

The Warn receiver shackle is around $40 these days. There are a few cheaper alternatives, including a hook like you have now.

you guys need to stop blaming your welders duty cycle. if your rating is 10%, yet you weld for 50 minutes straight, its still operator error. would you keep pushing the gas pedal after you drove into a ditch? learn your welder better before taking on projects like this. both your front and rear stuff is borderline scary....

It would be a good idea to add a plate behind the reciever, to pick up the two holes on the rear crossmember

FYI Chrysler deleted those mounts in the OEM tow package at some point in the mid 90s, my 1996 factory receiver does not have that plate, my 1989 factory receiver does.

Now, of course, I'm talking a factory Class III receiver that has, what, five bolts per side, about 14" back into the frame rail, not that Class II hitch pictured.

I ran a hitch mostly for recovery, and crammed the loop of a strap in the receiver and hooked it in place with the hitch pin. Worked for me.

Recovery points aren't something to go half way on. If it fails when you really need it, you could end up launching a hook or a chunk of that hitch through your buddy.

you guys need to stop blaming your welders duty cycle. if your rating is 10%, yet you weld for 50 minutes straight, its still operator error. would you keep pushing the gas pedal after you drove into a ditch? learn your welder better before taking on projects like this. both your front and rear stuff is borderline scary....

No, they're both scary.

The front is scary because it has two bolts and a poorly designed bracket. You must go with the OEM setup or greater with tow hooks or you're going to be very sorry.

The rear is scary because of that welded in cast tow hook. Can it be done safely? Yes. Do I trust that a newbie welder with entry level equipment can do it? No. This is not even mentioning the Class II / Class III hybrid receiver hitch that does not give me warm and fuzzies.

This is why I disagree with rear bumpers that have shackles and receivers in them, not many bumper builders do it right and include the factory receiver mounting points.

We're not bashing you or being dicks here, this is a very important safety issue, people have been killed by flying recovery points.

No, they're both scary.

The front is scary because it has two bolts and a poorly designed bracket. You must go with the OEM setup or greater with tow hooks or you're going to be very sorry.

The rear is scary because of that welded in cast tow hook. Can it be done safely? Yes. Do I trust that a newbie welder with entry level equipment can do it? No. This is not even mentioning the Class II / Class III hybrid receiver hitch that does not give me warm and fuzzies.

we have established that the front will not work... I am reworking the front, focusing on the rear as we speak... people are giving advice, I am taking it...

I did not weld the tow hook, I started with this...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=Bm3dTa-uHZKTtweq3sDGDw&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA#

You started with that and did what? Get a class III hitch and use that as your base, or get a bumper with good tie ins.

we have established that the front will not work... I am reworking the front, focusing on the rear as we speak... people are giving advice, I am taking it...

I did not weld the tow hook, I started with this...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=Bm3dTa-uHZKTtweq3sDGDw&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA#

I know that you started with a receiver mounted hook, but where is the hitch pin? You said that it's "perma-welded" in place but the welds look questionable. Other than that, a class II hitch has quite a few less mounting points than a class III. If anything, I'd at least drill some holes in your hitch tube and run a pin through it. You can "perma-weld" the hitch pin if you want.

DrawTite Class III hitch
2-15.jpg

xcm,

I was joking about my duty-cycle. My welder sucks, but I admittedly suck at welding. I stick to welding small things that have nothing to do with recovery, suspension, etc.

Back