• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOUD Rear Vibration or Hum disappears with rear Drive shaft removed

My 2004 Cherokee with Quada Drive was experiencing the same symptoms. Very violent shaking and low frequency vibration and hum that sounded like a subwoofer. Could not drive over 50 without feeling the car was going to come apart.

After much searching online and worry about $$$ it ended up being a simple u-joint replacement on the rear driveshaft. One of the sleeves that is secured to the yoke had split/cracked. After removing it the post was worn so bad it was not round anymore.

I fixed a similar vibration in the front a few months ago with a u-joint change...several mechanics and staff at AutoZone could not find the source of the "squeak". This one would squeak just rolling around the parking lot AND had a moderate vibration that we thought might be something else like diff or t-case.

I just read that over tightening of the clamps that hold the u-joint in the yoke is a common source of problems. The site mentioned that its often the sleeve that is secured to the yoke that fails.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/frequently_asked_questions.html

BTW - I removed the rear DS and expected to be able to test drive my vehicle but the front wheels would not turn! I have the NP247J transfer case which drives the rear wheels by default and only drives the front when the rears slip. Off topic, but anyone know if this is normal for a 247?

Back