• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost gages,radio,domelightand buzzer need HELP

How much fuel is in the tank and has someone checked the fuel pressure?

Since you had a blown IOD fuse I would REALLY pull the radio and look to see if the battery feed wire is shorting out when you hit a bump.

IOD = Ignition Off Draw, basically the vehicle is shipped new without this fuse installed so anything that gets a battery feed will not run the battery down as it sits. Namely dome lamps, battery feed to radio, glove box light, underhood light, vanity lights, etc...

Last edited:
Well...bad connections can blow a fuse...and the oil pressure sensor replacement is a common failure and fix for the sympton that the tech observed...so they were real failures and fixes, while you still have a remaining problem that may be "vibrational"..one of your posts said you hit a pothole and the problem popped up right then...If I was working on this problem on my own Jeep, after I had ruled out everything I just recommended, I would probably be physically looking inside the PCM to see if I could find a loose, or heated circuit component or connection that I could repair before I decided to buy a new one, if I could not figure out where to go next in the troubleshooting process...

Thanx MJR u may have something.Since me and my brother installed it I don't think I'm qualified to troubleshoot it.what do you mean shipped w/o the fuse please explain further if u would?He just said he replaced it and now the issue is the cutting out.

Well my wife's "impression" was it started(cutting out)after I lifted it ,added dvd player,back-up camera,Driving lights.Problem is I did all of these things at same time.Literally had 4 of us.

I am probably going to give the stealership a shot at it but should I give them the previous invoices 2 read or just go in "cold" describing symptoms only?

McQue said:
Well...bad connections can blow a fuse...and the oil pressure sensor replacement is a common failure and fix for the sympton that the tech observed...so they were real failures and fixes, I would probably be physically looking inside the PCM to see if I could find a loose, or heated circuit component or connection that I could repair before I decided to buy a new one, if I could not figure out where to go next in the troubleshooting process...

While yes the oil sender is an issue it is also an input to the PCM which sends the pressure reading over a data buss (not directly wired) to the cluster on 97-01 models.

A short is more likely to blow a fuse than a poor connection and is more common in XJ's.

You can't look into some PCM's because they are usually potted (encapsulated in a think gelatin sealer) but the JTEC one might be a little different inside when you open the case (flexible board). I wouldn't really recommend it in the chance you damage something.

PCM's are often shotgunned because they simply do not know what the real problem is.

Last edited:
Doubt it has anything to do with the lift. Just go over all the electrical connections when you added all that stuff. You might find a wrong connection, shorting wire, or a loose connector somewhere.

They are shipped with the fuse out so the truck drivers don't run the battery down by not closing a door, glove box, etc... The dealer as predelivery reinstalls the fuse before the vehicle is sold.

greychalet said:
Well my wife's "impression" was it started(cutting out)after I lifted it ,added dvd player,back-up camera,Driving lights.Problem is I did all of these things at same time.Literally had 4 of us.

You can always disconnect everything to see if the problem goes away. When I have a electrical problem I always look at the aftermarket stuff first.

I definately agree with the PCM shotgunned statement .But about the radio the 2 issues have never happened simultaneously and when I blew the fuse that doesn't ship from factory? The cutting out never happened until i took it back for the gage/radio issue.

greychalet said:
I am probably going to give the stealership a shot at it but should I give them the previous invoices 2 read or just go in "cold" describing symptoms only?

Unfornately you may or may not find a competent tech. I have been doing this a long thing specifically on Jeeps and it's hard to find someone who really knows their product electrically. While I can give you things to look at I do not always remember everything. There are things I would do if I was working on the vehicle I might forget to mention over the net.

The hardest ones are the one off problems you are not likely to see again and I have seen some wierd ones on Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles.

greychalet said:
Thank you very much .I've only got one more question will you come fix it for me?LOL

I wish I could. I'd be glad to. Funny thing is I did once go to England to help fix a Jeep.

Whats ironic is I travel all around to the big 3 engine plants as a service tech and i am clueless auto troubleshooting.

greychalet said:
I definately agree with the PCM shotgunned statement .But about the radio the 2 issues have never happened simultaneously and when I blew the fuse that doesn't ship from factory? The cutting out never happened until i took it back for the gage/radio issue.

The fuse as I said earlier is reinstalled by the dealer before it's sold so all that IOD stuff works.

Makes me wonder if someone disconnected a connector somewhere and didn't get it back in all the way. There are two types of connectors used. Click/snap lock (all other connectors) types and bolt together (usually main bulkhead connections) types. There are some under the drivers side dash, in the right kick panel, and the rest all over.

greychalet said:
Whats ironic is I travel all around to the big 3 engine plants as a service tech and i am clueless auto troubleshooting.

Don't feel bad electrical can be one of the hardest to do.

Thanx again.I'm gonna go through it as soon as I can get it in my buddies barn.Its cold here and I need a pole barn.

greychalet said:
I love my jeeps but computers belong on my desk.

man i couldnt agree more!!!!!!!!
i'm having some stupidity problems with mine as well. (89 XJ 4.0, all stock)

hey rich, where is effert, pa? im like an hour north of harrisburg.

& yes greychalet, pa can & does get as cold as mi.

I worked all weekend (which is very rare) so I haven't checked any of these great suggestions and now it's cold and dark and the playoffs.But I am re-reading this post while watching the game and making a shorthand list in wordpad of all the suggestions posted so I'll have it when I get off my @#$.The vibe I'm getting today is I'm an idiot and I mucked something up with the wiring.Especially worried about radio and there could be something with that stupid back-up camera.I just wanted something to plug into the DVD, novelty mostly.Later I read about people using them for wheelin' Puttin em in strange places so maybe I can use it in the future.As I mentioned its the wife's rig.I hit a 10pt. buck with her '95 XJ(which was originally mine) So I bought her a '99 and for Xmas(2006) lifted it and installed the noveltys.She thinks it started then. In all that time its gotten worse and the only other problem not mentioned was the rear dome light stayed on once.I know I replaced the rubber stops on the liftgate at that time cause it was rattlin.Can't remember if thats what "fixed" that problem.I know we pulled power from rear hatch light for the camera.I am going to start by getting rid of all the aftermarket.OMG can't believe I didn't mention the remote start I bought her and had installed also!I JUST remembered that little jewel as I am typing.I don't even know where THAT is at to disconnect it.I never saw what they did.Did I mention I'm stupid?Anyways I will update..

I did forget one item with the fuse blowing. If you have the lighted sunvisors move them around (up/down/right/left) and see if the fuse blows. I have seen more than a few vehicles with cut wires or mounting screws pinching the power wire at the headliner.

Back