• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj rolled, ran fine after, now won't start

JTS113

NAXJA Forum User
Saturday night out wheeling at a buddies property I laid my jeep on it's side. When it was on it's side it was still running for about 10 seconds before I got it shut off. After we got it back upright, let it sit for about 5 minutes, hit the key and it fired right up. Drove out of the trails up to the shop and washed it off, started and moved it 3-4 different times before parking it for the night.

Sunday morning it cranks but won't fire, a small squirt of starting fluid and it fires right up and runs perfectly fine with the exception of the temp gauge being pegged out for some reason. Spent the day at the u-pull-it getting a door and some glass, came back installed the new stuff, still have to start with ether, but it runs fine. I drove it home (about 10 miles) Sunday night with zero issues other than the temp gauge. Engine ran fine, had normal power, ect. when I got home and shut it off it had a faint smell of gas, but I couldn't find the source. Went back out after about an hour and it fired right up, figured maybe whatever it was cleared itself out on the drive home.

This afternoon I tried to start it and move it and I can't get it started at all. Squirt some ether in it, it fires and will run until it burns out the ether. Has fuel pressure at the rail, obviously has spark, but won't run on its own. I pulled the fuel pump relay and jumped it, the pump comes on and is pumping plenty of fuel. So, I'm lost. It's got fuel, air, and spark, but won't run. And it ran perfectly fine last night!

I found what looks like the end of some sort of roll over switch sitting on the wiring harness that runs across the firewall, but looked everywhere and couldn't find where it came from. I'll try and get a pic of that up and see if anyone has any clue where it came from. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the cause of my no start issue.

Thanks for any help!

Here's the thing I found on the harness. It's got a ball inside it and you can shake it and feel/hear it rolling back and forth. Also, I should mention there is no check engine light and my scanner showed no codes.

Well, I got it started. Ended up being a 2 person operation. Had to have my girlfriend work the key while I hit it with starting fluid and worked the throttle. I had to baby it on the starting fluid for about 10-15 seconds befire it would stay running on its own.
Sounds like my fuel system is losing prime? But I can jump the relay and hit the valve on the rail and its got plenty of fuel, so when doing that it should fire right up, right? But it doesnt. Getting kind of stumped on this one.

Determine why the temp gauge is pegged, a short circuit, or open circuit is a logical assumption. No data or faulty data from the Coolant Temp Sensor has been to said to cause a no-start.

Check/test the battery, it may be damaged or partially shorted out. Test the fuel pressure, determine if you have good pressure (49 +/-5 psi), and how long it takes to bleed to zero after shutting off.

Determine why the temp gauge is pegged, a short circuit, or open circuit is a logical assumption. No data or faulty data from the Coolant Temp Sensor has been to said to cause a no-start.

Check/test the battery, it may be damaged or partially shorted out. Test the fuel pressure, determine if you have good pressure (49 +/-5 psi), and how long it takes to bleed to zero after shutting off.

This makes sense. Yesterday I got when I got it started I drove it around for a little bit and the temp gauge went from being pegged on hot to dancing around all over below 210. Obviously a wiring issue. I'm not sure what it is, or where it came from, but the wires that come off the temp sensor have this black sticky gooey shit melted all over them, as well as the upper rad hose. I had an idea that maybe whatever that was melted the insulation on the wiring for the sensor and the bare wires were touching, pulled them apart to where they're not touching and the gauge seems to be working fine now and it starts on it's own. So, looks like hopefully I can just repair the wiring right there and everything work like it should.

Also, battery load tested fine, and fuel PSI is at 50.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Back