• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for light weight wheel/tire combo

Thanks to all your replies. 70 hr work weeks don't give me much time to jump on here or do much wheeling these days. To reply to a few of the posts...

The Jeep is a 98' with the Chrysler 8.35 which I regeared to 4:10s about a year ago now. I already had the mileage drop prior to that and noticed no difference in MPG after the swap, for better or worse.... Unfortunately.

I have had my OBD-II scanner hooked up on a few occassions. No current codes or issues with sensors for some time now. It has new O2 sensors (up an down stream), TPS replaced 2 yrs ago when it died on me, causing the engine to die. And it warms up pretty quick on my way to work, about 2 miles.

I live in Phoenix, AZ so a cold morning for us is usually in the low 40-50's and traffic sucks during rush hour. Think L.A. and you won't be to far off.... I have plenty of experience with both.

I have the factory 15" alloys that kinda look like the old Pontiac snowflake wheels. Not sure what they are called. I know that they are true and have good even tire wear with no shimmy's.

I have a possibly line on a set of both 17" and 18" Liberty wheels. I know that they have the same bolt pattern but different backset. Does anyone know if these would work with out issue? Would a set of wheel spacers work if need be with out the tire/wheel sticking out of the wheel well? (I have factory color matched flares) Thanks again.

The KJ wheels should fit like XJ wheels; the "Icon" wheel was available on either.

Guessing the 17 and 18 have different widths, which would change the backspace, but I'd guess they'd fit an XJ well enough.

Silly question, but did you replace the speedo gear when you regeared the axles?

Are you running proper PSI in the tires? And what about tuneup or running Seafoam through the tank? Possibly clogged injectors...

It seems that you should be getting better MPG if you've already regeared and have the new speedo gear...

Any roofrack on top?

If I had the money, Id buy up a set of Rubicon wheels and a nice set of street tires and run those, don't know if they are that much lighter than steel wheels

The Rubicon Moabs are actually very heavy

The KJ wheels should fit like XJ wheels; the "Icon" wheel was available on either.

Guessing the 17 and 18 have different widths, which would change the backspace, but I'd guess they'd fit an XJ well enough.

Only the Liberty KJ will have the same bolt pattern, the KK has a different bolt pattern. The KJ wheels only came in a 17X7 width, there were no KJ wheels in 18's.

I am running 35psi in my tires. Has all new filters and new ignition system last fall. Factory weak low profile roof rack.

Thanks for all the help, but I have decided to sell the Jeep. Already bought a 2wd Toyota I plan on turning into a prerunner. Better mpg, lighter and will have plenty of clearance. Capable of taking my where I want here in AZ.

Future toy plans for CJ7.

Back