• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for light weight wheel/tire combo

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of getting a second set of wheels/tires for commuting. I would like to go as light as possible to try and help with mpg. Thinking less weight is easier to spin up and keep moving. Together with lower friction street tires vs. ATs should be noticeable at the pump.

I am considering a simple 5 or 6 spoke 17" or 18" wheel with a lower 60 or 65 profile.

Anyone know the weight of the factory 15" alloy wheels and if any wheels in these sizes could be of similar weight? Save the weight on the tires.

Does anyone know of any factory wheels in these sizes that would fit. Hoping to save some bucks on used wheels vs. new.

Are you doing a lot of stop-n-go during your commute? If you aren't I wouldn't bother.

My street tire combo weighs about 55 lbs per corner, my trail combo weighs about 80 lbs. My driving is roughly 15% city, 85% highway. I track mileage via fuelly.com - there is no appreciable difference in mileage.

If you are using this as a pretext to get some nice wheels/tires... forget I said anything, carry on.

Yes i have quite a bit of stop and go, about 18mi each way. And nope wasn't doing it just for a nice set of wheels, just tired of 15mpg when I got 18-20mpg all the time with my old 235/70 all seasons. Currently running 30" ATs with stock suspension and mpg took a nose dive.

Which AT's are you running? When my Renix XJ was stock + Bridgestone Dueler AT 693 in 235/75 i was getting high teens/low 20s. Even when I lifted it, and had 235s on it still got same mileage. When I put 31's before gearing , mileage went down. After swapping in 4.10s my mileage is back to where it was.
You could get slightly shorter, street-friendly ATs and probably get your mileage back. You shouldn't have to go to a full street tire.

I cant remember the exact issue, but JP Magazine recently did an article on this. Check out their website and see if ya can find it.

Yes i have quite a bit of stop and go, about 18mi each way. And nope wasn't doing it just for a nice set of wheels, just tired of 15mpg when I got 18-20mpg all the time with my old 235/70 all seasons. Currently running 30" ATs with stock suspension and mpg took a nose dive.

If your commute is only 18 mi I wonder if your Jeep gets out of open loop for very long, that will hurt mileage.

If your commute is only 18 mi I wonder if your Jeep gets out of open loop for very long, that will hurt mileage.

Not trying to thread jack by any means.
How hot does the jeep need to be to get out of open loop? My 89 renix stays down by the bar below the 210 so more or less like \ all day unless I'm on a tight trail i ask because my mileage is about 12mpg on 31" pro comp MT's w/3.55 gears

How hot does the jeep need to be to get out of open loop? My 89 renix stays down by the bar below the 210 so more or less like \ all day unless I'm on a tight trail i ask because my mileage is about 12mpg on 31" pro comp MT's w/3.55 gears

Your engine is in closed loop by the time it hits 210. You probably have a maintenance issue to deal with.
air filter, plugs / wires / cap / rotor, coolant temp sensor, o2 sensor are good places to start. Also - 31's & stock gears aren't helping, so don't expect anything beyond 15 in mixed conditions, probably under 20 on highway.

I've been using an OBDII bluetooth adapter paired with the Android, Torque app. I need a new TPS and downstream O2 sensor that is hurting my MPG. By using this app I've been able to see where I am getting the best MPG even though I need some replacement parts.

I've got a 97 auto on 235 tires, 1" UpCountry lift. What I've learned so far:

0-15 MPG I get crappy MPG, around 3-8 MPG up until I start getting around 20-25 MPG it bumps up. I'm getting my best MPG when I'm going around 35-40 and my RPMS are at around 1100-1500. Once my TPS acts up and goes above 1500 RPMS my MPG decreases a bit. When i'm above 30+ MPH with RPMS in the 11-1500 range, I'm getting roughly 15-19MPG. When the RPMS go up above 1550 my MPG decreases down to 12-14. My TPS is wonky and fluctuates causing surges in RPMS.

If you have cruise control, and have decent strips where to use it, use it. I've gotten the most consistent MPG on the freeway using my cruise going about 65 or less even though. Cruising at this speed on the freeway is netting me 15.5-17.5 MPG, hoping this increases once I get my new parts.

I think you'd be fine with an OEM wheel and 215 or 225 tire. The question is, how much would you be using the combo? Would it be worth it financially... or would you be better off just regearing to match your tire combo now. Ford 8.8 with 4.10 gears and JY 4.10 Cherokee D30...

I have a much shorter drive and unless it's just nasty cold out my '98 is out of Cold Loop before I'm out of town.

With heated O2 sensors, you should be out of open loop in less than a minute. It doesn't take miles like many like to say.

Ok. And to all that posted thank you. My too cold issue is prolly caused by the 2 1/8 size holes I drilled into my thermostat (top an bottom) trying to eliminate air pockets in my closed loop system. I was overheating on a wheeling trip so I changed out my thermostat, broke the housing in the process, put a new one on, thought my water pump was bad so i swapped that(it wasn't bad), hoses would rub off black residue inside so I swapped top bot and heater hoses, flushed water thru it til it turned clear, new block temp sensor, imma try and switch the thermostat back and see if it will make it run a normal temp again... It's so bad my heater Only gets sorta warm...

I don't wanna thread jack the OP so thank you for your help

On topic, I'd recommend sticking with steel wheels regardless of them being heavier than aluminum.
I say this based on professional experience with aluminum wheels on the volvos, toyotas & lexuses (lexi?) I work on going out of round by the time the first set of tires is done. This makes tires wear funny, can increase wear on suspension & creates vibes at highway speed.
I'm sure some aluminum wheels are better than others but it seems like the last bajillion times I've balanced alloys, one or more of them has been out of round.
Steel? Almost never - and can be improved with a hammer.

With ^^^ that being said... I can vouch for aluminum wheels bending in a rocky situation my steels in the same set of rocks just got a lil rock rash.

The OP is complaining about the difference in 235's and 31's when it comes to mileage. My opinion is that it is more of a gearing issue than a rotational weight issue.

Good point.

It would make more sense to take the $$ spent on new tires/wheels, and put that towards regearing. Either Ford 8.8 and D30 4.10 (from early model XJ) or the gears for the axles he has now. No hassle with swapping tires each time you want to wheel.

I could understand wanting to buy a set of street tires if you had mud terrains and didn't like the noise level/lower MPG due to weight, on a daily basis and to have the mud tires last longer...

But as old_man said, this seems to be more of a gearing related issue.

Don't write off aluminum wheels too fast. The key word is "alloy." I didn't buy my AEV wheels cause they're light, but they are aluminum alloy's and FWIW they've held up 100% so far.

I'm pretty happy with my Dodge Charger RT wheels.... and I didn't break the bank buying them. I paid around $750 shipped from Las Vegas to Canada w/ new Conti tires - shipping made up more than half that price. I'll have to weigh the RTs against my stock 16s spring time when I swap wheels (I have winter tires on my 16s).

Back