• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers front and rear

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
i was going to put lockers in the front and rear of my comanche, detroit in the back, and selectable up front. or selectable in both. which would be better? what are the issues for onroad use? like in ice or snow? or regular condition roads?

x2 on the detroit, I just put on in the rear of mine, and its fishy in the large amount of snow we just got dumped on us.

I take it you did a lot of searching before you asked this question.
for some help, look at the bottom left of this page which automatically gives some "similar threads" which will help answer your question.

i dont understand why it would be worse then a regualr 4wd vehicle with out lockers. if you ask me i would think lockers would improve it on the ice and snow!

THATS WHY IM ASKING THIS QUESTION!

In snow, somtimes but on ice..no way. When open, one tire can spin and the other w/o power will hold you steady, with a locker both spin causing the rear to want to move faster than the front, and you to spin..so selectable if your doin alot of ice or pack snow.

Last edited:
In snow, somtimes but on ice..no way. when open one tire can spin and the other w/o power will hold you steady, with a locker both spin causing the rear to want to move faster than the front and you to spin..so selectable if your doin alot of ice pack snow.

thankyou kind sir! i understand now.

In snow, somtimes but on ice..no way. When open, one tire can spin and the other w/o power will hold you steady, with a locker both spin causing the rear to want to move faster than the front, and you to spin..so selectable if your doin alot of ice or pack snow.

X2

quite a bit of info on lockers in snow/ice too.

BUT

by 'fishy' I meant what was stated above. the locker ensures both rear wheels spin at the same RPM, which is great when your going straight, not so much when your trying to turn while giving some gas.

as for snow compared to ice. snow is whacky, you get a bit of traction sometimes, or its just mushes and you get very little traction at all.
ice is ice, no traction unless you have no wheel spin. I don't think a locker will make much dif on ice either way as you have about 5% traction at any time on ice.

I don't daily drive my Jeep, only reason I have it out is to enjoy driving around everyone in the white stuff around town. I wouldn't take it out on the hiway or on faster city streets, but short drives I am ok with.

arb front and rear is the way to go IMO.

click, click, lock, lock.....click, click pft, pft unlock, unlock. FTW

$$$$$$$$

~Scott

I have thought about locking the front and rear too. But considering locker breaking loss on ice and snow, i stuck with opens. I decided technic would help in the event when one tire spinning sanerio. Technic is to apply parking brake to apply resistance to the spinning tire. Thus, transfering traction to stuck tire. It works. Just wont help you when you are deep deep into snow. I have not tried applying all the brakes when a front and a rear tire are spinning. (someone want to TEST this IDEA). If i had the money, selectable is the way to go unless its the "hardcore I want to go everywhere rig." lock'em and forget 'em

EVER consider NAXJA should have a TEST THIS IDEA thread? lol

I have thought about locking the front and rear too. But considering locker breaking loss on ice and snow, i stuck with opens. I decided technic would help in the event when one tire spinning sanerio. Technic is to apply parking brake to apply resistance to the spinning tire. Thus, transfering traction to stuck tire. It works. Just wont help you when you are deep deep into snow. I have not tried applying all the brakes when a front and a rear tire are spinning. (someone want to TEST this IDEA). If i had the money, selectable is the way to go unless its the "hardcore I want to go everywhere rig." lock'em and forget 'em

EVER consider NAXJA should have a TEST THIS IDEA thread? lol

at first i thought technic was some type of traction device until i read a little further and realized you meant technique.

We had ice this last week and it was the first time to drive my junk on ice or snow since I locked the front, the rear has been locked for along time. It drove great, very predictable and it didn't have any bad manners. It was slick as all hell as well, hard to walk to the mailbox lol. It also doesn't fall off the road if you spin all four tires it moves around a little but not so much that you can't drive right around all the stuck people with open diffs.

It actually was better than my old trutrac was. The tru trac cut down the turning radius on slick stuff becuase it was tight enough to overcome the friction from the tires when it was icy. The problem with that was it turned like shit in 2wd and 4wd, with the locker it only turns like shit in 4wd.

Back