• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock right issues

fatwreck

NAXJA Forum User
So, I posted here about a month ago that I broke my lock right. I sent it in to them and within a couple of weeks they sent me a new one.

I installed that along with the disc brakes for my 8.25 at the same time.

When I drove it, it was banging obnoxiously around every corner....even highway on/off ramps. So, I called them and they said to check the clearances in between the drivers. The manual says that between .156 and .170 is acceptable. I was at .160....but I didn't know what else to do so I took out one of the thrust washers.

Now it's even worse and it bangs while driving down the highway straight. That doesn't make any sense at all. The tires are the exact same diameter and have the same pressure in them.

Have any of you had a similar problem?

Really, I'd like to just ditch the whole rear axle and get a 9"...but that's not an option right now. :(

Just finished my lockright 8.25 install about a month ago...Its really really really important that you have a good set of thrust washers in there. You can buy a whole bag full of them from the dealership for 10.60. Though a worn out set would mean a bigger driver gap....Um id yank on your axles and see if perhaps they arent securely c-clipped into place. Other than that I can't really think of anything else that would affect it. Mine is actually working great...I barely notice it on the street...

-john

Jack the rear end up and take the diff cover off and spin the tires and watch what it does then post again

I'm wondering now if the disc brakes aren't causing it to have problems. The calipers and brake pads force the rotors to sit in a certain position.....which might mean that the axle shafts and c clips aren't sitting where they need to be.

I'll find out tonight when I take it apart for the 5th time.

The guy at lock right said that I should have .005-.020 between the center pin and the spacer when the drivers are taken out. He also said that there can only be .008 difference between the two sides....which would indicate whether or not the center pin was actually centered in the carrier.

I'll post back tomorrow with my findings.

Brian

Ok, so when I pulled the cover and put the rig on jack stands....I turned the driver's side wheel and the passenger side driver was ratcheting. I then went over to the passenger side wheel and the passenger side driver was still ratcheting.

The driver's side driver wouldn't ratchet at all.

I checked the clearances as they said to. The last time when I took it apart, I pulled the passenger side thrust washer (.030) because I didn't know what else to do to make it better. Well, with both washers in, I had zero clearance between the center pin and the spacers. When I took the passenger side out...I had about .027 clearance.

The guy said it needs to be more like .005-.020. So I think if I pick up some different thrust washers today.....then I should be able to fix it. I hope.

Tampa_XJ said:
like i said earlier jeep or the dodge dealership should have a pack of assorted size washers for 10.60...

I just checked the stealership and they only have these sizes available:

Suggestions?

I really don't want to have my couplers or thrust washers machined....but it looks like I don't have a choice. :(

I'm thinking that you might be right about the disk brakes. Because when I first installed my lockrite I was missing the thrustwashers(didn't read the directions and they got lost in the old oil) and didn't have the right springs for it and the locker still functioned half the time.

Çrestfa||en said:
I'm thinking that you might be right about the disk brakes. Because when I first installed my lockrite I was missing the thrustwashers(didn't read the directions and they got lost in the old oil) and didn't have the right springs for it and the locker still functioned half the time.

nah, the discs have nothing to do with it. the axle is held in place with a combination of the c-clips and the axle shaft hitting the center pin.

I think I'm just going to have the couplers machined for the right clearances....which in my mind is BS. I shouldn't have to do any of this. Different washers I can understand....but if they don't exist....then what. :huh:

that thats pretty retarded but oh well. My install was on a dana35 so theres probably a few differences.

on your stock washers you will have a shape punched on them...circle, square, triangle..You use the corresponding stamped washers out of the dealership bag to replace the worn washer....the shapes correspond to the thickness....I dont have my book at the moment or I'd tell you which is which...

Tampa_XJ said:
on your stock washers you will have a shape punched on them...circle, square, triangle..You use the corresponding stamped washers out of the dealership bag to replace the worn washer....the shapes correspond to the thickness....I dont have my book at the moment or I'd tell you which is which...

thanks, but my washer isn't worn down too far....it needs to be smaller. I need one that is .015" and mine is like .030". the dealer only has the ones listed above.

not that it matters, but I think mine has a circle in it.

Just got off the phone with the guy over at powertrax. He said that he would pull the dimension drawing for my locker and we could compare. So, I busted out a set of dial calipers and started rattling off numbers to him. All of my numbers matched his numbers.

I said, “So, you see the situation I have here, right? I have a factory carrier, a factory thrust washer, and a locker that is supposed to be designed to fit in there…..but it doesn’t. And you told me that I should just get different thrust washers to make it fit right….but those aren’t available to the public….unless you have one made.” He says, “Well, you could send the locker in to us on warranty return and I’ll measure it and send you a new one.”

Didn't we just go through the dimensions? That option would only leave me without a locker for 3 weeks.

So, I just had my shop machine it to the tolerance that I need. Hopefully this will work for me. I can’t imagine that my carrier is out of spec….but it might be. I also can’t imagine that they expect people to have access to a machine shop or dial calipers. :nono:

That's it....I'll stop keeping you guys updated now. :wierd:

not sure who you talked to but i just broke out my pack i purchased from the dodge dealership and I had a stamped circle measuring .015, which was what I used when i replaced the washers in my 8.25 carrier. Now the only thing I can think of is that you talked to an idiot at the dealership and he grabbed the pack for the 29spl 8.25 which has an pentagon instead of a circle in the pack...at any rate atleast you got it fixed!

-John

I lied when I said that I would stop updating you guys.

I put that crap all back together last night and I tested it out on jackstands....everything seemed to be working properly.

I went and drove it though and it is still banging while going down the road straight. Also, when I got home and tried to go up the driveway....it wouldn't engage at all. It was just ratcheting....no power to the wheels. That would almost indicated to me that there is too much clearance now. WTF?

I had to get out and put it in 4wd just to pull back into the garage.

Am I a moron? These things are not complicated.

Put the washers back in...Id rather be under the clearance rating than over it...if your under then your more apt to stay locked all the time as opposed to being unlocked all the time.

Tampa_XJ said:
Put the washers back in...Id rather be under the clearance rating than over it...if your under then your more apt to stay locked all the time as opposed to being unlocked all the time.

The washers are in. That's why I don't understand what the problem is.

Did you get my PM about the part number for the bag of washers you were talking about. I'd like to order them, but the dealership doesn't know anything about them.

So the washers are in, but the lockright has been machined such that the 0.03" washer have the same clearance as 0.015" washers? Maybe it was machined too much?

fatwreck said:
The washers are in. That's why I don't understand what the problem is.

Did you get my PM about the part number for the bag of washers you were talking about. I'd like to order them, but the dealership doesn't know anything about them.
Here is the part # for the washers--04883085
included 2 each.032,.037,.042,.047
Side gear thrust washers
Wayne

Back