• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LIfted XJ with alimnet issues

I am just glad somone finally mentioned the fact that you can't four wheel align a solid rear wheel drive axle. After reading the first couple of posts I was going :huh: .

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
I am just glad somone finally mentioned the fact that you can't four wheel align a solid rear wheel drive axle. After reading the first couple of posts I was going :huh: .
Cool!
You had a little gun come out of the side of your head that shot a little red flag that said "Huh??" on it?
How did you get the question marks to hover over your head?

Get that on video and share it with the rest of us!

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
kid4lyf said:
This kind of alignment will also tell you if the track bar is off.
IOW, is the entire front axle aligned (not just parallel) with the rear axle.
In the box, so to speak.

"Four Wheel Alignment" .....

I'm not going to try and second guess if all alignment shops would be confused if someone asked for a four wheel alignment. But, if they have a clue, they should know what you are asking for. When I first bought my Jeep, I took it to a shop (Goodyear Tire) in town for a front end alignment. They did a four wheel alignment check on it ... in other words, they checked to make sure the front and rear axles were running parallel to each other (I asked the Tech doing the work, BTW).

I do my own alignments at home. I check to make sure my axles are (still) running parallel to each other. I then check to make sure the front axle is (still) centered under the front end. I do this with the vehicle at static, IOW's the vehicle sitting with weight on the suspension. I do this to see if there may be a problem in the rear suspension, or if my (adjustable) LCA's have come out of adjustment or have been bent, or if the (adjustable) track bar is out of adjustment or has been bent. Then I check the other aspects of the alignment.

Because a lot of us on this board have and "abuse" custom suspension components, it is important (if you drive on the street) to check the condition and geometry of all the suspension components. JMO ...

Les

I have the same set up but with a Rough Country lift on a 2001XJ and the resulting same issue(s).
It doesn't pull bad to the right but enough to annoy the hell out of me and cause some tire cupping. I have done all the same things you have to try to resolve it. What a PIA!
Any ideas from anyone on drive shaft vibration possibly causing the issue? I know that I am reaching here but steering like this is a very, very common problem for the XJ after a lift. I am wondering if a slip yoke eliminator has every been found to correct this issue. I do have some vibration.
Vibration can cause a lot of engineering issues. Like I said, I know I am reaching here.

Back