• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought overhead computer console for my 00 XJ. Any tips?

yeah i was happy i didn't fry anything, and lucky!!

yes i swapped out my original keyless board from the overhead light to the new console. (broke one of those darn screws too that holds it in)

as far as reprograming, i'll have to search for a write up hopefully on here or jeepforum or something. i know with many other cars, if you pick up the factory keyless remote and have the modules and stuff, there is a procedure to program it. hoping there's one here for me and that's it, but who knows...

JrTxJ said:

yes i swapped out my original keyless board from the overhead light to the new console. (broke one of those darn screws too that holds it in)

as far as reprograming, i'll have to search for a write up hopefully on here or jeepforum or something. i know with many other cars, if you pick up the factory keyless remote and have the modules and stuff, there is a procedure to program it. hoping there's one here for me and that's it, but who knows...

For 97-01 XJ's the remotes have to be programed with a computer at the dealership. This is what I was told on another thread that is. I tried to do it on my on, but had no luck. So when I got the oil changed at the dealership. I just ask if they could program the remote and they did. Never got charged for it, but I'm sure each dealership is diffrent.
Alex

JrTxJ said:

If you still have your original keyless receiver board it won't need to be reprogrammed. You'll just need to figure out your wiring until you get it to work.
2000XJSPORT said:
For 97-01 XJ's the remotes have to be programed with a computer at the dealership. This is what I was told on another thread that is. I tried to do it on my on, but had no luck. So when I got the oil changed at the dealership. I just ask if they could program the remote and they did. Never got charged for it, but I'm sure each dealership is diffrent.
Alex
It's actually the other way around, the Jeep (receiver board) is programmed to receive the signal the remote sends out. If have have more than one remote you'll need bring them both with you to have the Jeep programmed to recognize BOTH remotes.
So if you lose a remote, get a new one programmed into the Jeep and then find your old remote, your old remote will no longer work since the Jeep will now only recognize the new signal.
Hope that made sense and wasn't more confusing? :D

:)

Big thanks to all for the info in this thread!
I just finished installing the console from a 2000 I won on Ebay into my '99 with no problems at all. Works great, thanks for the good pictures of the headliner cuts, and especially the wiring info in this link. I had a bit of splicing to do, but managed to use my existing wiring harness, plus three wires I ran in addition down to the kick-panel. That and a console bracket from a ZJ (modified a little) and it went quite smooth.
Thanks again all!

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone for the advise and let it be known that searching is the way to find what you need! I installed a overhead console from a 99 in my 01 last night and then fixed it today. I had to relocate the pins in the plug and when it didn't work I knew that it was the white/black wire crossed. Thanks again to everyone.

Getting ready to do one myself. Salvage said $50 with the harness so we will see what all they give me when they get it pulled. One of the yards I talked to told me I would have to have the dealer check my VIN to see if it would work. My XJ is an oddly optioned SE model I guess. It had ABS, power mirrors, AM/FM Cassete, Full Cluster, Rear Defrost and wiper, Sentry lights, Courtesy lights and lighted visors, but it came will roll your own windows and manual locks. It is wired for the temp sensor up front though for sure.

Thanks for the info and links in this post!

Blaine B. said:
Is the compass built in?

Yes, it was only the temperature sensor that was external. Never use a mag-mount CB antenna if you've got an overhead console and want the compass to work...

Salvage just called me, they cut the harness at the bottom of the A-pillar will I be able to run wire for that and make it work still?

BlueCuda said:
Salvage just called me, they cut the harness at the bottom of the A-pillar will I be able to run wire for that and make it work still?

Anyone had to do this?

BlueCuda said:
Anyone had to do this?
Yep it's been done. Someone even has it all diagramed out as to what wire goes where. Run a search and you should find iit.

It would be much easier to just go back to the wrecking yard and get the last 2 feet of wiring you need. Just remove the glove box door (just a few screws) to get to wiring connectors on the passenger kick panel for the overhead console harness. It should take you all of 3 or 4 minutes to remove.

JEEPZZ said:
Yep it's been done. Someone even has it all diagramed out as to what wire goes where. Run a search and you should find iit.

It would be much easier to just go back to the wrecking yard and get the last 2 feet of wiring you need. Just remove the glove box door (just a few screws) to get to wiring connectors on the passenger kick panel for the overhead console harness. It should take you all of 3 or 4 minutes to remove.

Cool, I got the idea from another post that its part of the main harness and involves all the wiring for everything in the cieling? Either way its not a U-pull yard but I will see if I can get them to let me do it.

BlueCuda said:
Cool, I got the idea from another post that its part of the main harness and involves all the wiring for everything in the cieling? Either way its not a U-pull yard but I will see if I can get them to let me do it.
Nope, it's not part of the main harness. If they cut it at the A pillar down by the dash, there will only be another foot or two of wiring before the connectors.

Last edited:
BlueCuda said:
Anyone had to do this?
I just re-read through a few earlier pages in this post and the link I spoke of is listed. It's the Pace-enterprises link. It'll guide you through wiring up the console with your partial harness (or without one altogether). :cheers:

Last edited:
Man, I wish I could put one of those in mine. Unfortunately, mines got a sunroof which is useless with a rack and living in the deep, wet woods.

Wish there was an easy way to remove and patch with a steel panel.

I wonder if you coudl use one from a grand with a sunroof? I am sure the computer part works the same.

This one is from an 04 so I doubt it works but worth checking into them.

get_image.aspx

Back